Gibson Brands Forums

What kind of polish to use on an LP Special?

sugapablo

I have a 1996 Gibson LP Special (like the one in the photo) that could use a good polish. Gibson makes a few different kinds, as do many other companies. What would be a good polish for the finish on an LP Special (one without the carved maple top)?

Is this a good one?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Mini-Accessory-Pack-1?sku=360910

gibson_LP_special.jpg

i use virtuoso CLEANER but i haven't tried the polisher (they were out of stock at the time at my store). alot of people on here swear by the virtuoso polish though. i've also tried those planet waves express packs and they came out pretty great. $3 for the express pack and has enough for more than one guitar.

I have a feeling there was a little bit of perspective used in that link.

I've used Virtuoso on brand new Gibsons as well as slightly grimy used ones, and those pics aren't far off. He probably went crazy with a few coats of the cleaner and polish. If you go over it once or twice with the cleaner, then a coat of polish to protect it, it'll look like new. If you spend a whole weekend doing coat after coat, then it'll look like those photos.

Nice... But what would that stuff do to my VM' date=' I think someone answered this a few weeeks ago for me.. But now another question, Would this make it shiny?[/quote']

The Virtuoso cleaner will clean it up real nice and put a shine on it. The polish will make it ridiculously shiney but also adds a protective coating that makes future cleanups easier and help prevent smudge marks.

Nice... But what would that stuff do to my VM' date=' I think someone answered this a few weeeks ago for me.. But now another question, Would this make it shiny?[/quote']

I haven't looked closely at the LP VM, but if it's anything like my faded SG you'll want to be careful. On the faded SGs, they used very little pore sealer so what happened was the Virtuoso cleaner went into the pores and dried white, similar to car wax. I wound up getting most of it out with a toothbrush, but I'm glad I only did a test spot on the back. If the VM is anything like the faded Standard, you'll be fine since they actually prep the wood similar to the regular finishes.

Moist breath will get rid of most of the normal build up. Just breathe and wipe makes a world of difference. I just use old tees that I cut up for rags, got to reuse those freebie shirts somehow. On occasions I will use some lemon oil to wipe the guitar down with, which is the same thing as you wipe down furniture with. There is also a furniture build up remover I will use on the heavy stuff if moist breath is not enough. You can pick it up at your local Ace Hardware for like $5 max (I think the brand I use is fromber's or something like that). My last resort and uber powerful tool is naptha which is a paint thinner so if you have a nitro cellulose guitar use sparingly! This is the same stuff Fender uses to relic the guitar finishes but it can do some mean work on nasty build up. I never bother with the tuners or tailpiece they aren't worth your time as the next time you use it the fingerprints are back.

I like my Guitars a little dirty' date=' my Gibson does that easy because the pickups and hardware show a little dust, smudges. But I hate when my Lyon gets hand smudges, and my Gibson can't. #-o, I am going to try virtuoso cleaner though. My Lyon needs it.[/quote']

From personal experience (and others have reported the same results) after using the Virtuoso polish, your finish will actually resist fingerprints and smudges.

Thats awesome, For my senior project I plan to refinish my Behringer or Lyon, Im afraid to do the Lyon because it has sentimental value to me, and still sounds Really freaking great. The Behringer could use some Bigtime mods. As in HSS style remod, and a nice natural style like my VM, but shiny.

To the right and left of my lyons pickups are ALOT of pick scratches, not one single one penetrated anything but the tip of the finish, and right now i have a massive thumbprint on the right demon horn. But held up to light the whole upper body is filled with tiny scratches, Which I really love.

That sounds personality resistant to me. What's the fun w/out fingerprints' date=' smudges, and the occasional nick? [/quote']

My LP's have lots of personality. But I about freaked out when my Songbird acoustic got a chip on it. I think it's because I don't play it out live. I'ts like the LP's are my sons and I expect them to get hurt but the Songbird is my little girl and I can't help but protect her. Ya Know?????

Archived