Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Karloff

What's a few things that bug you ?

I haven't played out for years. Hoping to rectify that.

But back when I did: nothing bothered me. I've washed puke and blood off of my guitar, and... comes with the territory, was my attitude

I always thought, and this is not hindsight: maybe at 40 you don't have a gig, so enjoy.

Then I scoffed to myself, yeah, like you'll make it to forty.

Just turned 40, of course.

Things that bug me during a gig, in no particular order:

People insisting that their friend sits in. You've heard it, "_____ is a very good singer and I'd love to hear him/her sing with the band." They don't want to take "No" for an answer. "Oh, he/she is really, really good." Note: I never-ever let anyone sing or play my instruments on the gig unless I know the person and we have made arrangements for this before the gig.

While playing a party at a senior citizen development, and you are hired to play until 10PM, at 9:30 everyone starts leaving, and the few people left are cleaning the tables while the band is still playing. I have a few of these centers trained to start and stop earlier so people can stay until the end and still watch the 10 o'clock news. -- now in the winter, and the French Canadians are down, it's just the opposite, these are party people.

After playing sets of various forms of dance music (rock, disco, etc.) to a full floor, and someone (usually female) comes up and asks, "Don't you know any dance music?" And if you ask for what kind of dance music or specific songs, they say, "I don't know, you know, DANCE music?"

But I don't mean to be a complainer. These things happen, but they are very uncommon. 99% or more of our gigs are a delight, we have the most fun a person can have with their clothes on, and we go home tired -- a very good kind of tired.

Notes

Someone that I dont know who wants to get up and play (my guitar).

Nowadays I politely say 'no'. This is usually answered with 'whats up? dont you trust me?"

The same thing bugs me and I say no except I'm not polite about it. I just say nope. If pushed I'll say get your own gig man.

As a singer, when I touch the mic and get shocked...the whole night.

...my mom always hated drunk people who would sing too loud or have a really loud conversation while you're setting a mood. She was a lounge singer for a while.

Nothing really bothers me, not since I was 40, 36 maybe. It as all happened, has all gone wrong, things forgotten, all of it, and none of it has ever killed anyone or stopped a gig from going on. Power is three hundred feet away, ok. One outlet for the whole band, ok. Whatever.

If you ask to play we'll say no. This is not a negotiation. If they get belligerent we'll stop and get the bar involved.

I don't care about the monitors, I only use them on house sound jobs and then I get them down low, I don't need to hear. I never said "I'll sing that if I can have a 14 foot high stack of monitors" I said "I'll sing that".

I don't care if I can hear my guitar with the precise EQ curve I have set it at. I don't care if I hear it at all. I never said "I'll play this song if I can hear it precisely both in the monitors and off the back line, with a little front bounce thrown in", I said "I'll sing this song".

75% of this is discipline. Practice until you don't need monitors for singing, and after a dozen times playing a song, who needs to hear it?

It's fun, and like all things fun it has some bullschitt involved but that's the cost of having fun. I don't let it bother me, I get too little time to do this to be all jiggy and schitt over dumb stuff that happens in every bar in the country. World.

rct

As a singer, when I touch the mic and get shocked...the whole night.

Christ kid, that hasn't happened to me since Carter was president. You need some polarity fixin.

rct

I used to do a lot of crew/lights/sound

Outlets is HUGE..........PA, Lights, Band.......one wall outlet......WTF!!!???@@@

STAGE VOLUME..........dealt with so many bands that didnt get it.........people would complain......"All I can hear is guitar".......both guitarists shut off at the board.........each guy using two 100 watt full stacks at the university pub.......oh my head.....

used to work with one band that every show the drummer would put a stick through a snare head......no backup......found a student "school band class" snare at a yard sale and bought it for him. Told him to start bringing it every show so we didn't have to burn half the set time changing heads.

Also, Bands with crappy gear........simple stuff......extension cords that you'd have to wiggle just right to get them to work........no spare strings......singer has to use his own mic, but it's terrible sounding

And my number one.............DRUNKS........customers, bar workers, the guy from the opening band who wants to discuss how to get his sound better in the middle of the headliner..........hate drunks.

the location of the pick-up selector switch on a les paul. especially if you play round the rhythm humbucker. thank gawd fer duct tape....

the location of the pick-up selector switch on a les paul. especially if you play round the rhythm humbucker. thank gawd fer duct tape....

Good bait, but no bite yet ;)

I play in a praise and worship band. The band members are all older cats with lots of experience and respect for other peoples' gear. The young hipster singers though . . .

Keep putting their cups of coffee, bottles of water, and assorted drinks on my amp while they sing.

I actually put a sign on my amp stating that it was an expensive piece of gear and not a coffee table.

People that turn up without gear; no one should assume that there is a house amp or drum kit.

And the inevitable lack of power extension blocks available.