Gibson Brands Forums

Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis.

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

I learned on Monday that I almost certainly have one or the other. There's a list of weird symptoms you wouldn't think are related, and a lot that you might, and I have them all.

It represents a bit of a failing by my GP who was treating several of the symptoms separately and based on misdiagnosis, including prescribed diclofenak which it turns out is really bad if you have either condition but I'm actually relieved to know why I'm exhausted, vomiting and in pain a lot.

I'm awaiting various endoscopes to be stuck in places I'd rather not have them but the list of symptoms is so bizarre and having all of them it seems a foregone conclusion. An emergency doctor in A&E connected it all when I turned up on Monday in a lot of pain and vomiting. He felt it was almost a certainty.

I also found out I have a hiatus hernia.

Hoping I do have this because then I can start treatment and hopefully feel better soon. It's been a pretty shitty year.

Any sufferers of either on the forum?

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, Farns, regardless of which it turns out to be.

I'd heard a bit about Crohn's and have just read some more and it doesn't sound like a party. Ditto U.C.

Hope you all get a grip on the situation sooner rather than the alternative!

Pip.

I worked with a man who had Crohn's and with another whose sister had it as well. According to what I recall, the tests are more of a pain in the (oops 😨 poor phrasing) than the treatment. Often it can be controlled very well with minimal meds and diet and the results are quite good. Stay strong!

Jeez Farnsie thats no good mate! I wish you luck with resolving these issues and hope that good help is available to you.

It's interesting with some of these diagnoses as last year when I was in hospital (a lot) for issues regarding my gall bladder, they came out with the news that I also had Colitis, Diverticulitis and a small hernia! Jeez thanks a lot Doc!

I know I've got a hernia as I have to work around it cutting and carrying firewood...it gets pretty sore! But as for the other two, the doctors I was involved with back then were a bunch of turkeys as I have none of the symptoms that you describe and are usually associated with such conditions. In other words I'm bloody lucky!

Anyway keep us up to date with your treatment and just in case you need it, I'm sending some original Aussie "good vibes" to help you along the way.

Guest Farnsbarns

Remember I went to hospital with chest pains and came out thankfully not having had a heart attack but with a diagnosis of costocondritis? Nope, that was the first I knew of the hernia and that's when I was prescribed diclofenak.

I had an Inguinal Hernia, which was repaired with surgery. Yours is a little bit different and not as common.

And while I don't have Crohn's, I have dioverticulosis. Not as bad as what you have my friend, but sometimes it get infected and turns into diverticulitis.

And that can be pretty painful. I have a number of digestive problems and suffer from them every day.

I hope you have some relief from your pain soon.

Pain in that area just makes you feel miserable all over. It affects the way you eat and sleep, and it makes life miserable.

Thoughts and prayers your way. :)

Sorry to hear Farns and best of luck having it cured in a short time. I've never had any of what you mentioned but my mom went through hell with some bad issues. Bad heart, bad kidney, bad liver, and then to top it off, she got a severe infection from too many antibiotics they were giving her in the hospital and it affected her colon and she came down with a severe case of C Diff. That was close to her 87th Birthday and now she's fine. Stay strong and prayers for healing.

Where they stick them will be the least of your worries. I had something similar ages ago, and... well, you'll find out.

It's good to get it checked out properly, though. Cancer hurts a hell of a lot more than a complete GI checkup.

Not saying you should worry. My point is, good on you for taking it seriously. My Dad is one of those guys who'll MAYBE see a doctor if his arm falls off.

I could never understand that. Particularly as we're in Sweden, where the initial visit is 20-30 bucks, and should, God forbid, something be wrong, well, at least you won't be charged a dime more, even if you end up in hospital for six months.

And with all the advances in cancer treatment, why not take advantage of them? Most prognoses are pretty good if you catch it early. It's not like way back when.

I think you'll be fine. Hope I didn't worry you. I had a complete rectoscopy the other day, so I walk the walk too. Cancer scare. Apparently, I was A-OK.

It certainly wasn't pleasant. But for the price of two sets of strings... I don't find it financially reckless to pay that when you have a potential situation, however unlikely. Gibson charged me $1200 for the 2017 V, and so help me God, I'm gonna be around to enjoy it for years to come!

You'll be fine. Keep us posted.

Sorry to hear that. Crohn's and UC can be difficult to diagnose but should be suspected with chronic GI problems/complaints. What sort of labs or imaging have you had? As you probably know, you really need biopsies.

The symptoms, severity and course can vary substantially from person to person.

I hope all goes well for you.

So sorry to hear that Farns. Were you prescribed diclofenac/Zorvolex (in the USA) for osteoarthritis? According to Epocrates (a terrific app, BTW), common reactions to this drug include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea. I wish you the best possible treatment and outcome. Good vibes and prayers for a speedy recovery and complete healing are sent your way.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Farns; I'm so sorry to read this. How are you coping? Are you feeling a bit better, at least physically, now that you're off the drugs that were causing issue?

Regardless of whichever ailment it turns out to be; I hope that they get you sorted in whichever way they can, without any more foul-ups.

I had/have Crohn's since I was a kid. I went through several years, between like 9 and 15, of feeling like crap and looking like crap. I finally had to get surgery performed where they took out about a foot of my lower intestine.

Luckily, as an adult, I've only had mild "bouts". I feel bad for those who experience these debilitating symptoms as adults.

The drugs have gotten way better and more effective, however, since the late '70s-early '80s. Whatever it turns out to be, I hope your doctors can manage your symptoms, and you can live comfortably.

Damn Farns, sorry to hear that bro!

I wish you all the best man.

But it's great to know what the hells going on.

At least you have a hope controlling it.

All the best to you man.

You're a smart guy. You'll deal with it!

Not knowing is way worse.

Good luck bro

Archived