Gibson Brands Forums

School me on buying acoustics on Reverb

theflyingturtle

Opposite the Bay, I only bought one via Reverb and it went sweet'n'smooth.

Just followed the procedure, exchanged a few messages, clicked and voila. .

Trivia >

It was from a Board-member - but I don't even think he knew/knows we are pals here.

Au contrare, my friend. SAME as Ebay. Ask, buy and if anything goes weird they're right on it with direct backup. If you're a seller, it costs less.

I would add that the support staff is obviously more attuned to music gear, and friendlier, like a bunch of old hippies.

As with everything else in life, the best teacher is experience. Learn as much as you can on your own and don't depend on someone else to be your teacher. Everyone has their own experience, be it good or bad. Speaking for myself I've been lucky pretty much in the past and only one transaction that turned out a bit sour. The gent I had the deal was a true gentleman and rectified the problem. I've done very little on the internet over my short time here. Remember, only you will know if'n it was a good deal. Good luck to you!

I sell all the time on Reverb. I highly recommend buying from me. Highly. Really. Highly.

(Reverb is a platform... read the reviews of the seller. you can view feedback for buys and sells. You will care about their feedback on stuff they sold, and not bought. Enjoy the hunt).

Are there any tips for buying safely on Reverb or other noticeable characteristics about Reverb that I should know about?

There's nothing too tricky about buying on the reverb site. For most sellers, you can use paypal or a credit card. (Reverb charges the seller about the same as paypal to use their credit card service.)

The real "safety" trick for buying online in general is research, research, research. Research ebay completed listings to get an idea what a good price is for the guitar you're looking for. When you find a candidate, check all the photos with a fine-tooth comb. Ask for more and specific photos to show the saddle height and string break angle, for example. And ask any questions you may have. As mentioned, check the seller's feedback rating and recent ratings. And if available, make an offer. I got my F50R on reverb. Fabulous guitar. I noticed the seller had reduced the price recently. It was still too expensive for me, but as I watched, he reduced it again, and then again, in just a matter of days. The seller obviously wanted to get this done. So it was apparently a good time to put in an offer a bit below his last reduction. Accepted! I am still ecstatic with this guitar. Best guitar I've ever owned. A real GAS killer. And I figure I got it for about $500 below its value. I'm rather pleased with that as well. msp_thumbup.gif

1497736649[/url]' post='1862730']

I sell all the time on Reverb. I highly recommend buying from me. Highly. Really. Highly.

(Reverb is a platform... read the reviews of the seller. you can view feedback for buys and sells. You will care about their feedback on stuff they sold, and not bought. Enjoy the hunt).

Sal do you still have your Hummingbird Vintage?

Predictably, it helps a lot if you already have a decent amount of knowledge re the item you're looking at.

In a few cases on Reverb, I've found items to be seriously misrepresented in the specs, and when notified via Reverb's in-house email, the sellers did not correct their information. You can also contact Reverb Support re such matters, but that does not necessarily result in any action being taken.

"bluegrass action" = "needs a neck reset"

I don't see any difference between ebay and reverb. It's all in what the buyers and sellers make of it. Reverb HAD a lower final value fee but then ebay sobered up and dropped theirs from 10% to 3.5% to match them. One thing ebay has over reverb is the search function. If I type in "Guild D25" in ebay, I stand a good chance of getting D25,D-25,D 25,D-25M, and so on. I'm not convinced reverb's search would do that. Maybe, maybe not. Not convinced just yet.

As to returns, I have had one guitar returned to me from a reverb sale. The process was no different than how it would have been with ebay. In this case, I pointed out a flaw in a guitar (a Heritage Golden Eagle who's top appeared to be caving in). I pointed this out both through words and photos. The buyer had an issue with it, which was a lot like saying, "I know you said the windshield was cracked, but when I bought it, I didn't realize it was THAT cracked. I had my hopes up that it was only a scratch." As stated, reverb stepped in and froze my money until the return was completed.

Don't think I'm bashing reverb or pushing ebay....it's neither. Just saying, I don't see any palpable difference other than the fact that ebay has a much larger customer base. I can sell stuff on ebay in a week. Maybe I have to relist it, maybe several times, but that is the exception to the rule. I've had stuff sit on reverb for 8 months with less than 100 views.

Buyer beware. Know what you're buying and ask the questions. If it's a maple necked Gibson from the 70s, ask about the neck twist. If it's a Strat Elite from 1983, don't accept the claim that "I have the tremolo arm around here somewhere and will include it if I find it". If it has been refretted, insist on close up pics. If it's a Gretsch, ask for binding pics.

Be smart. Buyer beware. And always always ALWAYS remember, their task is to sell something to you.

Reverb is better than the bay if you're selling. They take less for their piece. Ebay will always side with the buyer, regardless of issues. I had them. I use Reverb now strictly for my GAS flips and keepers. They're good. No trix to it as all have said here. I think you get better prices if you buy

I have bought two guitars on there and found two more (that I ended up driving a ways and purchasing in person). Far superior to the Bay in every way....

I've never used it before and just joined last week. Are there any tips for buying safely on Reverb or other noticeable characteristics about Reverb that I should know about?

Ebay markets everything under the sun, while Reverb is a musician gear site. When you have an issue with a purchase or sale it's easier to haggle with these guys watching your back. You really just have to be knowledgeable about your item and pin down the issues with relevant questions.

As I've said here before, it's so freakin' great to have access to the instruments I love from my desk.

A friend of mine recently bought two CF-100s (an acoustic and an electric) off Reverb. He had no issues and was well pleased with the site. Ironically, he sold one of them recently at a guitar show. The buyer was Chicago Music Exchange which owns Reverb.

Aero, I sold the V to a gent on this site.

Again, reverb is a great fair platform. Customer service, whether chat or phone, are here in the states and Bend over backwards to help.

I have 38 transactions there. Evenly split between buys and sells. Mostly boxes and electronics, but probably ten guitars. I've bought. I've sold. I have a perfect rating. Just like eBay, I'd watch the sellers rep and don't be afraid to negotiate.

Crap, a week ago I listed a mic, a Shure digital MVI, and a DI box. Sold in four hours ... all of them. No holding funds. Paid to my bank upon shipping..

I dig.

Archived