Gibson Brands Forums

What's a few things that bug you ?

Karloff

Someone that I dont know who wants to get up and play (my guitar).

It happened at a jam night once. The first thing the guy did was start turning the tuners. Not only was the guitar perfectly in tune, the strings were locked off at the nut. Lucky he didnt break something.

Nowadays I politely say 'no'. This is usually answered with 'whats up? dont you trust me?"

Someone that I dont know who wants to get up and play (my guitar).

It happened at a jam night once. The first thing the guy did was start turning the tuners. Not only was the guitar perfectly in tune, the strings were locked off at the nut. Lucky he didnt break something.

Nowadays I politely say 'no'. This is usually answered with 'whats up? dont you trust me?"

I played at a Halloween house party one yeah and someone came and asked to use our gear to play a few songs. I was using borrowed gear that night so I told the dude to ask my bandmates. Long story short, the dude was drunk and started getting belligerent so I told him to F off. A few minutes later this dude cracks a beer bottle over my bandmates head. My bandmate is like 6'6" and he can hold his own and he started choking the **** out of this guy. After that it was just a full on brawl

If I know someone and trust them then I don't have any problem letting them use my stuff, but some random dude.. if something happens then it will probably get pretty ugly so it's just not worth it.

That's one of my big annoyances as well. I've had numerous people ask to sit in on a song and play my guitar. I simply would tell them no, unless they want to hand me $3000.00 should they happen to break my guitar and amp. I couldn't tell you how many times guys have talked with me and said, "I used to have long hair." And, then they proceed to tell me about their guitar playing days and being in bands in high school.

If I know them, no problem. I need to know them and hear them play before allowing them to touch my equipment. There's also always the guy who wants to sing but really can't, therefore making everyone look bad.

Very drunk (or otherwise impaired) bandmates are just as bad and we fired a drummer after a gig Saturday night and brought in a new guy Mon and Tues, then played another gig Wed - Sat. The former drummer was going through a 12 pack of beer, or more, a night and putting it on a tab and not being able to pay the tab at the end of the week.

The borrowing your guitar thing is a hassle. I have two rules: nobody drives my Corvette, and nobody plays my guitars. I tell them sure you can get up and play - just go home and get your own guitar.

Another thing that's aggravating is the house sound man who either doesn't have a clue, or more likely just doesn't care. I am so happy to play at a place with a nice sound system and good monitors, and then the guy running it makes you sound crappy or you can't hear the monitors. [cursing]

Then there is the bar owner who expects you to pack his place with your friends and fans. And if you don't or if they don't stay the entire night then he says, well we agreed to pay you $XXXX, but we had a bad night so we can only pay you $XX. I don't want the guy to go out of business paying bands, but this has happened to me when we had a pretty good crowd on a weeknight and they want to renegotiate the deal at 2:00 AM. I got in my car at 4:00PM drove into the city, met my band and loaded gear into a van, drove to the gig, set up, played 3 or 4 sets, tore down, loaded out and am still looking at another hour and half before I get home - as long as the place wasn't empty I think I should be paid what we agreed on. [thumbdn]

But the main thing is to have fun while you are up on the stage performing, that's what it's really all about. [thumbup]

I don't think we have ever talked about this actually [thumbup] Good topic, Doug!

One of mine is really loud people at restaurant gigs - especially tables full of them - and especially if you are trying to sing a harmony or something that requires you be able to hear yourself! These are usually the same tables that request Brown Eyed Girl or Sweet Home Alabama as well. :rolleyes:

These are usually the same tables that request Brown Eyed Girl or Sweet Home Alabama as well. :rolleyes:

Not particularly appropriate songs for a small restaurant job I agree, but better than the drunk screaming "Freebird" [flapper] We heard that so often we actually learned the song (without the 8 minute lead part) and that usually shuts them up.

Not particularly appropriate songs for a small restaurant job I agree, but better than the drunk screaming "Freebird" [flapper] We heard that so often we actually learned the song (without the 8 minute lead part) and that usually shuts them up.

Back in the 80's and 90's we'd hear lots of shouts for "SLAYER!" So, we learned Angel of Death and played it. Of course, we also all knew Freebird. A couple of bands I was in didn't do requests or shoutouts but I was in 3 or 4 bands that would occasionally take requests if we knew the song or at least another song by the same artist.

