Gibson Brands Forums

iRig Acoustic Stage Unboxing and Audio Test

drathbun

I didn't want to hijack BluesKing's thread on his tests with the iRig Acoustic Stage so I started a new one here.

I've just completed an unboxing YouTube video of the iRig and added an A/B audio comparison of the iRig to a Rode M5 Condenser microphone.

I connected the iRig directly to the right channel of my Zoom UAC-2 digital audio interface and my Rode M5 Condenser to the left channel. I recorded the left and right signals on two separate mono audio tracks and automated muting each track with the pans set to dead centre and no compression, EQ or effects. I adjusted the volumes of each signal so they were roughly the same.

As you can hear, my SJ200 sounds woody and acoustic (though far from pleasing or perfect with no manipulation) and the iRig sounds bright and a bit harsh to my ear. The iRig's volume was set about 2 o'clock and the EQ setting on the preamp beltpack was on steel string "natural". After flipping back and forth between the two signals on the test, I hard panned the Rode left and the iRig right. The result, with absolutely NO post-processing at all, is quite nice. For the last small fingerstyle piece, I added exactly the same compression, EQ and reverb to both tracks. I flip back and forth with both tracks going down the centre. I think it is remarkable that the iRig is hardly distinguishable with the Rode. For the last little bit of the fingerstyle I panned both post-processed signals hard right and left and the result is very nice.

The EQ setting I use is a saved preset specially designed for the J200 guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dussXPzJTE

Thanks Doug!

Very enjoyable video, thanks.

You are way calmer than me when unboxing gadgetry [tongue]

Now, a couple of points - I think you should get a fuller sound with just the iRig on its own if you run the volume control higher, try it anyway. Also, do we think there is any sort of sensor in the guitar pick shape? If so, the tape might be better on the outside to keep the mic part in contact with the guitar better? Not sure about any of that, need to try it.

I have 2 Rode M5s for stereo, but they have been lying in the case since I got my Neumann KM185....all I can say is that I hope Neumann make one of these clip on suckers!

Live (not happening - they can' afford to match my day rates), I would use my mixer with my beautiful Shure in-ear monitors and turn the floor monitor/amp off. No feedback then. The gadget will notch the feedback up to 10 times to try to eliminate all but the louder you get, well....back to the undersaddle quacker we go and Aura box! I don't really like the sound of the preamp with it overnotched - I must like the feedback frequencies!

BluesKing777.

I will be trying the iRig on my next series of recordings. Just the fact that I could get the IRig sounding very similar to my Rode without much tweaking means it will be very useful.

I think the entire pickup is inside the plastic stack and the plastic pick shaped part is just structure. They wouldn't let you bend it otherwise.

I couldn't get the IRig to connect to the PC with the USB connection however. Is there a trick to that?

I will be trying the iRig on my next series of recordings. Just the fact that I could get the IRig sounding very similar to my Rode without much tweaking means it will be very useful.

I think the entire pickup is inside the plastic stack and the plastic pick shaped part is just structure. They wouldn't let you bend it otherwise.

I couldn't get the IRig to connect to the PC with the USB connection however. Is there a trick to that?

I haven't tried the USB to a PC yet.

Too many cans of worms - when I got the Boss VE8 Acoustic Guitar box, it says USB out but the old iMac said "Computer says NO!" So off to the laptop Mac we went to be told the system was not up to date and....forget it. (it is the most up to date laptop Mac on the planet!)

My A & H mixer is happily connecting to the old iMac and I use that all the time. I can't see using the iRig direct because I usually sing.

BluesKing777.

I haven't tried the USB to a PC yet.

Too many cans of worms - when I got the Boss VE8 Acoustic Guitar box, it says USB out but the old iMac said "Computer says NO!" So off to the laptop Mac we went to be told the system was not up to date and....forget it. (it is the most up to date laptop Mac on the planet!)

My A & H mixer is happily connecting to the old iMac and I use that all the time. I can't see using the iRig direct because I usually sing.

BluesKing777.

Which Allen & Heath mixer do you have BK? They are awesome pieces of equipment.

Which Allen & Heath mixer do you have BK? They are awesome pieces of equipment.

I have the A7H ZED60-10FX, bought it a few years back now.

