Gibson Brands Forums

Does this exist?

brundaddy

The Music Man 210HD 130 was a 2x10" 130 watt hybrid combo (no sh!t, Sherlock). A solid state pre-amp circuit gives a clean original signal and a 4-stage (apparently) sequentially overdriven all-valve power-amp stage which gives astounding balls-out tones if desired. Absolutely fantastic bits of kit.

The M-M combos were designed by Leo Fender (after his return to work following his health-hiatus) and were specifically intended to be better than the legendary Twin-Reverb design.

M-M amps were, in their day, the amplification of choice for such legendary artists as Eric Clapton, Pippy Connor, David Gilmour and Mark Knopfler to name but three.

Here's a snap of a 212 'Sixty Five' which - I kid you not - is the 210's marginally bigger 2x12" brother (how do they dream up these names?) along with a guitar to give a sense of scale;

Marmalade-1.jpg

Pip.

... My Twin kicks *** but it's a 212 with giant speaker magnets so it's stupidly heavy.

There's a "Catch 22" here. To produce high wattage (in a tube amp) requires a large heavy transformer, and for speakers to handle that power requires large heavy magnets. That's were the weight of a 100+ watt combo tube amp comes from.

The only difference in weight of a high power 212 vs a 210 is basically a little bit of cabinet wood.

Pippy Connor?

"Legend..........

...in his own lunchtime." (to finish the quote).

And yes; as Larry says above, they are still a heavy beast despite being 'only' 2x10.

The official listed weight for the 210HD 130 is 59 lbs. My 212 65 seen in the earlier snap, by contrast, weighs in at 60 lbs. A whole 16 ounces 4 bags of sweets heavier!

That'll be the little bit of cabinet wood, then.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

so, a question, i'm curious...

volume-wise, 100W s.s is not nearly as loud as 100W tube. this amp has both tube and s.s. will it be loud like a tube amp, or not as loud, the way s.s. is?

I'm not sure that 100W SS is actually not as loud as 100W from a tube amp. There are a number of differences that could change your perception of the volume. Speakers, cabs, etc. The way that tubes and solid state amps distort is different, you may hear different harmonics and dynamics from a tube amp that could make you perceive it as louder. Tube amps also often have a higher peak output than their rated wattage.

The aforementioned Music Man is gonna be ******* loud. The amp that Pippy has uses a solid state preamp with a tube phase inverter and tube power amp. The later ones had an all solid state preamp. It seems that most "valvestate" amps now are the other way around; tube preamp and solid state power amp. The idea there is to get more distortion at lower volume, where Leo Fender's goal with the HD-130 was clean headroom

It's worth remembering that you have to double the wattage of an amplifier to perceive a difference in volume. Thus a 100 watt Marshall is barely louder than a 50 watt Marshall. Accordingly an 85 watt Twin Reverb is nearly as loud as a 130 watt Music Man.

It's also worth remembering that an 85 watt Twin Reverb is loud as fuç#!

But it sounds so good turned all the way up!! I never hear anyone talk about its overdriven sound, maybe it is too loud :P

Oh yeah.. twas not a criticism. Just saiyin' 130 watts isn't going to be much louder than a Twin! I mean, my 50 watt Bassman heads would crack plaster!

But it sounds so good turned all the way up!! I never hear anyone talk about its overdriven sound, maybe it is too loud :P

Turned all the way up and an EH LPB in front, maybe even two, and it was something to behold. You couldn't aim that thing up at you, so that's where we actually got the term "pants-flapping". Them were some good times but fortunately the venues just couldn't last, nobody can do that for too long.

rct

Archived