Gibson Brands Forums

Martin Retro Monels vs D'Addario Nickel Bronze on a J-45 Standard

Aggie

For the past 15 years I have used D'Addario EJ-16 light gauge Phosphor Bronze on my J-45 Standard. I've been reading a lot of positive reviews of both the Martin Retro Monels & D'Addario Nickel Bronze--especially on spruce top/mahogany back & sides guitars--like the J-45. Would really appreciate feedback from those of you who have made the switch to either of these & what your reasons may be. I love the tone of my J-45, but if the nickel strings can improve on that sound I'd be a Monel or Nickel Bronze convert. Thanks for your opinions.

I actually had a set of Tony Rice 12-54 Monels on my J-45 Std. from early November 2014 and 2 months forward.

It wasn't a mistake and definitely brought some alternative qualities forward in the guitar. But they are a bit strange - kind of electric-like on an acoustic.

However it was in that same period it became clear to me that I am a bronze/ph. bronze guy (also tried them on the HD-28V and 12-fret).

I think the 45 gets closer to its real nature with old fashioned steel, but taste isn't an exact science.

Try your way and see what happens - it's only strings and you can always rewind and put them on a beater, , ,

or surprise your friend with the opportunity to repeat the experiment.

Good Luck Aggie

The Bronze Brain

The first time I tried Martin Retro .012s on the Hummingbird Vintage I disliked them immediately and within a few hours restrung it with 80/20........a tone rescue! However, the Retro monels are the string on the J-45 Vintage: a raw and brash, dry and aggressive sound that, to my ear, befits the instrument perfectly. I am beginning to attribute this difference (Hummingbird v. J-45 with monel) to the adirondack top on the 45........monels work so well on the latter but suck on the former. Both are spruce-over-mahogany but so very different in response to strings. I've almost exclusively been banging on the 45 for the last two months because I just love the raw tone and it so suits what I do with a guitar. This morning I have uncased the Hummingbird and am still really digging the mellower, sweeter sound from this little wunderkind. It's nice to have these two different sounds available with such terrific instruments!

Of course you have to make up your own mind about the sound you want from your guitars, but for my ear it's monel on red spruce and 80/20 on sitka. [thumbup]

ps.......the Martin Retros have monel windings (a full nickel/copper alloy) while the D-Addario nickel bronze windings are plated steel..........not quite the same.

Well because I love a string experiment and buc is a personal hero of mine , I've got to try martin retro monels don't I

Find out that they're £5 plus £15 postage from good ol us of a

Or £9 here

Good grief

I'll watch for a sale in them

Anyone want to start a transatlantic trade of Guinness or doc martin boots or something in exchange for strings and guitar gear ?

I am a solid convert to the Monel lights on my 2014 J45 standard. With bone pins, they define the quintessential J45 tone to me. Easy playability and extraordinarily long life are a bonus.

I have not tried the nickel bronze on that guitar, but love them on my Gretsch Boxcar round neck. May give them a try on the J45 someday.

RB

Well because I love a string experiment and buc is a personal hero of mine , I've got to try martin retro monels don't I

Find out that they're £5 plus £15 postage from good ol us of a

Or £9 here

Good grief

I'll watch for a sale in them

Anyone want to start a transatlantic trade of Guinness or doc martin boots or something in exchange for strings and guitar gear ?

Guinness! Nectar of the Gods, my friend. Doc Martens hurt my feet.

I have had a set of Martin Retros on my J45 standard for about a year. They just seem to match very well with the 45 and last a long time. Given that they are not expensive, they are definitely worth a try. If you don't like them, take them off.

Grunt I have a crap ton of strings amassed in the arsenal. I don't know why I buy so much; it's like I see the end of the world and want to be ready with guns, beer, and guitar strings.

Email me your address I'll send you martin retro lights to try.

That's very grascious but don't be worrying

Wouldn't be the first time I got strings under a recommendation here and didn't think much of them

I'm not losing sleep over them and I reckon my j45 sounds alright anyway .

Okay, the Monels have been on for about a week. I haven't played them that much and they still have a bit of newness to them but I have to say that these Monels are superb on my J-45. They seem to bring out a clear, uncolored representation of the guitar. If there are any electric players out there, it reminds me of a Timmy pedal. The Timmy is a boost/OD that is known for being highly transparent. I usually use DR Sunbeams and consider them a fuller, more colorful, and richer tone but they do, to my ears, color the tone just a little. I find the DRs to make a beautiful sound and the Mondels accentuate my J-45's fundamentals. These strings are outstanding! I will still play with these. I do find that the light gauge Monels a bit too light with a heavy hand(me!) [biggrin]. I think that the Monels would sound even better with medium gauge strings so there is a set of mediums on the coffee table just staring at me. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the tip! I love it. I've had this J-45 for seven years and in that time the only string I have really liked on it are the DRs. Now I have an alternative?! That is so cool.

