Gibson Brands Forums

What do you use to add percussion?

theflyingturtle

Please forgive my response - I seem unable to help myself - perhaps this foreshadows yet greater mental deterioration soon to follow😧😖😟

My size 14 cowboy boot. Preferably a leather soled Justin, usually the left member of the pair. 👢

When setting up on a large rug, a foot tap, no matter how large, is not going to be much help. When going out, my playing is fairly evenly split between guitar, bass, and percussion. Started out carrying the tambourine partially covered in a folded towel, and there’s still one carried in the percussion bag of tricks.

For portability, also tried the Roland SPD-8, with the rubber square pads, back in the day. Good for a “loud” night, but for recording, a direct-in had to be used, as the mechanical noise was bad. It has a foot pedal, with which any variety of percussion instruments could be triggered- I used it mostly for the bass, or ride cymbal.

Then came the Gibraltar remote Cajon Pedal; a good idea, but as the comments on this YouTube video point out, it’s very unreliable- most people’s cables broke, mine stretched to the point of moving the beater, but not hitting the cajon. Right in the middle of a song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT7x8y1gyQw.

How many guitars can you play at one time? Instead of getting another AJ, this (no, not me) is a beautifully made foot drum:

Size 14??? How long does it take for you to get home after your boot crosses the threshold?

Good one! OC comes home for Breakfast and sits down to Supper!

But, I do like toe-tapping. Something 'metronome-like' is too distracting - to invasive. I find toe-tapping internalizes the rhythm and helps me stay on tempo. And a nice leather sole slapping on a wood floor fits most of the kinds of music I do.

Good one! OC comes home for Breakfast and sits down to Supper!

But, I do like toe-tapping. Something 'metronome-like' is too distracting - to invasive. I find toe-tapping internalizes the rhythm and helps me stay on tempo. And a nice leather sole slapping on a wood floor fits most of the kinds of music I do.

I keep sayin' it's that Sasquatch DNA.... 😨

You can get a stomp box, they are designed for the foot but can be tapped by hand and of course they do plug in so you don't need a mic. You can also put a mic in a small cardboard box, that makes a soft sound suitable for an acoustic guitar.

Was listening to an old playlist earlier this weekend that had an early Taylor Swift song ( I know) and it had a banjo ringing in the background. They do provide a nice 'beat' when picked with moderation. A few notes here and there, sort of a backbeat, filling in the gaps - not DixieLand strumming like a steam engine, or Earl's Breakdown.

I've always tended to use one of those large, noisy, expensive and unreliable doodads...can't remember the name but I'm sure it'll come to me.

...oh yeh! A drummer! ☺️

Archived