Gibson Brands Forums

Prized Possessions

Buc McMaster

Well this has generated a bit more interest than I thought it might. Cool stuff, people. A couple of hammers have qualified! And the insignia collection sounds like a wonderful attachment to your youth and an important moment in history, Hogeye.

Come on, folks, let's see some more........

One last thing - Buc - my Dad also passed through the NAS at Pensacola in the 40's. He was training as a USN pilot and flew out from there to do his carrier qualifications.

Small world. Perhaps the prop dad acquired was from the same type of aircraft your pop trained on.

Murph, is that the shack out of Evil Dead ... ?

I haven't tried my photobucket since the big ruckus, but I built a cabin in my 30 acres of wood. By hand, no electricity out there. It's a hunting cabin, escape hatch, place to write, camp, reflect, etc. I spend more and more time out there as I age. Wood burning cook stove from the early 1900's. Even a solar pond.....

100_2435_zpsipdkcjco.jpg

Other than guitars? Wow, tough one. I have some coins from my grandfather, mostly from the mid to late 1800's, some from outside the US. I also have a 25 cents paper money from around the Civil War era that he passed on to me. He was in WW1 AND WW2 and had collected them over the years. He also left me an arrowhead collection that he had accumulated over time. Those would be it, other than my guitars.

Guitars, of course. Also antique pocket watches. My father's USMC K-Bar from WWII. Furniture that's been in the family forever inc a chest of drawers that made the journey into the west via covered wagon. My silver-trimmed saddle. I tend to collect stuff, so there's lots more....

The only thing I could think of would be a couple DVD's I made from some VHS tapes of my parents and grandmother. I bought my 1st VHS video camera in '84 and the night we got it I went to my parents and videoed all of them with my then 2 year old daughter. I lost my Grandmother a couple months later then my Dad a couple months after that.

I think most of the resources have gone on guitars over the years, and I am not a big 'possessions' person, but I really appreciate my Nikon SLR camera and the MacBook I got later to use with it. I have had 'point and shoots' for years and never a nicer camera, but even though mine is just a midrange model - it just suits nicely. I bought a spare battery when I got it because previous cameras chewed though them and earlier models ate them in 3 or 4 photos! The battery lasts so long now that I don't remember charging either the one in the camera or the spare - and the camera memory card can hold monstrous amounts of photos! [thumbup]

ycj2TVX.jpg

BluesKing777.

I love golf, as well as guitars. Played some college golf back in the day. But after getting married and having children, I started thinking about something I could do for the kids that I could leave behind for them. So back in the 90's, I started drawing golfers. Just #2 pencil drawings. I thought after doing a few, I would try and get them autographed by the player I did. I ended up getting about 18-20 of them signed. The one below of Ben Hogan, of course is not signed. But it's something I can pass on to my children.

hogan.jpg

Outstanding drawing, sir! How about one of someone with a Gibson guitar.......? Sounds like a nice subject.

I offer a hearty second! If not someone WITH a Gibson, how about just the guitar? Or maybe of each?

Other than my wife, daughter and granddaughter it might be this A.H. Fox 16ga A grade, c. 1924...

Qu5nGYTl.jpg

or this Parker SC single barrel trap gun, similar vintage...

7CWFtf0l.jpg

and yes, I know about Randall knives. My old style Trout & Bird...

hHkEhst.jpg

Play4him: nice drawing!!

Hey thanks guys. It's amazing how I seem to go in spurts on my hobbies. I haven't drawn anything since the late 90's. Buc, I will consider drawing a guitar figure. It's been so long, and it takes quite a bit of time. But I will think about it.

Golf seemed to come natural to me. My father was a scratch golfer, but never forced me into golf. I played basketball, football and baseball growing up. I didn't start golf until high school. Within two years I was shooting around par. It became my passion.

As far as drawing, I hadn't drawn anything since high school which was in the mid 70's. I wasn't anything special as far as an artist. When I started trying to draw in the 90's, I think I just willed myself into being better. My first few drawings were nothing special. In fact, I still laugh when I think about my first try. It was actually the one of Ben Hogan that I posted. But my first attempt at him looked more like Babe Ruth than Ben Hogan. But I stuck with it, and definitely got better at seeing and displaying detail.

Now with guitar, it didn't come to me that easy. But I do love playing. I sure enjoy and appreciate all you guys that can play and sing so well. Thanks again for the nice words.

Have to go back before WWII and present a vintage toy. My late father's harbor - a rather close model of the real thing, which still exists under new and modernized architecture.

He played with it in the 30's and I did the same 30 years later.

There's a cart-board-box with a whole lead-armada - hand-painted civil ships of all sizes and purposes, naval vessels including a surfaced U-boat - but they are put away for the moment.

The plate itself stands so I can see it - actually looking like a piece of art from that same period.

It's a really rare item and a poly-dimensional treasure for me. I got it in 2011 after not seeing it for almost 4 decades. And recalled it so clearly.

1930's ~ Vilhelms%20havn_1.jpg By night.

A detail ~ Vilhelms%20Havn%204c.jpg with gas-tanks and rusty ships in dry-dock.

And from a gull's point of view ~ Vilhelms%20Havn%202.jpg(lots of them above any harbor)

Third guide light is missing. Should be on the pier where the ferries lie. Notice the rail-road tracks everywhere, , , and that they lead aboard.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I like the golfer too - very original subject for pencil drawing - the swing.

Archived