Gibson Brands Forums

Faded SG Special Pickup Upgrade

Jagg

Hi,

I posted here a few weeks back asking for advice on upgrading the pups on a Faded SG Special. Well, just as an update, I decided on Seymour Duncan '59 Model pups. And they sound amazing. It's like a totally different guitar. I also added a tusq nut, which really does seem to help with the tone and sustain. As a few asthetics, I replaced the plain black truss rod cover with a two ply black and white with "SG" inscribed on it, and I replaced the plain black top hat knobs with some chrome capped knobs...kinda makes it look vintage. And finally, I replaced the stop bar tailpiece with Gibsons TP-6 fine tuning tailpiece (found a great deal on ebay), which I now believe should come stock on all Gibsons. I couldn't be happier with it to tell the truth. I was starting to consider purchaing a SG Standard, but now, I think this Special is just as good or better then any Standard. I guarantee the pickups sound better then any SG standard (at least to my ears).

Also, someone here (can't remember who) suggested the "zebra" or black and white pups. Said that they thought they would look good on the faded brown finish...well, they were right...they look awesome. Matches well with the black and white pickguard and truss cover. I spent less than $250 on parts to upgrade this low end Gibson, and I ended up with what I feel is very comparable to Gibsons high end SGs...only without all the paint and binding to gawdy it up. :(/ So now, I've got a really killer looking SG that sounds completely awesome without the ridiculous price tag.

So if ya got a Faded SG and are thinkin' about buying a more expensive one, I would advise just upgrading it...it's made out of the same wood that the Standards are and the absense of the paint and binding is only a good thing in my opinion.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Regards,

MJ

I'm glad you got what you wanted. I'm taking a different tack on mine: I replaced the chrome screws with black, and maybe next month I'll go for chrome pickup covers and a Bigsby B5 (I bought it with the idea of getting a Bigsby Palm Pedal, but haven't found one available).

I like the lack of bling. It's a well-designed and well-made axe that doesn't need any frou frou.

After adding the SD JB in my standard' date=' I am seriously considering getting the SD jazz/jb set for my faded. I was going to go P-90's and still might but that JB is just awesome. [/quote']

Has anyone ever tried the Bareknuckle or Swineshead pickups? I had never heard of them before. They are both out of the UK. Some boutique pickups I guess. I considered these but decided to go with the Seymours since I was a bit more familiar with them. Heres the websites if you wanna check them out. I've heard that they are both excellent pups.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/

MJ

I'm glad you got what you wanted. I'm taking a different tack on mine: I replaced the chrome screws with black' date=' and maybe next month I'll go for chrome pickup covers and a Bigsby B5 (I bought it with the idea of getting a Bigsby Palm Pedal, but haven't found one available).[/quote']

That's exactly what I did, and it looks great. I love the look of Bigsbys, but the chrome covers really make it look like a "real" guitar. I went with a Seth Lover in the bridge and a Duncan '59 in the neck.

As an aside, I had a Bigsby Palm Pedal on a Tele for a while. I found it to be a real bear to learn how to use... You really have to have an ear for pedal steel and good coordination to make it sound decent. I, unfortunately, have neither....

Archived