Gibson Brands Forums

CS 336 Is Back in All it's Glory

Twang Gang

Custom shop announced a week or so ago that they are once again making the CS336. [biggrin] These are the real thing with a carved maple top '57 Classics, and an ABR-1 Bridge. Get 'em while they are available - another limited run. All with nice figured tops: Faded Cherry, Cherry, Iced Tea, and Vintage Burst.

They had announced a weird configuration a month or so ago of one with a mahogany top, P-90s, and a wrap around bridge tailpiece. I really don't think that configuration would give you the variety of tone that a maple top and humbuckers provide.

But these are the real thing with MRSP $3,999 so no significant price increase (if any). I bought one in 2003 that was listed about $4200 and then discounted by Sam Ash about 25%.

My opinion - this is the best model Gibson makes. Play one, buy one if you can you'll never regret it, and you may unload a few of your other guitars that you find you no longer need.

Custom shop announced a week or so ago that they are once again making the CS336. [biggrin] These are the real thing with a carved maple top '57 Classics, and an ABR-1 Bridge. Get 'em while they are available - another limited run. All with nice figured tops: Faded Cherry, Cherry, Iced Tea, and Vintage Burst.

They had announced a weird configuration a month or so ago of one with a mahogany top, P-90s, and a wrap around bridge tailpiece. I really don't think that configuration would give you the variety of tone that a maple top and humbuckers provide.

But these are the real thing with MRSP $3,999 so no significant price increase (if any). I bought one in 2003 that was listed about $4200 and then discounted by Sam Ash about 25%.

My opinion - this is the best model Gibson makes. Play one, buy one if you can you'll never regret it, and you may unload a few of your other guitars that you find you no longer need.

I take it this is what we are talking about

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/CS-336-Figured-Top.aspx

Which colour would you want?

Im quite liking the iced tea one... The red one is well nice too...

I preferred the P90 version but glad you like these.

Hey Drog I think I recall you said you ordered the Mahogany top P-90 version a few weeks ago. Did you get it, how is it? I'm not knocking that model at all, but I had a 2002 336 since 2003 and loved it. Just didn't think the different top and P-90s would give it the same type of tones.

Give us a review of yours if you like - I'd love to hear about it.

I take it this is what we are talking about

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/CS-336-Figured-Top.aspx

Which colour would you want?

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. For the past few years since they were not in regular production the only way to get a new one was through special order and a very high price.

I don't think Photobucket will let me show mine, but I got a 356 a couple weeks ago in Antique Natural and that is my favorite finish - not available in this run apparently.

I don't think Photobucket will let me show mine, but I got a 356 a couple weeks ago in Antique Natural and that is my favorite finish - not available in this run apparently.

As you know I am only too aware and jealous of your Natural 336.. Tis a thing of beauty :)

Archived