Gibson Brands Forums

John 5 at Norman's

jaxson50

Thanks for posting, Jaxson.

I like the bit of fun he was having with the rather gorgeous Black'guard. I might have to try that for myself!

[thumbup] Sounds like Norm's books might be pretty interesting.

My thoughts exactly, surf!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

John is a great player, and despite the accoutrements and makeup shenanigans he does for Marylin Manson, he's a pretty down to earth and very caring guy who's traversed a lot of tragedy and loss in a very short time, but he's just kept on going. While I don't care for Marylin Manson, but I like him.

and he has an impressive collection of telecasters...

John was fired from Manson in 2003/2004. (Not Manson's smartest move. But I guess a sober, drug-free guitar player didn't really fit in the end.) But he's played with Rob Zombie since, maybe you're confusing the two?

I was surprised to find out what a great player he was, having only seen him with Manson where he didn't get to do a whole lot.

...and he has an impressive collection of telecasters...

That's the understatement of the day......Lordy Lordy!!!

......msp_scared.gif......msp_w00t.gif......msp_love.gif......

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

I think I'll go for a little lie down...

Pip.

John was fired from Manson in 2003/2004. (Not Manson's smartest move. But I guess a sober, drug-free guitar player didn't really fit in the end.) But he's played with Rob Zombie since, maybe you're confusing the two?

I was surprised to find out what a great player he was, having only seen him with Manson where he didn't get to do a whole lot.

you know what, you're right.... It is Rob Zombie as of late.

John 5 is an awesome player, as good as it gets, I've never met him, but those who I know who have say he is a humble guy how dedicated himself to being a great guitar player and paid his due practicing hour on end.I'm a fan.

msp_thumbup.gif

And there are some dude-bro-ish bragging rights to having been married to Aria Giovanni. In fact, I was hoping he'd change his stage name to "Aria Pro". He was endorsed by Ibanez at the time, so what's the difference.

...I like the bit of fun he was having with the rather gorgeous Black'guard. I might have to try that for myself...
...Tabs?...

Well; I don't know what gauge of strings were on that Tele but if they're .011-.049s he has a much stronger set of fingers that yours truly.......msp_scared.gif.......you should all give it a try!

I know it LOOKS easy but it's deceptive - which is probably why he demo's it here......msp_laugh.gif......

The strength and pressure-accuracy needed are beyond my meagre ability to play the thing neatly.

Also whilst the 'pull' (push) effort needed to get the high E and B (full-tone) bends correct is quite high try the same for the (half-tone) G and you're WAY off. You need only use about 1/5th the effort. Finally the bends on the lower wound strings? Iron Man might, I admit, manage it without breaking into a sweat but me? Not a Hope in Hell.

Perhaps with a set of .007 to around.......ooh......028s......(and a '50 Broadcaster) I could manage?

Perhaps not, though. I won't be giving up the day-job quite yet it would seem.

Pip.

Well aware that it looks easy but probably is anything but!

Fender put a lot more into promoting him than Ibanez did, so I've seen many a YouTube clip since he left Ibanez (and Manson). That guy lives and breathes guitar, and he's very good at it. I'm tempted to try that part, though!

The strength and pressure-accuracy needed are beyond my meagre ability to play the thing neatly....

It's a lot easier once you get rid of the string tree. Notice his strings are above it. He likely just popped the strings out before shooting the clip. I prefer to use compensated height tuners so no trees are necessary.

It's a lot easier once you get rid of the string tree(s). Notice his strings are above it. He likely just popped the strings out before shooting the clip. I prefer to use compensated height tuners so no trees are necessary.

Those kluson style locking Gotohs are available in an adjustable height version for like $65. I ordered some off eBay

Those kluson style locking Gotohs are available in an adjustable height version for like $65. I ordered some off eBay

Yeah, those are cool. I have staggereds on all but one of my Fenders I think.... 1 Sperzel locking, 1 Fender (Schaller) locking, and 2 sets of Callaham vintage tuners.

On the new Tele project I am leaning towards either another set of Callaham's or these vintage styled Gotohs

He covered Beat It on one of his solo albums and killed it.

That's a shame. Usually he seems to be able to play extremely well.

Maybe he just had an off day or, perhaps, that particular song wasn't really his thing?

Pip.

Don't mind me; I was just having a giggle.

It both amuses and baffles me when words are used to mean the opposite of their definition.

"Bad" means "Good"'; "Wicked" means "Wonderful" etc...

Carry On!

Pip.

Don't mind me; I was just having a giggle.

It both amuses and baffles me when words are used to mean the opposite of their definition.

"Bad" means "Good"'; "Wicked" means "Wonderful" etc...

Carry On!

Pip.

Sometimes being bad is good, if the object is to do bad things [biggrin]

Sometimes being bad is good, if the object is to do bad things [biggrin]

And if a 'baddie' is good at his badness he is a good baddie. A lousy baddie would be a bad baddie.

Contrariwise a 'goody' who is sub-par at his work is a bad goody where an outstanding goody is a good goody.

Which, however, would make him, in the vernacular, a 'Bad' goody?.....and....

I'm confused....unsure.gif....

Tell it like it is, Dave!!!

Pip.

Archived