Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 Neck Relief

mikejr

Hey guys - have a question and hope you can help.

I purchased a used (2012) 335 from GC recently, and it plays beautifully with the exception of the low E action being a little high (adjusting bridge lower results in some acoustic buzz).

It appears that the bass side of the instrument has about 2mm more relief in the neck that the treble side - more or less centered at the 12th fret. Is this by design, or has my neck warped/twisted?

I'm inclined to keep it primarily because otherwise the instrument is flawless - and it still plays well if a little idiosyncratic.

I'm still within my return window, please advise.

Hey guys - have a question and hope you can help.

I purchased a used (2012) 335 from GC recently, and it plays beautifully with the exception of the low E action being a little high (adjusting bridge lower results in some acoustic buzz).

It appears that the bass side of the instrument has about 2mm more relief in the neck that the treble side - more or less centered at the 12th fret. Is this by design, or has my neck warped/twisted?

I'm inclined to keep it primarily because otherwise the instrument is flawless - and it still plays well if a little idiosyncratic.

I'm still within my return window, please advise.

You mean the action is 2mm on the 12th. Fret... sounds about right for moderate aggressive playing style with 10 gauge string set. With this setting, have you checked the nut height (distance from the 1st fret to bottom of the string)?

Increasing the neck relief to about 0.012" (when you "capo" the 1st. fret and press on the17th. fret... the distance from the bottom of the string to the 7th-9th fret is the relief of the neck) may able you to lower the bridge without acoustic buzz.

You can try the hybrid set with heavier wound strings for the E-A-D.

I find that it's difficult to set each Gibson guitar neck with the same playing specs. Some I can set very low action without buzz. It's all individually adjusted to one's playing style and preferences without buzzing...each neck is different. It's best to keep tweaking and have fun playing!

Yeah - sadly when I capo the 1st fret, and hold the 15th the relief on the bass side is a little more than a business card (at the 7th), and less than a sheet of paper on the treble side. I took it to my tech, who discerned the neck is indeed twisted and advised returning it. He was under the impression it would only get worse with time.

Sounds like the neck is twisting some, the relief should look the same on both the bass and treble sides, regardless of the actual measurements. This can only lead to further problems with intonation, action etc, as long as you can return it, I would as that neck isn't going to straighten itself out.

Too bad, but there are plenty of 335s out there I'm sure you can find one in better condition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I concur with prior advice, starting with your tech's: I'd return the guitar. If I didn't return it, I'd be thinking about that twisted neck, what it might do, etc.

Relief and action are highly individual. Because I like a neck with as close to no relief as possible, the condition you describe on your guitar would really stand out, and quickly become intolerable.

Though GC is often bashed, there are solid instruments at great prices to be had, and the 45 day return policy is perfect for just the kind of condition you found.

Best of luck!

Archived