Gibson Brands Forums

Memphis Studio or Midtowm

chas1133

I have a Midtown Standard that I picked up a few years ago from AMS on closeout for under a grand. I wavered on getting it at first but I am glad I finally purchased it. My other gibsons include explorers, firebirds, les Pauls and SG's and I find myself constantly picking up the midtown when I start noodling around, even unplugged. Neck feels great, Pickups are great, stays in tune well, and even though it's chambered it's still a hefty guitar which I like. With all that said whichever direction you go I'm sure you'll be happy.

I have a Midtown Standard that I picked up a few years ago from AMS on closeout for under a grand. I wavered on getting it at first but I am glad I finally purchased it. My other gibsons include explorers, firebirds, les Pauls and SG's and I find myself constantly picking up the midtown when I start noodling around, even unplugged. Neck feels great, Pickups are great, stays in tune well, and even though it's chambered it's still a hefty guitar which I like. With all that said whichever direction you go I'm sure you'll be happy.

Thanks B...this would be my 2nd Gibby as I have a really nice LP...time for a semi-hollow...

Thanks B...this would be my 2nd Gibby as I have a really nice LP...time for a semi-hollow...

I have a Midtown as well. If you are going to get an ES, I would recommend avoiding the studio models as they really don't compare well with the real deal ES models. Midtowns are scarce so you likely won't find one to try in a store but the ES models should be more plentiful in stores to try out. My thoughts are this: ES > Midtown > ES Studio

Yeah, to megafrogs point, Midtowns can be scarce on the second hand market although i see a few on ebay feom time to time but AMS is currently selling them for $1499.99. Not sure if these are old stock 2015 models that they aquired from another retailer or if Gibson made a new batch of them. Either way a new one can be found for now through those guys. Still a helluva guitar for $1500.00 bucks.

So there's that much of a difference between the ES and Studio?

The quality variation on the ES versus the ES Studio is pretty steep in my opinion. The Studio really lacks refinement and just doesn't have the ES vibe. There is no binding, the finish quality is not near as good and the pickups are downgraded from what is in the core ES models. I would encourage you to try them both.

• 4 weeks later...

Thx guys...several Midtowns I'm looking at.

I have a black Midtown Custom that I bought used for $850. It had some tuning issues when I first got it but It's sorted out now. It's a cool looking guitar but it doesn't sound all that different from a LP to my ears. Shop around because prices are all over the place for Midtowns. I love the natural Custom ones but they always seem to command the highest prices.

The quality variation on the ES versus the ES Studio is pretty steep in my opinion. The Studio really lacks refinement and just doesn't have the ES vibe. There is no binding, the finish quality is not near as good and the pickups are downgraded from what is in the core ES models. I would encourage you to try them both.

I bought an ES-339 Studio last March and love it. Beautiful guitar, high quality, great playability, tone, etc. There is a binding there but it's black and it blends in with the dark edge of the ginger burst finish.

Archived