Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Height Preferences

Bluesmachine

I dont see where adjusting to a Db sound level on individual poles is needed. Its the same as readjusting your individual poles everytime you turn your amp volume up or down.

The poles affect volume balance and give a slight variance of EQ with mids such as the LP above with the two mid poles dropped and the e and b higher. The Mids will sound scooped and less pronounced. Perhaps the highs less or more sharp etc.

I dont see where re-adjusting is required for gig to gig. I agree the EQs will vary and and the volume, quite possibly the highs and so forth may appear sharp or flat and in need of eq adjusting. You dont need to adjust the guitar poles though or heights.

Its like saying youll adjust your guitar to whatever amp setting is set and whereever. imho its the opposite way around.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you could hear the difference in pickup heights on my guitars

They cant hear ****, not missed notes not different guitars, none of it. BUT, that doesnt account for the player and what they hear.

Here's a sample of one setting I did during a jam... as I mentioned earlier, none of my LP have the same settings. Always carry a small screw driver to adjust on the spot at gig level!

Also, if I adjust without the rest of the band, I tend to take too long tweaking and hearing fatigue sets in quickly in minutes. I learned to adjust for only a few minutes and then try it again much later... LOL... minimizes my frustration.

20170705_121607_zps3mafiuj7.jpg

Why are those two mid poles D+G dropped and the E + B are higher, what pick-ups are they? You placed emphasis on the highs and dropped the mids why?

Also if you look at his pick-up poles above, the E+A match, the D+G match and the E +B match, pretty much anyway. So your keeping a double string balance on the lows mids and highs in volume and eq, BUT the mids are dropped for less emphasis, the highs for more in a up ward position.

Thats what I see above what do you see?

Put it this way what would happen if your raised the D pole to the radius curve? You would have no balance in the mids and a eq difference?

Also if you look at his pick-up poles above, the E+A match, the D+G match and the E +B match, pretty much anyway. So your keeping a double string balance on the lows mids and highs in volume and eq, BUT the mids are dropped for less emphasis, the highs for more in a up ward position.

Thats what I see above what do you see?

Put it this way what would happen if your raised the D pole to the radius curve? You would have no balance in the mids and a eq difference?

The adjustment is done when I play solos. I can easily hear volume differences from one note to the other...I then adjust accordingly. I do not purposely adjust to visual level... it's just the way I hear the strings. Once set, I never had to readjust again.

I also noticed that some pickups do not have this settings on poles screws. My 490R just has the same height on the pole screws.

I also tried using a dB meter to measure sound pressure. This helped a little but hearing the notes when playing requires more tweaking. Maybe my ears are now old and not sensitive in discriminating frequencies.

Ah I see, I just dont understand why every venue this is required. The balance on the poles to the strings in relation to string height, I was thinking when I looked at the photo-neck poles, like you confirm, you hear and react to the mids highs and adjust etc, for example though, say you go to another venue today, your highs need to be raised, your mids lowered, but when you raise them and they are now too close to the strings, or the mids cant be screwed down anymore, then what? Why not set this once and then adjust their EQ which is basically what you do with the poles as it shows.

Im not saying your right or wrong, I just never heard of that or quite understand why thats required, perhaps, I'm just misunderstanding something.

My 490R just has the same height on the pole screws.

So the 490R is the same, what is in the LP? Another modern [midrange] voiced pickup? I think the 490 is advertised as such though?

It would be a big mistake to assume that all humbuckers sound alike. Truth is, there are a number of Gibson humbucking pickups available, and each one has its own distinctive personality. The "Modern Classic" Series from Gibson features tonal characteristics that are similar to the company's popular '57 Classic, but with a slight increase in the upper midrange.

rct:

LOL... of course no one can hear the heights on a pickup just by hearing! It was with reference to "relative volume" of one string to the other when one plays. I believe my overall pickup height is lower than recommended by Gibson. This necessitated adjusting the screws. Anyone can tell a drop in volume when you play individual strings during a solo in a gig.

Darn... wish I could tell the pickup heights by hearing and gladly adopt your axes! rolleyes.gif

Golden:

Once I set the pickup heights and screws, it remains that way for years. I do not set the pickup screws gig to gig. Like you mentioned, I do set the EQ/volume of the amp to accommodate each venue. I first EQ/volume of the amp to the pickup used for lead; then drop my guitar volume knobs almost half way down. I use my LP volume/tone knobs almost the rest of the night.

What I'm trying to convey, is that one should set pickups when practicing with the band at gig level...especially if you like low output pickups at lower heights. Setting pickups in the bedroom may not work with the rest of the band when playing gig level. This is just the method I use; but all is subjective and individually set.... no right or wrong!

The LP Standard above has burst buckers. Other LP with 490R/498T do not seem to require the pickup screws adjustment as much. I'll check the 57's pickup when I get home. It also depends on the guitar. I have 490R on a Lucille and the screws are almost all the same level.

Ah I see this post was confusing............

All my Gibson HB are set different heights and string screw poles all different from each other.

Adjustment is set during gigs and at gig db level. I noticed that the screw level does make a lot of difference especially since my guitar volume is usually in the mid position. I don't know why the difference even with identical models.

Once I set the pickup heights and screws, it remains that way for years. I do not set the pickup screws gig to gig.

[thumbup]

Archived