Funny - we actually will do only the 8 minute lead part occasionally. [thumbup] That definitely shuts em up.

I played at a Halloween house party one yeah and someone came and asked to use our gear to play a few songs. I was using borrowed gear that night so I told the dude to ask my bandmates. Long story short, the dude was drunk and started getting belligerent so I told him to F off. A few minutes later this dude cracks a beer bottle over my bandmates head. My bandmate is like 6'6" and he can hold his own and he started choking the **** out of this guy. After that it was just a full on brawl

If I know someone and trust them then I don't have any problem letting them use my stuff, but some random dude.. if something happens then it will probably get pretty ugly so it's just not worth it.

Dub, I've had a gig or two go like that. I once had a drunk come right up on stage to start a fight with me. I threw him down off the stage, jumped down and started swinging. my guitar was still on me. full volume. strap locks held ! good investment .

Funny - we actually will do only the 8 minute lead part occasionally. [thumbup] That definitely shuts em up.

lol. thats great. we've gotta start doing that.

It's the people that want to try and talk to you in the middle of a song that makes me shake my head. sometimes while you're singing, they're still trying to talk to you.

Or playing an outside gig, and no stage, or if a stage, no cover or canopy is provided.

I haven't had the 'borrow your guitar' one for many years.....

The 'borrow your amp' is another. NO!

Yeah, drunks who stagger around, trip and go into the gear - it's like a magnet for them.

Usually what bugs me is the lack of any room to set up and play in, no stage, being stuck behind the p.a. speaker, etc etc.....

And we've had venues trying to re-negotiate the money after the gig too (weeks after the original agreement)....the money's always crap anyway so it just p*sses you off a bit more.

A couple of years ago we were 3/4 through the 2nd set in a pub and a lady got right into my face (just as it was my cue to solo) with "PLAY SOMETHING WE CAN DANCE TO!"

But these are exceptions. Mostly I enjoy myself lots.

[thumbup]

I think it's great to see that you guys actually get out and play to people - kudos all round!

Yeah, there are some frustrations, and I try to remind myself that "hey, I'm playing guitar and singing in a rock band!!!" whenever they arise (even at rehearsals) - not that I always convince myself, but it usually helps [biggrin]

I have two rules: nobody drives my Corvette, and nobody plays my guitars.

I'd have to agree. There are just a couple of unwritten rules in life: #1 you don't drive my car and #2 you don't touch my guitar UNLESS, in both situations, you ask first. And even then, it's MY decision, not yours.

Usually what bugs me is the lack of any room to set up and play in, no stage, being stuck behind the p.a. speaker, etc etc.....

That's a great answer which sorta brings me to my biggest pet peeve.. not enough OUTLETS!

We played some weird restaurant/bar gig in Hollywood that our friend's band set up. We load up all our gear and drive all the way out to LA and bring a pretty decent crowd with us between the two bands. We get on stage and there is a single two-prong extension cord sitting there, no joke. So of course we can't even plug in an amp to that stupid thing because all of the amps have 3 prong plugs. Luckily someone brought one of those power strip things which we were able to use

Then we get to phase 2 of this night.. we have our gear set up and we want to grab a couple drinks for the set. No free drinks or food and we find out that they aren't even going to pay us. So naturally I have no desire to ever go back to this place, but since we already hauled all of our gear and brought our friends we went ahead and played for our friends at MAXIMUM VOLUME to piss off the staff

I'm pretty easy going, so not a whole lot bothers me. At least not anything I can think of that happens on a regular basis. Maybe the lack of outlets thing...

But talking about people who ask to play or sing with the band. Last gig, there was some dude about in his 60s, with hair down to his back, wearing this slick black suit. He looked like a "player" who's been around. Our female singer said that he's so-and-so, a member of the Maryland Music Hall Of Fame, blah blah blah. He wants to sing "Stand By Me" with us. This isn't one of our songs, but it's a basic chord progression so we have no problem. He wants to do it in the key of F. OK. We introduce him and bring him up with great fanfare. He's a Hall Of Famer, right? When he starts to sing he's twice as loud as everyone else and barely on key. :unsure: We got through the song OK, but it wasn't what we were expecting.