As a disclaimer I use Newtones on my pre-1950 guitars. I sleep a little easier using round core strings. On the later guitars I have used and like both the Monels and the D'addario NB. But on archtops and the larger body guitars I prefer the D'Addario NB. They may sound a bit harsh at first but even out quickly. They also seem to last longer than others.

I think that the Monels would sound even better with medium gauge strings........

I'll second that. Put a set of Retro .013 on the 45 yesterday, tightened the rod about a half turn and bam!.......power and tone deluxe! I really, really liked .013s (80/20) on my Hummingbird but the heavier strings kinda chewed on my fingertip calluses after a time and I went back to .012s. So now I'm giving the Retro mediums a go on the 45, hoping that the fingertips hold up this time 'cause the guitar just roars with that thumpy, powerful Gibson tone! The sound is very solid......very fundamental and just boom! Glad to hear you're digging the monels......do try the mediums!

I'll second that. Put a set of Retro .013 on the 45 yesterday, tightened the rod about a half turn and bam!.......power and tone deluxe! I really, really liked .013s (80/20) on my Hummingbird but the heavier strings kinda chewed on my fingertip calluses after a time and I went back to .012s. So now I'm giving the Retro mediums a go on the 45, hoping that the fingertips hold up this time 'cause the guitar just roars with that thumpy, powerful Gibson tone! The sound is very solid......very fundamental and just boom! Glad to hear you're digging the monels......do try the mediums!

You know Buc, I agree completely. I usually use meds. on the Gibson but have moved to lights this summer. I found that I like the DRs Sunbeams in a light gauge and the Veritas in light gauge but this J-45 seem to cry out for Mondel meds. It's a good thing to look forward to.

Put a set on my D28 Marquis just last night. I had notes from a few years ago that they seemed to 'remove some of the color of PhosBronze' so I didn't like them too much (I also had a D-18GE back then, but unfortunately don't have my notes on how the Monels were on that).

After a recent change with Helix PBs, the -28 sounded a bit too...'wet' - like a damp towel was in there (I also lowered humidity a couple %). The Tony Rice cleared that sogginess up, sounded a little cleaner and clearer, and after a little noodling I liked the change enough to order a few more sets. I'll try them out further tonight, but so far I think they'll be on there for a while, as well will be tried on my OM-21 (8/2 now) and maybe even the LG-2.

I'm intrigued by the Monels. I think my '41 RI SJ100 would possibly suit them. They're just REALLY expensive over here and I'm quite partial to the good ol' Martin 80/20 12-54s that I've used forever and can pick up for £4.50 a set, so I may try the Monels in the future but at the rate I gig (whilst sweating and breaking strings in the process!) I hope they're not habit forming ☺️

Like 'em a lot. Use 'em both both my J35 and my National to good effect. They aren't for everybody. Some people just like the PB shimmer. They rock for anything retro or Americana. Fwiw, Martin added a new set, Lawrence Jubar med-lights, a little less beefy than the Tony Rice wet.

• 1 month later...

Old thread but....

Now, I have read on the various spots about the Martin CEO7 sounding superb with the Martin Retros monels - if I have seen it once, I have seen it a million.

Being a big Elixir PB fan, I usually grab some when at the shop but last time I spend so much on a guitar that I shook with fear at the extra cash for strings, so now...the Elixir PB box is empty. [mellow]

But there is another box of 'extraneous' strings, so the OM18V got a set of Elixir 80/20s from a batch that I bought by mistake - they had the price tag over the 80/20 bit. Hey, the OM sounds great with them. Who knew?

So now to the Martin CEO7..... As much as I love the Elixir PB 12s, and use them on everything, the CEO7 just doesn't like them. My only real failure - the adi top on mahogany seems to enhance a 'plasticky' sound from the strings that I don't get on other guitars. So, there lying in the 'extraneous' box is a set of retro monels. Hmm, I put another set or two on the old Gibson L-0 and liked them but had a bit of an allergic reaction.

Oh well, let's do it. Hey they sound perfect for the little CEO7! While it has only been a day, I see the light! LG3 next!

BluesKing777.

I am a solid convert to the Monel lights on my 2014 J45 standard. With bone pins, they define the quintessential J45 tone to me. Easy playability and extraordinarily long life are a bonus.

I have not tried the nickel bronze on that guitar, but love them on my Gretsch Boxcar round neck. May give them a try on the J45 someday.

RB

have nickle bronze on a J-45 Std and after 2 months they're still very good. Recommend 'em.

I am sticking with Martin SP 80/20 Bronze strings. Lights on some, Light Mediums on others (if I can still find them. I think they stopped making the Bronze ones and only make the Phos. Bronze ones now which I don't like), and Mediums on others.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it applies on this one to my choice of Martin SP 80/20 Bronze strings.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived