Gibson Brands Forums

The new Big Leaf Maple J45s

Jinder

• 2 years later...

I played a couple of them, and yes, they were of superb quality. They have a warm chime to them with more bottom end than a Mahogany J45 and a smooth but powerfully delivered treble. A slightly scooped midrange but not as much as an SJ200, very balanced in general. I'd say the Maple J45s would make a stellar rhythm guitar for recording. 

I was gunning to buy one until my Maple AJ came into view... which is a different beast altogether, but the Maple J45s were very, very good too. 

Thank you for the answer. The only Information I could find are 3 Videos - two with Greg  and another one from Session Music.

Maybe I can test one in the next time, but I had the same idea - would it be a supplement to the maple AJ or just a very similar sounding guitar? I have a 2016 Standard J45 and it is clear that the maple version will be different.

I tried a J45 big leaf maple today in a store in Berlin. Nice sound, string setup quite high, but could be fixed. The flubby pickguard is Lifting at the edges as usual -it is an instrument from 2017. 

Very rich sound but my maple AJ custom sounds still a litte better for me and the AJ looks better as a full maple guitar for me- but this is just my opinion, a J45 is sunburst ...

I would have bought the maple J45 if I would not have the AJ. And I left with a new old stock J 100 1941 from 2013. Was hanging next to the J45 in the showroom. It has the simple bridge, mahagony back and sides and sounds great! Total different to my SJ200, much louder and it has more dynamic. 

Jinder, there is a older thread from you about your J100. Do you still play it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, docr said:

I tried a J45 big leaf maple today in a store in Berlin. Nice sound, string setup quite high, but could be fixed. The flubby pickguard is Lifting at the edges as usual -it is an instrument from 2017. 

Very rich sound but my maple AJ custom sounds still a litte better for me and the AJ looks better as a full maple guitar for me- but this is just my opinion, a J45 is sunburst ...

I would have bought the maple J45 if I would not have the AJ. And I left with a new old stock J 100 1941 from 2013. Was hanging next to the J45 in the showroom. It has the simple bridge, mahagony back and sides and sounds great! Total different to my SJ200, much louder and it has more dynamic. 

Jinder, there is a older thread from you about your J100. Do you still play it?

Yes I do still play my '41 Reissue SJ100 and love it...I've owned two, the first I sold out of necessity back in 2017 when I had to pay for a car repair, and I was glad to replace it last year with my current one. Both were excellent but the current one is the better of the two by a hair. Very warm and silky but with a punchy dynamic range. I find mine to be very sensitive to pick attack, it can go from chordal wash to biting snarl with a subtle change of right hand technique. GREAT guitar!