Gibson Brands Forums

Why are the 70s LP std Goldtops not a collectible

jobberone

Could you be a little more clear as to "Not as desirable" I personally would take any Lesters as long as they are not the new Standards with the massive chambering...

I don't really know. Something about sustain?? Quality?? I've read a lot but I don't exactly trust everything I read or hear. I see where 70s don't bring the money 80s do much less 50s and 60s comparing same models.

Why is that?

Ok, I think I understand, alot of 70's guitars are called "Norlin Era" guitars, hope this helps

Gibson stopped making the '50s Les Pauls in 1960, though there are some very rare '61s floating around.

In 1968, they started again, and the only way they new how was the way they did it before, so these guitars are worth a lot.

In 1969, they started making some changes, so these are guitars are also worth a lot, depending...

1970 saw the introduction of the "Norlin" Les Paul. Changes included flatter tops, volutes on the neck, larger headstocks, and the dreaded "pancake bodies".

The Norlin period continued through until the 1986, when the company was sold to the current owner, Darth Juszkiewicz

Then Gibson went back to the semi-original ways in 1986 and the sell a little bit more...

There is a lot of negative crap floating around regarding the Norlin era Gibsons. There were changes made from the original Gibson designs that many purists don't like. Some of the changes were made to fix "problems" associated with the original designs, such as adding a volute to strengthen the notoriously weak neck/headstock angle. Some of the changes were made to "make" the guitar sound better like changing the neck from mahogany to maple. I have owned two Norlin's, a 1974 deluxe and a 1979 standard, they were excellent guitars, pancake bodies, volutes and all. Pickup and play some old Norlins and see what you think, some of them are sweet guitars.

My .02

Well, every piece of wood is unique...so you can't say that all 70's Les Paul 'suck' tone. The only way to discover the differences in build quality/playability/feel/tone between 70's/early 80's vs mid/late 80's LP's is to play them side by side. Around 1986 Gbson made certain important changes to the Les Paul, so I agree with Madguitarist78. I played a '86 Les Paul Standard a few months ago and it was a beautifully, high quality made axe. Great neck, great woods, smooth playability, good weight (not too heavy, not too light), amazing tone. It sang. I dearly LOVE my own late 80's Les Paul Standard as well. I love the 60's neck, low action without buzzing, ebony fretboard and above all its wonderful tone; very warm, clear and rich with a great balance between the pickups as well. Play an open G (from the neck to the bridge pickup) and you'll notice its monsterous tone that rings forever. Anyway, I don't have enough words to express my love for that guitar.

I thought Slash really loved an '88 Les Paul Standard as well.

About the Norlin stuff:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129108

Well' date=' every piece of wood is unique...so you can't say that all 70's Les Paul 'suck' tone. The only way to discover the differences in build quality/playability/feel/tone between 70's/early 80's vs mid/late 80's LP's is to play them side by side.[/quote']

+1

From Bram: http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129108

Good read. Thanks. I'll have to read it a few times as my memory is going but a lot there. Thanks to all.

I haven't played in over 35 years and I never was any good. I still was surprised I'd lost most of it though. I've played an acoustic and AE but never played electric. The electric is a totally different animal and way kool. I picked up a Westbury Custom from the 70s and it plays well. I've got a Gibson BB King Standard from 84 coming. I still want a LP but I may wait awhile until I'm playing better to get one and just enjoy the others. Or should I pick up a Paul? One of my kids is already stealing the Westbury.

I still want a LP but I may wait awhile until I'm playing better to get one and just enjoy the others. Or should I pick up a Paul? One of my kids is already stealing the Westbury.

Haha, well...that's a simple question to answer: PICK IT UP IMMEDIATELY!

Ok, serious:

Go for it if you think you're doing yourself justice with it. If you feel comfortable with the tone and playability you get from a Les Paul, then I think there's no reason to NOT purchase a Gibson Les Paul (unless you can't afford one).

Take your time, look around, go to guitar shops and play a couple of Les Pauls through a tube amp. Follow your thoughts and get yourself the 'best' Les Paul you can afford.

You can get a great/decent LP tone at a low price, but maybe you love Les Paul Customs (for tone/feel)...but those will cost you a lot more money.

Take your time.

I'm new to electrics. Looked around and saw the 70s LPs are not as desirable. What do you people have to say? I want to hear you and not read about it.

Pretty well documented so all I can add is that the build changes Norlin introduced to the Les Paul line beginning around '69 were also accompanied by a lot of quality problems. I was in music retail around that time and it was not unusual to have to reject or return 20% or more of shipments from Gibson due to unacceptable quality. Customers started to notice the design changes, like laminated bodies & necks and didn't like what they saw. I finally got to the point where I'd have to personally inspect each instrument that came in, which led to some rather pointed exchanges with the Gibson sales rep when I had him take the stuff back, exchange it, etc. All this led to them selling "seconds", which didn't help their reputation any, either. It was also pretty obvious Norlin was changing the build specs on the Les Pauls and other electrics as a cost cutting measure. One customer, having declined to take delivery of his cherry sunburst LP Custom left me a note that read, "Thanks, but no planks." Gibson management was not very cutomer sensitive, in fact they were the polar opposite, taking a high-handed, condescending attitude towards any criticism at all. The management team was dominated by some rather old-school guys, like Bruce Bolen, who were heavily influenced by Les and his generation, and not particularly attuned to or respectful of contemporary musicians and their needs.

All that being said, there were some fine guitars that came out during that period and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if the price was right. To date I've owned nine Les Pauls, including a '54, '57 and a '60 Burst, and one of the all time best was a '72 LP Custom. As others have said, you just have to play 'em to know.

Archived