Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge height on 1970-72 J-45

Stevi q

Can anyone tell me what is the height in the center of there 12" radius j-45 bridge ? my 1970-1972 J-45 bridge is 9/32nds in the dead center right on the seam..It needs a neck reset and I think they may have shaved it a bit .i hope o don't have to make a new bridge .I appreciate anyone's help on this ,thanks.

Typically, necks from that era were prone to be 'underset' from the factory- bridges were often on the thin side to compensate for that. Once your neck is reset, a taller saddle may solve the issue. If not, a new bridge will, and will likely be an improvement over the original.

Typically, necks from that era were prone to be 'underset' from the factory- bridges were often on the thin side to compensate for that. Once your neck is reset, a taller saddle may solve the issue. If not, a new bridge will, and will likely be an improvement over the original.

Thanks for the information.I have a 1969 LGO and the bridge is only 8/32".this J-45 was Definately underset.That just opened my eyes up.Whats your opinion on a 12" radius bridge opposed to a flat non radius bridge?Thank you very much

OC is right about the habitually underset necks of the Norlin era. Your bridge height sounds about right so I wouldn't imagine it would need a new bridge.

The '70s acoustics get a bad rap but I've played some J45s and, particularly, the maple Gospels that were gems. In fact, I remember a '76 Gospel that a dealer friend had in stock several years ago which was one of the best guitars I've played. I'd love to own one one day.

I hope your reset and rehabilitation of your J45 goes well, would love to see some before and after pics one day!

Can anyone tell me what is the height in the center of there 12" radius j-45 bridge ? my 1970-1972 J-45 bridge is 9/32nds in the dead center right on the seam..It needs a neck reset and I think they may have shaved it a bit .i hope o don't have to make a new bridge .I appreciate anyone's help on this ,thanks.

Just warning you not to expect too much. I have a 1972 SJ Deluxe and I've had two Gibson authorized repairers work on its neck to try to lower the action around the 12th fret. They had very limited success because of the way the guitar's neck, neck joint, etc are positioned from when the guitar was made. I have since played numerous Gibsons from that era at vintage guitar shows and their action is all higher than 60's and modern Gibsons. Both Gibson repairers were respectable luthiers. I have learned to live with it and actually have found my '72 is louder than most guitars because of the higher angle of the strings over the soundhole. Action is great in the first positions on the neck and I've learned to easily play up the neck fine despite the higher action up its neck with no prob. It just looks higher than it should be by today's standards and compared to other guitars, but it plays fine. Awesome as a matter of fact. Plus, it's time has aged quite well!

Just my experience.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

OC is right about the habitually underset necks of the Norlin era. Your bridge height sounds about right so I wouldn't imagine it would need a new bridge.

The '70s acoustics get a bad rap but I've played some J45s and, particularly, the maple Gospels that were gems. In fact, I remember a '76 Gospel that a dealer friend had in stock several years ago which was one of the best guitars I've played. I'd love to own one one day.

I hope your reset and rehabilitation of your J45 goes well, would love to see some before and after pics one day!

Those maple Gospels are often really exceptional guitars - had a chance at one years ago for a low price even back then, but waited a day too long😕 Some of the 70's era J45/50's can turn out well, too, after a little work....

Just warning you not to expect too much. I have a 1972 SJ Deluxe and I've had two Gibson authorized repairers work on its neck to try to lower the action around the 12th fret. They had very limited success because of the way the guitar's neck, neck joint, etc are positioned from when the guitar was made. I have since played numerous Gibsons from that era at vintage guitar shows and their action is all higher than 60's and modern Gibsons. Both Gibson repairers were respectable luthiers. I have learned to live with it and actually have found my '72 is louder than most guitars because of the higher angle of the strings over the soundhole. Action is great in the first positions on the neck and I've learned to easily play up the neck fine despite the higher action up its neck with no prob. It just looks higher than it should be by today's standards and compared to other guitars, but it plays fine. Awesome as a matter of fact. Plus, it's time has aged quite well!

Just my experience.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff thanks for the information jazzman.I am thinking your 1972 SJ deluxe has the paddle joint .My 1971 J-45 doesn't have the paddle extension ,it just has a regular neck block.Its interesting because maybe that can tell us that they started the paddle joint in 1972 .I am really curious as to why your neck angle couldn't be reset.Can you measure how much saddle is sticking up put of the bridge Thanks jazz

"Can you measure how much saddle is sticking up put of the bridge Thanks jazz"

Unfortunately I am about 200 miles away from my SJ Deluxe right now due to the holiday week. (I have my Epiphone EL 00 Pro with me as my travel guitar). But, I can tell you that the saddle on my 72 SK Deluxe is about as low as low can get over the bridge. Been that way for some time, for sure since before the times I had authorized Gibson repairmen work on the guitar.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived