Gibson Brands Forums

It's almost time...what are your hopes for 2018 models?

norcalpiper

Thanks Rabs. It looks like the main change for the SG Standard is the p'ups. I'm not sure about the LP.

The links that Rabs put up seem to have been changed or pulled slightly; they're now blank.

However this morning I've found this:

https://www.anderton...ssic-in-goldtop

xl_153369-tmp9E74.jpgxl_153368-tmp4607.jpg

Blurb from the site in case it does a disappearing act...

Every bit a classic instrument, this particular Les Paul embodies everything that gave them their reputation back in the day. A truly timeless design that you'll be powerless to resist!

Body & Neck

The body is made of a combination of mahogony and maple, in a configuration known as the non-weight relief body. This means that you get the added sparkling quality of the maple without compromising the famed sustain and resonance of the traditional mahogany Les Pauls.

The neck features a slim-taper profile with a luxurious rosewood fretboard. The use of mahogany in both the neck and the body ensures that no note goes unheard, yet you'll be amazed at how easy this neck is to handle compared to some of Gibson's wider profiles.

Pickups & Electronics

Armed with two P90s, your tone will be simultaneously vintage and versatile. With a slightly more balanced response, these pickups retain the full-bodied sound associated with Les Paul's but provide an added element of clarity that crisps up nicely.

Hardware

Kidney grover tuners and aluminium hardware are utilised to provide you with tuning stability and even more resonance, and classy cream binding completes the classic look. This truly is the original Les Paul experience.

Here's what Gibson say about the 2018 Les Paul Classic

The Les Paul Classic guitar conveys major elements of the iconic Les Paul look with the legendary tonewood combination of a mahogany-and-maple non-weight relief body, bound body top and fingerboard with trapezoid fingerboard inlays. Fast and comfortable playability is increased with a Slim Taper neck. Additional appointments include a pair of P-90 pickups, ABR bridge, nickel-plated hardware, and hand-wired electronics including Orange Drop capacitors.

Specifications

• Series Gibson Model Year 2018

Body

• Body Styl:e Les Paul Classic
  • Body: Mahogany
  • Top: Plain Maple
  • Weight relief: None
  • Binding: Cream

Neck

• Neck: Mahogany
  • Neck profile: Slim Taper
  • Nut width: 1.695"
  • Fingerboard: Rosewood
  • Scale length: 24.75"
  • Number of frets: 22 - Medium - Cryogenically Treated
  • Nut: Tektoid
  • Inlay: Acrylic Trapezoid
  • Binding: Cream
  • Binding Style: Rolled over Frets

Hardware

• Bridge: ABR
  • Tailpiece: Aluminum Stop Bar
  • Knobs: Gold Speed Knobs
  • Tuners: Kidney Grovers
  • Plating: Nickel
  • Case: Hardshell

Electronics

• Neck pickup: P90
  • Bridge pickup: P90
  • Controls: 2 volumes, 2 tones, 1 toggle switch, hand-wired with orange drop capacitors

post-69179-001540200 1504095254_thumb.jpgpost-69179-026959700 1504095233_thumb.jpg2018 Gibson LesPaul Standard HP pics. No pickup rings. 4 Big screws in the back of the guitar for the pickup adjustment. The cut more contours into the body as well. post-69179-026959700 1504095233_thumb.jpg

Really? Through the body pickup adjustment? Sure, let's make these COMPLETELY incompatible and different from everything else we produce. I don't like that idea at all. I can't see how this is a good idea. I sort of liked the 2017 HP's with the metal pickup rings.

post-69179-001540200 1504095254_thumb.jpgpost-69179-026959700 1504095233_thumb.jpg2018 Gibson LesPaul Standard HP pics. No pickup rings. 4 Big screws in the back of the guitar for the pickup adjustment. The cut more contours into the body as well. post-69179-026959700 1504095233_thumb.jpg

Hmmm.. There seems to be something going on with the bridge volume knob.

The fact its black and the other are silver says to me they have some more electronic gadgetry.... ?

Hmmm.. There seems to be something going on with the bridge volume knob.

The fact its black and the other are silver says to me they have some more electronic gadgetry.... ?

There is nothing going on with the knob. It's just how the pic. turned out. I've seen other pics. of standard HPs this color and a few others and all the knobs are chrome. It's just a shadow in this pic.

There is nothing going on with the knob. It's just how the pic. turned out. I've seen other pics. of standard HPs this color and a few others and all the knobs are chrome. It's just a shadow in this pic.

Ahh ok... I wasn't sure but that makes sense. Cheers [thumbup]

Looks like the SG HP will have a flamed top. I'm not sure I like the pickups being adjusted from the back, but then again I'm a traditional kind of guy. I wouldn't go for a HP model regardless. Fingers crossed some of these get lefty models!

Also Gibson has posted a 2018 Firebird Standard on their Instagram as well. Actually now that I think about it, a lefty 2018 SG Special would be a nice complement to my 2017 Standard. I've always wanted to have a standard, but with a special as a backup.

Archived