Gibson Brands Forums

Martin Retro Monels vs D'Addario Nickel Bronze on a J-45 Standard

Aggie

If it ain't broke, don't fix it applies on this one to my choice of Martin SP 80/20 Bronze strings.

I've had the light phosphor b. SP version on my 2010 Std. J-45 since early 2015 - and the guitar sounds superb.

A question to you, Jazzman J : Do you believe there is a point where ph's and 80/20 become similar ? , , fx after 3-4-6 months. .

[quote name=E-minor7'

A question to you, Jazzman J : Do you believe there is a point where ph's and 80/20 become similar ? , , fx after 3-4-6 months. .

Highly likely! I would think a lot sooner than 3,4, 5 months. Probably after a few weeks when the Phos. Bronze's new brightness wears off. One of the things I like about the 80/20 Bronze of the Martin SPs is they are not exceptionally initially bright sounding and therefore their transition when they age isn't as noticeable as in Phos Bronze strings. Therefore, I end up changing them less. But, that's my own preference and differ guitarists have different preferences. I play a lot of instrumental music...and prefer less bright tones.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

[quote name=E-minor7'

Highly likely! I would think a lot sooner than 3,4, 5 months. Probably after a few weeks when the Phos. Bronze's new brightness wears off. One of the things I like about the 80/20 Bronze of the Martin SPs is they are not exceptionally initially bright sounding and therefore their transition when they age isn't as noticeable as in Phos Bronze strings. Therefore, I end up changing them less. But, that's my own preference and differ guitarists have different preferences. I play a lot of instrumental music...and prefer less bright tones.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Highly likely!

Tend to agree with every word. Not the sharpest hawk when it comes to stings, but recognize what you're saying.

Always curious to hear how others experience these things.

As we know they are so subjective and often goes on so deep inside the ever-changing ear that they can get lost in the brain.

Archived