Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LP versus Epiphone (and some other thoughts)

indur

I have to say that I've read so many things online where some people will say "Gibson is absolutely worth the extra money" and other people with just as much conviction that "an Epiphone will sound just as good or better than a Gibson". I don't really have the budget for a full-on Gibson Custom, so I started down the Epiphone path.

I had pretty much set myself for the last month or so thinking now I just needed to find the right Epiphone LP and proceeded to play probably 20 or 30 different ones I could find at various shops around town. This afternoon I was finally ready to pull the trigger on one that I had found that I liked the best (it was a Epi LP Custom, black with gold hardware).

I asked the guy at the counter if this might be part of the "ultra-secret" President's Day weekend sale, and he said "no, the Epiphone Customs never really go onsale because nobody ever buys them". Now I was a little confused. The Epi was being sold at $799. The guy proceeded to tell me that they had the "finished" Gibson LP Studios in there for $1199, and that at that price, it didn't make sense not to just bump a little more. I had always knew that the Studios were more affordable than other varieties, but I had never actually seen a finished one--they were always just that dried-out wood look, which I personally don't find aesthetically pleasing at all.

You probably know the rest of the story. After playing only 2 different Gibson Studios, I was sold on a solid black one and although it was a stretch budget wise, there was such a clear difference in the sound and the feel between even the low-end Gibson versus the higher end Epi.

So anyway, I'm about the happiest guy in town right now. We had practice this afternoon and although the guitar isn't setup yet, it still sounds KILLER. I wish I could somehow carry it around with me, maybe take it to work tomorrow. I can't stop looking at it. ](*,)/

About the Vintage Mahogany (dried out), The ones at most Guitar Centers look TERRIBLE. Little kids wearing them down, or the store taking the blemished or miscolored ones to display. Mine is pretty rich in color, not terribly red (most of my pics come out red), but more of a natural red brown. Other than that, Great purchase, I have tried many Epi's and have to say they are nowhere as nice as a Gibson.

I had pretty much set myself for the last month or so thinking now I just needed to find the right Epiphone LP and proceeded to play probably 20 or 30 different ones I could find at various shops around town.

[...]

You probably know the rest of the story. After playing only 2 different Gibson Studios' date=' I was sold on a solid black one and although it was a stretch budget wise, there was such a clear difference in the sound and the feel between even the low-end Gibson versus the higher end Epi. [/quote']

Playing as many guitars as you could get your hands on was absolutely the best approach regardless of whether you ended up with an Epi or the Studio that you ended up buying.

A lot of players don't have the same luxury that you and I do of having one or more shops nearby to check out a lot of different examples of the same guitar and must rely on mail order. That said, I'm sure you bought yourself an excellent guitar. Congrats!

I have an '02 Epi LP Standard Plus, that sounds, looks, and feels better than any Gibson LP that I've played over the last couple of years, actually the only Gibson LPs that I've ever played (and I've played a few in my 26 yrs on this planet) that were worth a damn, were, my uncle's '74 Delux, and my great uncle's '61 SG LP, now, I don't have anything against Gibson guitars, but for some reason they don't have the same draw that they used to, maybe it's the fact that due to cutting labor, and having 90% of the production done by machines now (especially LPs). In the future, maybe they'll do a "reissue" the reissues, of the LPs from the late '80s. Until then I'll stick with my EPI:d/

I have an '02 Epi LP Standard Plus' date=' that sounds, looks, and feels better than any Gibson LP that I've played over the last couple of years, actually the only Gibson LPs that I've ever played (and I've played a few in my 26 yrs on this planet) that were worth a damn, were, my uncle's '74 Delux, and my great uncle's '61 SG LP, now, I don't have anything against Gibson guitars, but for some reason they don't have the same draw that they used to, maybe it's the fact that due to cutting labor, and having 90% of the production done by machines now (especially LPs). In the future, maybe they'll do a "reissue" the reissues, of the LPs from the late '80s. Until then I'll stick with my EPI:d/ [/quote']

=P~

http://forums.epiphone.com/

Indur, nice choice by the way!

I have an '02 Epi LP Standard Plus' date=' that sounds, looks, and feels better than any Gibson LP that I've played over the last couple of years, actually the only Gibson LPs that I've ever played (and I've played a few in my 26 yrs on this planet) that were worth a damn, were, my uncle's '74 Delux, and my great uncle's '61 SG LP, now, I don't have anything against Gibson guitars, but for some reason they don't have the same draw that they used to, maybe it's the fact that due to cutting labor, and having 90% of the production done by machines now (especially LPs). In the future, maybe they'll do a "reissue" the reissues, of the LPs from the late '80s. Until then I'll stick with my EPI:d/ [/quote']

:^o :^o =P~

LOL... you guys are so bad...

Choosing a guitar is about finding the rght one for YOU. If it is a $2500 LP standard, so be it. If it is a $500 epi... so be it. You cant really compare the two (IMO) as while they share the same shape they all have different personalities. How many people play 20 LP's before they actually buy the one that just speaks to them?

I have a LP Standard that I really love, but I also have an Agile DLX 2800 that I love just as much. They are both EXCELLENT playing guitars and have thier own unique qualities. Both play and sound great.

People should stop comparing the two. Play them both and pick what works for you and of course... your budget. End of story.

I don't understand all the hate on Epiphone in this thread...

