Gibson Brands Forums

AJ

Buc McMaster

That percussive style of playing is hugely popular in the UK, folks like John Gomm and Newton Faulkner are masters of the art. This guy is nailing it too and nice to hear an AJ being employed for it!

The downside with it being so popular over here is that there are a lot of people doing it badly too...it's such a particular and complex style that when done badly it sounds rather like a fire in a pet shop.

Usually this style of playing works better on something like a Rainsong guitar where the clarity (almost to the point of sterility for other styles with those guitars) work to best advantage. My .02 of course.

One example:

https://youtu.be/pB3JL0JKoz4

No criticism of this man's playing either. He obviously has skills and while an AJ is a fine guitar (I own one so obviously I love 'em), it would not be my first choice to showcase this playing style.

That guy's recording of "Beat It" sounded too processed to please. Such percussive style of guitar playing is somewhat popular over in the States as well (e.g. Kaki King) and sounds more natural on guitars that project such playing a little bit better (Rainsong, Ovation, etc) both acoustically and amplified.

I can never remember if it was Beat it or Bad, but Eddie Van Halen played the lead on one of those. That AJ sounded pretty good, even though it was processed quite a bit.

Was Beat it, indeed, very famous solo with the usual van halen tapping:)

Talented, yes, but does it serve the song? I've been to a few open mics in the U.S. where guys play in this style. It's not something I would want a whole evening of, but that's just me.

And, not to sound like an old fuddy-duddy, but it just seems another stylistic fad, like the Dave Matthews wannabes I see playing songs that use eight chords when three would do. That wears thin pretty quickly for me, too.

Ok. Now I have to go outside and tell some kids to get off my lawn....

.........playing songs that use eight chords when three would do.

Amen. Not to dismiss the time, talent and understanding it takes to use those eight chords, but guitar gymnastics wear pretty thin on me as well. Give me a good singer that can accompany him or herself adequately on guitar and I'm a happy listener. Yes, yes I also understand there are those that are impressed with virtuoso instrumentalists........but I'm not among them for very long. Guys like Josh Turner can do both with a very high level of skill but he doesn't let the instrument dominate the performance. It's about the song.....the lyric.....a story to be told.

Archived