That's a great answer which sorta brings me to my biggest pet peeve.. not enough OUTLETS!

Yeah, we play a beach bar that has one ext cord on the deck. We can do it as a three piece, but a larger band would like be out of luck.

I never show up to a gig without a power strip or two.

Another place we play actually added outlets for us since we were the first people to play there. That was d@mn nice of them. [biggrin]

Yeah, we play a beach bar that has one ext cord on the deck. We can do it as a three piece, but a larger band would like be out of luck.

I never show up to a gig without a power strip or two.

Another place we play actually added outlets for us since we were the first people to play there. That was d@mn nice of them. [biggrin]

I am going to make the ultimate power strip because this problem annoys me so much. Big *** metal box from Homo Depot with a bunch of ground isolated receptacles and the parallel resistor/diode ground loop isolation deal I used for the reverb unit. And of course a nice heavy duty cable that way everyone in the band can play from one outlet with no ground loop issues if needed

I am going to make the ultimate power strip because this problem annoys me so much. Big *** metal box from Homo Depot with a bunch of ground isolated receptacles and the parallel resistor/diode ground loop isolation deal I used for the reverb unit. And of course a nice heavy duty cable that way everyone in the band can play from one outlet with no ground loop issues if needed

Make me one too! [thumbup]

I rarely get to "Gig," anymore. So, I guess was "bugs" me, is the lack of places to play,

within a decent driving distance, and the fact that "Karaoke" and (Internet) Juke Box DJ's

have all but eliminated club and bar gigs, around here. The last bar we used to play in,

on a regular basis, has changed hands, and said they'd hire us, but we had to play soft

enough, that their customers could talk to one another, clearly, in a "normal" (non-raised)

voice, etc. I guess he's trying to turn the "bar," into a Barnes & Noble bookstore atmosphere??? [confused][rolleyes]

But, these days, out here, that seems to be the "trend," anymore. [tongue][unsure]

CB

My big gripe are the drunks that come over and try to sing in the mikes. It is a band gig not karaoke! Next biggest gripe are the drunks that think your equipment is a place to rest their beer. I had a tool spill a beer into an amp on me at a gig back in 1985, party was over for me at that point. I guess what I really dislike are careless and inconsiderate drunks.

Pub gigs: End of the night:

Trying to carry your heavy awkward gear through throngs of drunk customers who stand in groups. "EXCUSE ME" or "COMING THROUGH" usually doesn't work. You dont want to barge them out the way and you cant get past.

A couple of times in the 90s I switched on 'personal alarm' while doing this. It worked brilliantly, but was unfair on the rest of the street.

.....my biggest pet peeve.. not enough OUTLETS!

[cursing] [cursing]

....And that's the other one. How many times has the whole band had to take power from a single mains outlet.....too many, more than I can remember.

We all carry power strips anyway. The club I played in 2 months ago had a stage, multiple power outlets and even a dressing room. Quite exceptional!

not gigging a lot these days, but I def. have 2 issues that frost my onions..

Both have been mentioned...

The entertainment is expected to fill the room every time you're there. And then to bone the musicians if they don't sell enough Beer? so do they bone the bar tender? take a cut off the liquor distributors tab? no they don't.

Crowd noise, I was in a duo with a guy I've been working with since the 70s. A few of the places we played at were impossible. Why they even had entertainment there was a mystery. The wait staff would ask us to turn up, people in the back can't here, only to have another wait staff come over and say "gotta turn down" right.. too loud for people in the tables near the speakers. One night some guy walks up to us - with napkins stuffed in his ear... and a DB meter on his iPhone and started quoting OSHA regulations for volume... -- he had to yell this just to get over the crowd noise -- "you know you are damaging my hearing right".. (this is an acoustic guitar duo..) my buddy pointed to the door and said "bet it's quiet enough for you out there, why don't you go see"... he b!tched about us to the manager (who actually loved it when we played there) and left.. uh.. Buh-bye..

I used to look past it b/c I enjoyed playing out, but the PITA factor just trumps what ever pleasure I was getting out of the ordeal. ya just reach the point where you're just fed up with the hassle..

Archived