I'm too poor to afford a Gibson ES-335 so I play an Epiphone ES-335 and plan to get a Epiphone Les Paul because once again I'm not wealthy or lucky enough to afford a Gibson. Does that mean I can't chat about guitars on this forum because I don't have a Gibson?

I don't understand all the hate on Epiphone in this thread...

I'm too poor to afford a Gibson ES-335 so I play an Epiphone ES-335 and plan to get a Epiphone Les Paul because once again I'm not wealthy or lucky enough to afford a Gibson. Does that mean I can't chat about guitars on this forum because I don't have a Gibson?

Yes, DM, that's exactly what it means...bye [-(

Of course I'm kidding - I was just giving the guy a hard time for fun. I've sang the praises of Epiphone a couple of times on this forum. They are terrific guitars...best guitar in my opinion in that price range for sure. Doubt you'll find anyone on here really disliking / hating them.

Btw., welcome to the forum (please stay)!

Yes' date=' DM, that's exactly what it means...bye [-(

Of course I'm kidding - I was just giving the guy a hard time for fun. I've sang the praises of Epiphone a couple of times on this forum. They are terrific guitars...best guitar in my opinion in that price range for sure. Doubt you'll find anyone on here really disliking / hating them.

Btw., welcome to the forum (please stay)! [/quote']

I've been here for quite a while now just never post only read

Congratulations. I too gave the Epiphones a run for the money but in the end I stuck with Gibson. I just bought a gorgeous Gibson Les Paul Standard in heritage cherry sunburst tonight for $1900 during the Presidents day sale.

Man it's a good thing you didn't sit around playing the standards because you would not be satisfied with anything else until you get one. There are so many people who make budget their main purchasing variable. They usually buy and are rarely 100% satisfied until they get exactly what they want.

I know it's tough to fork it out, times are tough as hell right now, and Gibson doesn't help anyone out by raising prices in these tough economic times, but man the whole reason for playing guitar is pure enjoyment and inspiration. If you play a guitar that inspires you to play then that's the guitar for you.

I hope your LP Studio does that for you. They really are great guitars. One piece of advice though, I'm not a fan of the 490/498 pickups. I have experimented with most of the pickups out on the market. I can tell you that the Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary pickups are incredible. I think they'll make your LP Studio sound even better.

I was actually pretty unhappy with my LP when I first got it. It was a X-mas gift from my GF, so I could hardly complain, but when I played it I thought... wow... this is NOT what i expected from a guitar like this. Especially being it has the plek setup on it.

Yesterday I took a trip up to Richmond to visit a friend of mine that is a luthier. He gave it a few tweaks and did some filing on the nut. Plays AWESOME now.

Frst words out of my mouth were "Not THIS is how I expected a guitar like this to play!"

I had a 2001 Epiphone SG Custom 5-6 years ago and was never happy with it. I ended up trading it for some gear. Even when I shopped for an LP a few months back, I went in with an open mind. I played probalbly 12 epi LPs at guitar center before even trying any of the gibsons. I found them to be inconsistent. Many had problems with the frets being pressed properly, and some had pretty weak sounding pups. Even the customs didnt tickle my fancy. I did find one epi LP Deluxe that I liked, but after I moved to the Gibsons, I forgot all about it. Originally I prefered the worn studios to the epi, and they were on sale for only a few hundred more. Eventually I fell in love with a new standard on clearance that was priced 30% below any online auction for the same used model, so I sold a kidney and bit.

I would be open to picking up an epi, but you need to play the entire stock to find a really good one. The neck pups are pretty close, but the bridge pups need improvement. You also just dont get the back-pick from the middle position like you do with a gib. But hell, you can get a top of the line epi for like $800, when their Gibson counterparts go for like, $4000. You got to love the value factor!

yea,there is a difference.

i have an epi dot which I upgraded the pickups to gfs vintage 59's and it sounds killer.

It ,in my opinion sounds better than my Gibson LP studio,which I put classic 57 plus in bridge.

But the big thing is the playability.The epi dot sounds awsome,but something with the neck,just doesn't feel as nice as a Gibson neck and it affects my playing with it.You'd think I'd just get used to the dot ,but I some reason can't.

Another thing with my dot is is goes out of tune frequently.I imagine there must be something somewhere which could be done to fix that,just haven't figured it out yet.I think it might be the nut.It seems to help some when I put little graphite on the nut,but doesn't last too long.

Over all,Gibson is just better quality

Congratulations. I too gave the Epiphones a run for the money but in the end I stuck with Gibson. I just bought a gorgeous Gibson Les Paul Standard in heritage cherry sunburst tonight for $1900 during the Presidents day sale.

Man it's a good thing you didn't sit around playing the standards because you would not be satisfied with anything else until you get one. There are so many people who make budget their main purchasing variable. They usually buy and are rarely 100% satisfied until they get exactly what they want.

I know it's tough to fork it out' date=' times are tough as hell right now, and Gibson doesn't help anyone out by raising prices in these tough economic times, but man the whole reason for playing guitar is pure enjoyment and inspiration. If you play a guitar that inspires you to play then that's the guitar for you.

I hope your LP Studio does that for you. They really are great guitars. One piece of advice though, I'm not a fan of the 490/498 pickups. I have experimented with most of the pickups out on the market. I can tell you that the Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary pickups are incredible. I think they'll make your LP Studio sound even better.[/quote']

I agree 100% with the 490/498 pickups.I replaced the 498t and made a world of difference.

Archived