Gibson Brands Forums

Open back or Closed back Cab

Karloff

well Doug...

how bout "both"

As one example. the combo (on top) is open back, the ext. cab is closed.

20161115_142246_zpsk7ifjzei.jpg

If I had to choose, one or the other, I think I'd go with open... they just seem to cut in the mix a bit better.

I've mostly played with closed cabinet with my 2x12, 4x12 or the two 4x12 cabinets over the years when I was playing and touring. My Fender Twin Reverb was open in the back, so was my Crate and Peavey amps back in the day. My Marshall combo is closed. My Randall half stack has a closed 4x12 cabinet. My Fender Mustang is also closed cabinet.

For the sound I'm going for out of my guitars, closed cabinets have been my favorites over the years for the extra bass sound (perhaps perceived and not real). It's more of a sonic quality choice than an actual preference. I think it would vary person by person based on the tone of the amp and how each amp sounds through an open or closed cabinet with various guitars and amp settings and the sound they're looking for. That and less critters and dust can get in a closed cabinet than an open. [tongue]

Depends on the amp. I like the open back cab on my Fender combos. But for my Marshalls, the closed back cab is the way to go. The semi open back cab is a good compromise - like the Avatar 2-12s I use sometimes.

For me, it depends on the venue! Large venue stages, or out doors, I prefer closed back, for it's projection.

Smaller clubs, and bars, open back, for a more "wrap around" sound ambiance. Although, if everything is

mic'd, through the PA, then cabinet style is less critical, IMHO.

CB

I never thought much about it until I got my Carvin Legacy. That amp was very bass heavy when I got it. That amp is closed-back by default, but the back is very easily removed. So I made it open for awhile, in an attempt to tame the bass response. Since having my amp re-tubed and tuned-up it's not so muddy now, so I've returned to the closed back, which is working out fine.

Guest Farnsbarns

Depends entirely on the size of the cab, the location in the room and the output stage of the amp, all of which vary depending on the speaker(s).

I always preferred closed-back. It was recommended that I use closed-back, because "Open back cabs allow sound to escape out the back.".

Not sure if this guy knew what he was talking about, or was full of it. But it made sense to me at the time, and so the preference stuck.

Depends on the situation for me - I like to use open backs when I have to stand on top of my amp or in a room by myself. Closed back for some recording and/or if I can stand a bit off from my amp. Can't go wrong though, both are great options.

Archived