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zed60-10fx/

One of the best things I have done - I run all my recorded tracks through it by using the USB out direct to my computer. Not a noise or squelch in site though it is only 16/48, otherwise my old iMac G5 would not have worked with it. Still happy with the G5 as a standalone recording studio too, it has been years......no need for anything else unless video is involved. A friend was playing one of my guitars through my setup a year or so ago and went frothing at the mouth to the nearest A&H retailer and came home with the ZED60 -14FX with a few extra tracks to use at home and with his duo/trio things. I see he bought an iMac too! [thumbup]

Add one or 2 Neumann KM184s! Heaven for home recording!

(A friend died of cancer and left me his whole recording studio years ago, but no room and it was ridiculous using one of the 32 tracks!, so I gave it all to a budding young guitarist I know to record his opus, but who promptly pawned it all).

BluesKing777.

I have the A7H ZED60-10FX, bought it a few years back now.

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zed60-10fx/

One of the best things I have done - I run all my recorded tracks through it by using the USB out direct to my computer. Not a noise or squelch in site though it is only 16/48, otherwise my old iMac G5 would not have worked with it. Still happy with the G5 as a standalone recording studio too, it has been years......no need for anything else unless video is involved. A friend was playing one of my guitars through my setup a year or so ago and went frothing at the mouth to the nearest A&H retailer and came home with the ZED60 -14FX with a few extra tracks to use at home and with his duo/trio things. I see he bought an iMac too! [thumbup]

Add one or 2 Neumann KM184s! Heaven for home recording!

(A friend died of cancer and left me his whole recording studio years ago, but no room and it was ridiculous using one of the 32 tracks!, so I gave it all to a budding young guitarist I know to record his opus, but who promptly pawned it all).

BluesKing777.

I sold a bunch of those mixers in my time at Long & McQuade! They are easily the quietest, consumer grade mixers on the market. I agree with the Neumann's being the cat's *** but I always remind myself that great microphones reveal EVERYTHING. So, until I improve my playing skills, I'll save my money and stick with my Rode NT1A.

After a day of back and forth with IK Multimedia tech support (very good, very quick), and fiddling with various configuration issues between Win10, iRig and Sonar, I've finally got the iRig Acoustic Stage pickup to connect USB.

The first issue was something that should be in the documentation (sparse as it is) or at least on their FAQ (sparse as that is too). A gentleman from tech support gave me a list of instructions for downloading a free ASIO driver called ASIO4ALL and installing it. Supposedly, that would allow Sonar to see both my Zoom UAC-2 audio interface and the iRig as separate ASIO audio devices. I did the install and configured Sonar but the ASIO panel showed a big red X next to the iRig.

I fiddled with audio settings in Win10, Sonar and iRig all day until I stumbled across an item in Win10's Sound control panel. It showed the list of my audio inputs, including the iRig mic. I went into the properties and in a tab called "Listen" unchecked a box that said, "Listen to this device". Since it defaulted to listening to the device THROUGH my Zoom UAC, I suspected a conflict. That did it. Now the iRig is available alongside my default audio device.

I guess if you're plugging the thing into a USB port on your laptop, you'll have no issues.

I will give the USB a try later, haven't yet.

So you want to run your acoustic guitar tracks separately to overdub? I don't really need it for recording - I am happy to run through my A&H mixer (I see the new version of my Zed60-10FX has been upgraded to 24 bit/96kHZ USB!) to my old iMac (which would only be able to giggle at 24 bit) in my music room, Macbook sits in the dining room or lounge room, ghastly old PC supplied by work sits in the office running on Chrome which seems to hate everything I like, so won't even bother that one!

I went through a similar business to you with loading my Fishman Spectrum Aura image library and eventually got it to work on the Better Half's work PC laptop! Oh patience! (I sat near and did the file cleaning stuff after a Help desk department did their best to get rid, I mean HELP people...ha ha ha [cursing] Forget it. Go to the top, I say! [thumbup]

Also the Boss VE8 claims to work by USB but hasn't and I gave up when it didn't come up on my MacBook.

Oh, I am still waiting for the Martin soundclip/video, Doug!

BluesKing777.

I will give the USB a try later, haven't yet.

So you want to run your acoustic guitar tracks separately to overdub? I don't really need it for recording - I am happy to run through my A&H mixer (I see the new version of my Zed60-10FX has been upgraded to 24 bit/96kHZ USB!) to my old iMac (which would only be able to giggle at 24 bit) in my music room, Macbook sits in the dining room or lounge room, ghastly old PC supplied by work sits in the office running on Chrome which seems to hate everything I like, so won't even bother that one!

