Gibson Brands Forums

Photobucket Changes

badbluesplayer

Thanks for trying anyway, Farns.

I've just downloaded (and deleted from the site) all 800+ of my images which were stored of Photophuckit.

Apparently many tens of thousands of uniquely-compiled highly detailed recorded entries on the likes of Wiki have been effectively destroyed with this single, unannounced stroke of corporate greed.

Hope the b'stards rot in Hell.

Pip.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

I've just downloaded (and deleted from the site) all 800+ of my images which were stored of Photophuckit.

Apparently many tens of thousands of uniquely-compiled highly detailed recorded entries on the likes of Wiki have been effectively destroyed with this single, unannounced stroke of corporate greed.

Pip.

If you started deleting them before my reply that might be the reason. The error seems to suggest the file isn't found rather than anything else.

If you started deleting them before my reply that might be the reason. The error seems to suggest the file isn't found rather than anything else.

...in which case I apologise if I've been responsible for wasting some of your time, Farns, and the first round (or two) will be on me when next we meet.

I was trying to find out the latest info on this debacle and came across this rarely mentioned tid-bit;

"...Photobucket, which is owned by Fox Interactive Media..."

Why am I no longer remotely surprised at the latest developments nor at the way in which the matter unfolded?

Rule 18, of course, prevents me from saying what I really think. Probably just as well.

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

Well obviously you don't need to apologise. You know I love that stuff. Beer on you sounds good though!

Guest Farnsbarns

Had a friend round last night for some help with a PHP issue. It was a third party plugin for a CMS he uses. He should have been able to find his answer on the support pages but guess what. All the images were the photobucket placeholders. Bloody nightmare.

Pip.

When everyone deletes all their accounts, or at least many of us, and they start losing sponsors and ads, it will be too late at that point. I don't necessarily want everything to be free but when they announce that you get X amount for free and they actually HELP you post your images elsewhere with their tags and sharing features, what were they expecting to happen? I wouldn't mind playing a little bit for my slice of the pie. But, $400.00 seems a bit steep for my 10 or so pictures that are solely used here on this forum. There are costs to storage but most picture files are fairly small. There's cost for bandwidth too, of course, but they should have thought about that when doing their scaling and planning for their site. So now they're fairly popular and someone at the C Level says, "I'm not making enough money. $400,000.00 a year is just too little. Let's charge everyone who's using pictures to display at a third party site X dollars." The others agree because they want a raise too. In a few years, once they're been fired or resigned and the company isn't around, they won't even care. I say let 'em rot too.

When everyone deletes all their accounts, or at least many of us, and they start losing sponsors and ads, it will be too late at that point. I don't necessarily want everything to be free but when they announce that you get X amount for free and they actually HELP you post your images elsewhere with their tags and sharing features, what were they expecting to happen? I wouldn't mind playing a little bit for my slice of the pie. But, $400.00 seems a bit steep for my 10 or so pictures that are solely used here on this forum. There are costs to storage but most picture files are fairly small. There's cost for bandwidth too, of course, but they should have thought about that when doing their scaling and planning for their site. So now they're fairly popular and someone at the C Level says, "I'm not making enough money. $400,000.00 a year is just too little. Let's charge everyone who's using pictures to display at a third party site X dollars." The others agree because they want a raise too. In a few years, once they're been fired or resigned and the company isn't around, they won't even care. I say let 'em rot too.

I agree but not everyone is in that position.. Check this story out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668

I agree but not everyone is in that position.. Check this story out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668

Agreed. The outrageous fee and lack of real notice is the big problem. Had they given appropriate notice, a lot of folks would have complained and started moving stuff. Now all we get is "ransom notices." I think they're ridiculous and it was a poor decision. Ignorance, lack of planning, lack of sponsors and greed again rules the day.

Agreed. The outrageous fee and lack of real notice is the big problem. Had they given appropriate notice, a lot of folks would have complained and started moving stuff. Now all we get is "ransom notices." I think they're ridiculous and it was a poor decision. Ignorance, lack of planning, lack of sponsors and greed again rules the day.

A pure money grab.. Corporate greed....

I also agree that ok it was a free service... and if maybe they had asked for a reasonable amount... I donno like £19.99 a year I think almost everyone would pay that, its a useful service.. But demanding $400 takes the piss and is pure extortion to the people who use it for business.

Let's say someone earns $40,000 per year. $400 is one hundredth of all the money they earn (before tax!) in a whole year! ...to host some photos on a crappy, add-drenched, not working much of the time, 'service' and show them to others. Last time I looked the average wage in the USA was south of $40,000 per year. They must be kidding.

I think the answer is obvious what they should have done...

What they should have done is to leave all the historical posts up and just removed the links from the options on the site.. that wouldn't have pissed people off as much... Now theres thousands of threads on forums and ads on Ebay and Amazon that are now useless...

What about the almost 40 pages of my first build thread... all gone... (and every other build thread)

I mean I still have all the pics on my hard drive.. Id never fully trust any cloud service... But all the work than went in to all those threads...

It is annoying.

I think the vast majority of the pics I have there are ones I have taken myself and are therefore on my own computers and drives. I already asked them to remove my "plus" ad free payments since that isn't going to help me in the long run based on their proposed new fee schedule.

I don't think I will bother downloading or moving anything since, as I mentioned, I likely have them all somewhere. I will just start using Imgur from now on.

It's kind of a bummer, but its fair to point out that we have been pretty much using their server space for free for years (with some ad exposure admittedly).

It's kind of a bummer, but its fair to point out that we have been pretty much using their server space for free for years (with some ad exposure admittedly).

I agree.. it was a service for free and I put up with the loading problems and adds cos of that.

Its not so much what they did but how they did it.. and the price they expect someone to pay... They literally pulled the rug..

I've had more problems with them then success so they can stick it. No way I'm paying for crappy service. All my photos on there are on my camera and computer. My son tells me I could just leave them there. I suppose I should delete them in case they ever try to charge you for storage?

...It might be wise to look and see how to download the hundreds of pics I have there...
...I don't think I will bother downloading or moving anything...
...I could just leave them there. I suppose I should delete them in case they ever try to charge you for storage?...

I removed mine on a point of principle and, IMO, a Very Important point of principle at that.

Photobucket's 'welcome' home-page reads;

"Welcome to Photobucket! Search our library of over 15 billion images!"

If they think they were at liberty to use - and potentially sell-on to a third party - any and all of the 800+ images I had uploaded on to my account but at the same time forbid me, myself, using them for third party sites without paying their extortionate ransom demand then they really are taking the piss.

It's not for me to tell any of you what to do, of course, but for me the decision to remove all images from their site was both straightforward and necessary. I hope every single Photobucket account holder removes every single image they have ever uploaded onto their site. In a small way the nearer that figure of 15 billion gets to zero the happier I will become.

Not that I'm one to hold a grudge...

Pip.

For me this is very timely, I am going into the witness protection program and I am removing all traces of my life.... [laugh]

ha! see how things have a way of working out??

I deleted my account. it was fun while it lasted..

I got my extortion notice today and all my photos are blocked from forums now. I'll be downloading what I don't have saved elsewhere and closing my account. All of the free users who had to look at their ads will leave. The paid users don't see ads. All their advertisers will pull out because there will be nobody left to see their ads. Few people will pay the exorbitant fees they're now demanding, and they will fail. Bye, Extortionbucket.

Archived