Gibson Brands Forums

Stereo to Mono cable recommendations needed, please

SteveFord

Does anyone have any specific recommendations on a stereo to mono cord? I find that if I use the factory mono setting on my Lucille I lose a lot of the highs.

If I have to go two cables into a box I can do that if need be, too.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations on a stereo to mono cord? I find that if I use the factory mono setting on my Lucille I lose a lot of the highs.

If I have to go two cables into a box I can do that if need be, too.

But, if your mono (lower) input is wired/working correctly, you shouldn't "lose" Anything! I'd get that, and the rest of the wiring

checked out, before you start buying adapters, or a stereo cord...unless you just "want" to do all that? [tongue][biggrin]

As I mentioned, in your "wiring problems" thread, the bottom input should work, with both pickups and the Varitone, flawlessly,

with any standard 1/4" guitar cord.

CB

I've been going back and forth with an electrical engineer buddy of mine all morning and he's pretty sure that mine got wired up as is shown in the original Stereo/Varitone schematic, not the later one where one jack is mono like my first Lucille (and yours) is.

He's making up a cable so when I arrives I'll post a report on success or failure.

I've been going back and forth with an electrical engineer buddy of mine all morning and he's pretty sure that mine got wired up as is shown in the original Stereo/Varitone schematic, not the later one where one jack is mono like my first Lucille (and yours) is.

He's making up a cable so when I arrives I'll post a report on success or failure.

Great, hope it works out. But, couldn't he just re-wire it, to current spec's? Or, maybe you don't want it "messed with?" [biggrin]

CB

Does your Lucille have one stereo output?

If so, he is probably connecting the two hot leads together on the TRS 1/4" plug. I am not sure if your pickups were 180 out of phase as the original stereo ES. You can tell if the pickups are out of phase; when you select the middle position and the volume goes down a little. Adjusting the volume knob down a tad will increase the overall volume. Reversing the magnet on one pickup will also solve the drop in volume.

After 50 years, I finally decided to reverse the magnets for no volume drop...I don't use two amps anymore nor do I use a two separate channel amp.

As CB mentioned, if you have two outputs on your Lucille, you shouldn't have any loss of higher frequencies using the mono output.

Two jacks... then this is the same as the Lucille I have...

If you use the jack closest to the strap button, it is like the usual mono guitar. The toggle switch selects the bridge, both bridge/neck, or neck pickups.

If you use both jacks with two amps, neck pickup goes to one amp and the bridge pickup goes to the other amp.

msp_biggrin.gif

The neck pickup does sound muffled to me, too. I have lowered the neck pickup quite low and raised the individual screws. This helped bring out more treble; but it's still muffled sounding and I resorted to increasing the treble on my amps or using the 2 or 3 settings on the varitone.

Archived