I went through a similar business to you with loading my Fishman Spectrum Aura image library and eventually got it to work on the Better Half's work PC laptop! Oh patience! (I sat near and did the file cleaning stuff after a Help desk department did their best to get rid, I mean HELP people...ha ha ha [cursing] Forget it. Go to the top, I say! [thumbup]

Also the Boss VE8 claims to work by USB but hasn't and I gave up when it didn't come up on my MacBook.

Oh, I am still waiting for the Martin soundclip/video, Doug!

BluesKing777.

Wait no further BK. Here is the track I've been working on for a couple weeks. I added the 2nd guitar part (Maury Muehleisen) last night using the iRig plugged in analog rather than USB. The main acoustic part was recorded with a stereo matched pair of Rode M5's. Both guitar parts are the Martin 000-28vs.

The second guitar part to this song wasn't easy to track down! There are no videos that show what Maury was doing, no tabs, and although there were plenty of guitar lessons on YouTube for the main guitar part, nothing for the Maury part. There was one video of a couple of dudes playing the tune very well. I could see the second guitarist playing with capo 7. So I transposed the main chords from A to D and tried to figure out his picking pattern. I spent the whole day yesterday just transposing and figuring out the pattern. Once I had it, I recorded it about 1:30am this morning. A nicely challenging piece! I might add this audio to a YouTube video of me playing the second guitar part on the Martin.

I think the next one will be "Operator".

I Have To Say I Love You In A Song

Wait no further BK. Here is the track I've been working on for a couple weeks. I added the 2nd guitar part (Maury Muehleisen) last night using the iRig plugged in analog rather than USB. The main acoustic part was recorded with a stereo matched pair of Rode M5's. Both guitar parts are the Martin 000-28vs.

The second guitar part to this song wasn't easy to track down! There are no videos that show what Maury was doing, no tabs, and although there were plenty of guitar lessons on YouTube for the main guitar part, nothing for the Maury part. There was one video of a couple of dudes playing the tune very well. I could see the second guitarist playing with capo 7. So I transposed the main chords from A to D and tried to figure out his picking pattern. I spent the whole day yesterday just transposing and figuring out the pattern. Once I had it, I recorded it about 1:30am this morning. A nicely challenging piece! I might add this audio to a YouTube video of me playing the second guitar part on the Martin.

I think the next one will be "Operator".

I Have To Say I Love You In A Song

Aha!

There is a lot there to hear! Sounds very good, Doug.

But I listened to the track with my Sennheiser trusty old headphones and not many others would say this perhaps or even notice, but I can hear the higher quality of the Rodes against the slightly 'grainy' iRig track. So it is a good demo of the difference, but like I said, I doubt anyone who didn't do multi tracking and owned both mics and the iRig would tell them apart. Great, eh? I wonder how much better the USB direct would make it? It may sound too clean.

I have been meaning to transpose my football team song from a dreadful dirge in Bb written in sheet music by a piano player, I guess - to a chirpy fingerstyle friendly in C but the brain hurts - spoiled by the auto transposer on the right hand side of the Chordie.com page. Nothing for it but grab a pen and paper, no TAB version available - song written in 1856 or something!

BluesKing777.

Aha!

There is a lot there to hear! Sounds very good, Doug.

But I listened to the track with my Sennheiser trusty old headphones and not many others would say this perhaps or even notice, but I can hear the higher quality of the Rodes against the slightly 'grainy' iRig track. So it is a good demo of the difference, but like I said, I doubt anyone who didn't do multi tracking and owned both mics and the iRig would tell them apart. Great, eh? I wonder how much better the USB direct would make it? It may sound too clean.

I have been meaning to transpose my football team song from a dreadful dirge in Bb written in sheet music by a piano player, I guess - to a chirpy fingerstyle friendly in C but the brain hurts - spoiled by the auto transposer on the right hand side of the Chordie.com page. Nothing for it but grab a pen and paper, no TAB version available - song written in 1856 or something!

BluesKing777.

Yes, you have a good ear there BK. Although I processed the Rode track and the iRig track slightly differently, there is a telling difference between them. I rather like the blend of the Rode and the iRig in my test sample and I might end up doing that for future recordings. I did buy the iRig so I didn't have to tie myself to a mic but the blend actually gives some nice dimension to the acoustic.

Here is the website I use for transposing. Just paste in a tab or chord chart and it will transpose. Even if there is a series of chords, just type them into the box. Easy peezy.

Logue Music Services

Yes, well done on the mic test. As Tman noted, a noticeable difference between the iRig and the Røde. If used for recording purposes only, seems as if the Røde would give great sound and allow less processing, which is a good thing.

How were you able to get the annotations on your YouTube; I thought they disabled that feature at the end of May? iMovie first?

