Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Serial number

Justifine

Hi All!

My first time on here and I was hoping someone could shed some light on a "STUPID" mistake I made.

I was doing a few touchups on the headstock of my '98 Explorer and I accidentally dropped some acetone

on the last digit of the serial number!!!! I know... I'm an idiot :)

Before I knew it, the indentation of the last digit was melting and soon enough the digit vanished, because

the acetone sort of leveled the finish. Now what I want to know is and I assume that the S/N is stamped into

the bare wood before color and finishing? So in other words the digit is still there I just need to remove

some of the finish in order to make it appear again?

I haven't uploaded photo as I am at work at the moment, but will upload the actual catastrophe once

I get home :) The serial number is the same as what you find of the back of a Standard Les Paul

Thanks guys, all help will be appreciated

Thanks

The digits should still be there unless someone got rid of it. Now you have to determine what you want to do, uncover it at the cost of your finish or leave it be.

Thanks Megafrog

It's still there as you say, I was the first owner (store bought), but I was thinking of softening the finish and using a metal stamp to print it again..

Or as you say "leave it be"

Archived