Gibson Brands Forums

Why is it that male musician's can't dance?

Izzy

1499758845[/url]' post='1867740']

Interesting to see how many here can't - or don't enjoy to - dance.

I'm another woeful dancer but with the curious exception of traditional Scottish country dancing......eusa_think.gif......

Goodness knows why but I really do enjoy a Gay Gordons or some-such and I think it might be this;

It's the 'self-expression' part of jiggling about on a dance floor that always flummoxes me. If there are rules, set-steps and a framework and one's partner(s) also knows these rules then, generally speaking, things work out fine and no-one gets injured. I think I could probably learn to dance a bit of Ballroom-style, for example, because there are rules. But the free-for-all which is Disco-and-Everything-After? Nope.

I'm not a 'Natural' dancer. Not even close. Ever since my days of being in my Primary School's band I've always wanted to be playing the music; not dancing to the music.

Pip.

Yes, it was when disco came out and I was dating and felt I had to dance. Just felt stupid! Hated it. Then when I married Deb and she liked to dance and that disco stuff was still out there. So I gave in and danced with her but she found out I didn't like it. So she enjoyed slow dancing too. Today I watch her doing those stupid disco moves and I have to just laugh, msp_flapper.gif she looks like such a retard!msp_flapper.gifmsp_flapper.gif

I can get laid WITHOUT looking like an idiot.

I can also look like an idiot without dancing.

Other than that, when in doubt, turn to Spinal Tap. The reason we can't dance is we're too old and too white.

I think musicians are kinda just a microcosm of the general population. There are some who enjoy and are good at dancing, and others who aren't. I'm sure there are a certain percentage who fit the stereotypical introverted musician who is focused on the art of playing their instrument, and not the visual performance aspect. I would assume these folks wouldn't be dancers. But I also think there are more extroverted musicians too.

Some musicians do routines and dance moves on stage, while others might think that's too gimmicky and their music might not be taken seriously. But a guy like Prince proved you could have moves and still be taken seriously as a musician.

I personally am not a dancer. I'm too self conscious and worried that I look foolish. I kinda envy people who can just get up and not worry about that. The few times that I am dragged onto a dance floor (usually only if I've had some drinks) I find myself playing the air guitar. [blush]

I do love to watch people dance though. Not in a creeper way. :unsure: Not surprising I like watching women dance, but it's also interesting to watch how different guys do their moves.

interesting topic. [thumbup]

Archived