Gibson Brands Forums

Nick Lucas reissues...anyone put any miles on one?

Jinder

I'm a huge Maple fan and have a great SJ200 and Dove, and have been pondering other Maple delights.

In my GAS dreams, I'd love to add a Maple AJ and a Nick Lucas to my stable. I'm unlikely to buy either as I'm saving for a Hummingbird 12er, but I'm intrigued by the Nick Lucases.

Has anyone owned or played one in earnest? I owned a Recording King RNJ-25 for a few years (their NL-alike) and really enjoyed it, but ultimately felt it was a bit overbuilt and stifled a little by the overapplication of Nitro. The neck profile (a VERY shallow oval) was weird too, and exacerbated the CTS that I normally manage to keep at bay.

I wonder if the real thing would be a bit more to my taste?

I'd be looking to play bluesy/folky/country fingerstyle on it and I've recently become obsessed with learning Roy Bookbinder style rags which would sound lovely on a nice open sounding parlour. My EL-00 is a ton of fun but the neck is a little skinny to really let my big old fingers dance around some rags.

Jinder.......surprised by the lack of NL players! Like you I had(still do) the Rnj-25. Wanted another NL, couldn't find one I felt comfy with. Ended up going over to the *DarK* side ...CEO-7! Still on the quest to find that perfect L-00msp_cool.gif

Where are you looking at the Nick L reissue?

I looked at the Gibson website and there is zip, not always up to date though.

I can't help you on the Lucas, but I have a custom Cargill guitar which is based on the NL body size with the addition of a custom large Mod V neck but in African ebony and Italian Spruce top. You could always commission something like it, the neck customised to you. Mine is pretty joyous! There must be plenty of luthiers near you.

GAS warning:

oKZOpGr.jpg

P0AtUhk.jpg

sor7DXl.jpg

qOGVcHN.jpg

BluesKing777.

Jinder,

Shameless self plug here. I can't give you anything about the Nick Lucas that you asked about. If you are looking for a maple AJ I have something similar for sale.

It's a maple, European spruce, long scale, slope shoulder, somewhat based on an AJ that I built. I have it listed at the UMGF with pictures.

I would post it here for sale but always have trouble with pictures here and at Photobucket.

There is a real Nick Lucas at Lowe Vintage Guitars if you can stump up for US$42,995.00.......

Tiptoe Through The Tulips with that!

BluesKing777.

I think I'd end up face down in the Tulips passed out with shock at having spent $43,000 on a guitar 😂

Thanks all!

FP, I couldn't find your post on the UMGF, do you have a link?

It's on the 2nd page in the Buy and Sell section.

My handle at the UMGF is PICKITLUTHER

Comment

onlinePICKITLUTHER .

I finished building this guitar a couple months ago. It's maple back and sides with a European spruce top. Indian rosewood fingerboard and and bridge. One piece maple neck.

Two way adjustable truss rod. I use Old Brown hide glue throughout. Back braces are tall, thin bracing like what you would see on an old Gibson J45. Top braces are forward shifted and scalloped with two tone bars.Lacquer finish. Grover open back 18-1 tuners. 1 3/4 inch nut, 2 1/4 string spacing at bridge. Long scale. Bone nut and saddle. Bridge and plate are slotted. The neck is a big handful with a rounded V shape.

My guitars don't have a perfect finish like one would see on most high end production guitars. There are swirls and fine scratch's in the finish that can be seen on close inspection. My guitars tend to look like they have been played and handled for a couple of years. This also has some ripples or dimples in the sides mostly on the treble side. Can't get them to show up in photos.

This guitar has a big voice and plays very easy up and down the neck. I've had a few different people play it and they all gave me positive feedback. None of them noticed the flaws in my work but then again these guys are players more so then collectors.

I'll be happy to answer any questions. I have more pictures that I can e-mail. All forum rules apply.

My e-mail is, cuca.pupo@verizon.net

$1400 shipped or offer.

Thanks for looking,

Frank.

74aed178234c474e9bd19c8c764d2084_r.jpg

950880885d6e42cdb14bc0a063066cc7_r.jpg

f17074354f404334b9b9884daecc64a0_r.jpg

1e3cb7bb38c44a7bbde05c2dd77e82a9_r.jpg

537565c6e1fc447cb4d9ef4ad37dc86d_r.jpg

Comment

onlinePICKITLUTHER .

I finished building this guitar a couple months ago. It's maple back and sides with a European spruce top. Indian rosewood fingerboard and and bridge. One piece maple neck.

Two way adjustable truss rod. I use Old Brown hide glue throughout. Back braces are tall, thin bracing like what you would see on an old Gibson J45. Top braces are forward shifted and scalloped with two tone bars.Lacquer finish. Grover open back 18-1 tuners. 1 3/4 inch nut, 2 1/4 string spacing at bridge. Long scale. Bone nut and saddle. Bridge and plate are slotted. The neck is a big handful with a rounded V shape.

My guitars don't have a perfect finish like one would see on most high end production guitars. There are swirls and fine scratch's in the finish that can be seen on close inspection. My guitars tend to look like they have been played and handled for a couple of years. This also has some ripples or dimples in the sides mostly on the treble side. Can't get them to show up in photos.

This guitar has a big voice and plays very easy up and down the neck. I've had a few different people play it and they all gave me positive feedback. None of them noticed the flaws in my work but then again these guys are players more so then collectors.

I'll be happy to answer any questions. I have more pictures that I can e-mail. All forum rules apply.

My e-mail is, cuca.pupo@verizon.net

$1400 shipped or offer.

Thanks for looking,

Frank.

74aed178234c474e9bd19c8c764d2084_r.jpg

950880885d6e42cdb14bc0a063066cc7_r.jpg

f17074354f404334b9b9884daecc64a0_r.jpg

1e3cb7bb38c44a7bbde05c2dd77e82a9_r.jpg

537565c6e1fc447cb4d9ef4ad37dc86d_r.jpg

Found your UMGF post, Frank...dropped you a mail to chat more about it ☺️

Waaaay out of my pocket I'm sure but lovely idea in principle!

Those priced guitars sit in the list forever or until.................someone wins Lotto... [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

Here is Dominic Nicholas Anthony Lucanese himself:

BluesKing777.

Archived