Gibson Brands Forums

Played my first compositon out last night.

TommyK

Five Vacant Chairs.

It is dedicated to the five NIU college students we lost last Feb 14.

I worked it up with a core group of Bluegrass jammers over the last couple months' worth of Jams. Got a couple fiddlers and a banjoist who only played through it once in the basement before going on stage for the first time. Unexpectedly, on of my compatriots sang some improvised harmony. Boy did it sound good. I love it when a plan comes together. After that one song I had to go back stage and sit down, my legs were all wobbly.

I'm not sure why my legs where wobbly. Emotion, I guess.

No, no one recorded it. I plan to play it again at a different Bluegrass jam next month. After that I'm puting it away until next year. I'm going to try to get a recording to post on youtube or something... just as soon as I figure out how to open the door on the 'puter so I can thread the 8mm film into to upload it.

There was a day of rememberance on campus this past week-end. Earlier in the day on Saturday there was an opportunity to record your thoughts to be put into a time capsule to be opened in 20 years. I had them record me singing solo. The only ones in the room were the two A/V techs and my wife. I also put a copy of the sheet music in the capsule.

Archived