Yes, well done on the mic test. As Tman noted, a noticeable difference between the iRig and the Røde. If used for recording purposes only, seems as if the Røde would give great sound and allow less processing, which is a good thing.

How were you able to get the annotations on your YouTube; I thought they disabled that feature at the end of May? iMovie first?

Thanks, 62burst. Those aren't YouTube annotations. They are embedded in the video using my video editor Camtasia.

Wow!

That's fantastic, Doug! You must have been working on it ever since your last version?

So it is a new version using the iRig on all guitar segments? Nicely in synch! (Hard work that, I use to fiddle with a tape based video camera running to the iMac and ended up cheating to get the insets 'looking right' by miming the extra pieces. I went to a digital camera and upgraded to a full Mac editing program and stiill had to mime extra parts! I have given up as my broadband is in tatters recently and I can't be bothered).

Also, on another note, so to speak, thanks again for the transposing software link - used it and the tune is all but done and dusted; a raggy fingerpicked bersion of my football team' awful slow dirge! After a bit of finessing, I may sell it to them. They need a lift. I won't say my team on the forum as I will get howled down by the opposition! [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

Wow!

That's fantastic, Doug! You must have been working on it ever since your last version?

So it is a new version using the iRig on all guitar segments? Nicely in synch! (Hard work that, I use to fiddle with a tape based video camera running to the iMac and ended up cheating to get the insets 'looking right' by miming the extra pieces. I went to a digital camera and upgraded to a full Mac editing program and stiill had to mime extra parts! I have given up as my broadband is in tatters recently and I can't be bothered).

Also, on another note, so to speak, thanks again for the transposing software link - used it and the tune is all but done and dusted; a raggy fingerpicked bersion of my football team' awful slow dirge! After a bit of finessing, I may sell it to them. They need a lift. I won't say my team on the forum as I will get howled down by the opposition! [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

Thanks, BK. No that is the same version. I just shot a video to go with the sound track. I would NEVER be able to record video AND audio at the same time. I'm no one-take wonder. Getting it all in sync is greatly aided by a CLICK TRACK. Sooo useful for video editing.

The audio track is still the iRig on the second guitar part (Capo 7) and the main guitar part is recorded using the Rode. I just didn't want to setup the Rode to fake it that much! The video is more or less to showcase the Martin. :)

I like to take time to multitrack and mix carefully for the audio. But if I just shot video of me playing and singing, it would be horrible. LOL

I'm glad you found that link useful. I've used it for years. I'm surprised it is still there.

I have mucked about with various combinations of the iRig and pickups, mics yesterday - but from cooking and playing I have a little cut on my fingerpicking thumb, a cut on my left ring finger and a cooking burn on right ring finger and a little cut on the top of my left middle finger, so I may have to have the day off today, I think. Or play slide maybe! Or annoy the forum... <_<

So I was playing guitars direct to the mixer and headphones with the iRig and was getting nice guitar sounds and when I broke into singing...oh..oh..nothing, so I turned on the Neumann KM184 as well but that can hear your hair moving, let alone drown out the iRig, so I got an even mix of the 2, had to lean forward a bit when singing but the guitars came up a treat! You wouldn't buy the iRig to do this, but you know, use it or lose it.

I later experimented with the Aux channel with guitars with various pickups, supposed to do this if you want to play out in loud circumstances and while it worked well, I wouldn't have to do this - I would just plug direct to my mixer - and I don't really like the sounds.

BluesKing777.

Hey Doug and BK I've enjoyed these two threads.

I'm really impressed by the knowledge you guys have on acoustic amplification and public performance.As well as your musical chops.The I Rig is a great concept from what i'm seeing / hearing.

Thanks FB, Doug must be busy makin' videos of his iRig! [tongue]

I am really enjoying using mine and must get back to playing WITHOUT it, overdoing it like a little bit. But it is so easy, no genius required FB - open the box, put the batteries in and plug the mic in and position it on your guitar soundhole, add water, stir etc. Oops, that is something else.

I have a few guitars that are never ever ever, did I say never?, ever, ever going to get surgery for pickups and using something like the iRig on those guitars was the big attraction. It has been a bit frustrating having some elektronika like the Aura and Vocal Acoustika things and not play, well, some of the best guitars I have ever played! Not now, they have all been through the ringer and no damage done.

I am sure there can and will be updates and improvements but the concept is what grabbed me - mic any guitar, no surgery, yahoo, at effin' last! [blink]

BluesKing777.

Archived