Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson Modern Standard (custom)

Rabs

Is this the new LGBT model :P (sorry :))

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Modern-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx#MLPSPSL11060

The Modern Les Paul Standard tastefully improves on an undeniable classic with the addition of an Apex headstock for improved stability and a fully-chambered body, keeping the guitar balanced, resonant and extremely lightweight. And with a long neck tenon and all solid-wood construction, the sound and feel are everything you expect from a Gibson Custom instrument. This limited edition run features a rainbow of exciting new finish options.

$3,999

YMcfMhj.jpg

HhRVZVn.jpg

Some of the colors are pretty nice. Not sure what the resonance will be - it says they have "chambered" mahogany body which must be different than traditional weight relieved, modern weight relived and ultra modern weight relieved?? It says they are a limited run from the Custom Shop, but it's not a "LP Custom", it's a "Modern Les Paul" thus no custom inlay on the headstock and no block fingerboard markers.

All seem to have a creme pickguard except the pink one isn't shown with one. All have amber top hat knobs, seems like you might change knob color and pickguard color to better match the top. They have the new "apex" volute-like headstock, but under truss rod the website description says "NA". That usually means "Not Applicable", but I'm sure they must have a truss rod, just doesn't say if it's the modern one or the old tubeless type.

Burstbucker pups, rosewood fingerboards (doesn't say if they are rolled edge or not). Doesn't say if there are any push-pull knobs for coil tap etc.

Good looking LPs with Custom Shop price - just seems like Webmaster maybe wasn't given all the details to completely describe the features.

Go on the website under '17 Custom Shop, Modern LP Standard and click to change the color to the Trans Green. From the bridge to the end pin on the upper bout it looks like the grain is going from neck to end pin, but on the lower bout it is going across the guitar - very strange matching of a two piece top [confused]

Some of the colors are pretty nice. Not sure what the resonance will be - it says they have "chambered" mahogany body which must be different than weight relieved, modern weight relived (9 hole) and ultra modern weight relieved?? It says they are a limited run from the Custom Shop, but it's not a "LP Custom", it's a "Modern Les Paul" thus no custom inlay on the headstock and no block fingerboard markers.

All seem to have a creme pickguard except the pink one isn't shown with one. All have amber top hat knobs, seems like you might change knob color and pickguard color to better match the top. They have the new "apex" volute-like headstock, but under truss rod the website description says "NA". That usually means "Not Available", but I'm sure they must have a truss rod, just doesn't say if it's the modern one or the old tubeless type.

Burstbucker pups, rosewood fingerboards (doesn't say if they are rolled edge or not). Doesn't say if there are any push-pull knobs for coil tap etc.

Good looking LPs with Custom Shop price - just seems like Webmaster maybe wasn't given all the details to completely describe the features.

Go on the website under '17 Custom Shop, Modern LP Standard and click to change the color to the Trans Green. From the bridge to the end pin on the upper bout it looks like the grain is going from neck to end pin, but on the lower bout it is going across the guitar - very strange matching of a two piece top [confused]

I looked at the Trans Green finish as well. I saw a 2017 Standard Bourbon Burst (like mine) at Guitar Center with an unmatched top (unlike mine).

What I don't get is why they cost so much more than a regular Standard, other than they're made at the Custom Shop with not so many of the Custom Shop features. Overpriced for different colored finishes, in my opinion. Those wouldn't be my first choice. I'd take one if someone gave me one, of course. You'd think the pink one (Pearl Coral) would be cheaper since it's the only one without the flame top. Not my cup of tea.

Guest Farnsbarns

Until fairly recently no Les Paul Custom was ever a custom shop model. They were always a USA line.

Doesn't n/a mean not applicable?

9 hole weight relief is "traditional weight relief".

Modern weight relief was the first iteration of the spoke design.

Ultra modern weight relief has larger chambers but is very similar to modern weight relief with its spoke design.

Chambered is like a semi hollow but made of one piece and no f holes.

Dunno why they've suddenly started with the apex bit. It's a volute, always has been. No doubt apex will be the name of the next tuning system or something. They always use the same name for 2 things eventually.

Edit: just had a look for more info. It's a bit embarrassing for Gibson that their mobile site is broken. Can't make head nor tail of it, stuff off the edge of the screen and all sorts.

How do you fit a G-Force to that? [flapper][laugh]

I like the pink one best - very tough! $3999 is potentially less than you'd pay for a Standard (non Custom Shop) here and the lighter weight the better. So no complaints on price, chambering or colour for mine. [thumbup]

$3999 is potentially less than you'd pay for a Standard (non Custom Shop) here and the lighter weight the better. So no complaints on price, chambering or colour for mine. [thumbup]

In the US we can get a new Standard for about $2500 with push-pulls and locking Grover tuners so this would be quite a bit more $$ with less features. I like my Standard with Ultra-Modern Weight Relief (agree lighter is better), but they are saying this is chambered and I'm not sure what that means. If it's what Farns is describing - then it will be quite a different animal altogether. Not bad necessarily, but a different sound than a usual LP Standard. Just not sure that their description of the guitar is accurate. [confused]

You are blessed in the pricing department! (Although it's all relative to incomes and all that between countries too I suppose).

If it's got the same pickups as a regular Gibson then I can't see how it will sound different once it's plugged into an amp and given a kicking [confused]

In the US we can get a new Standard for about $2500 with push-pulls and locking Grover tuners so this would be quite a bit more $$ with less features. I like my Standard with Ultra-Modern Weight Relief (agree lighter is better), but they are saying this is chambered and I'm not sure what that means. If it's what Farns is describing - then it will be quite a different animal altogether. Not bad necessarily, but a different sound than a usual LP Standard. Just not sure that their description of the guitar is accurate. [confused]

Well if they haven't changed it.. Then it looks like this.. Theres just no F hole like say on a 336 which I also a solid body that's chambered out.

0fjGssE.jpg

Well if they haven't changed it.. Then it looks like this.. Theres just no F hole like say on a 336 which I also a solid body that's chambered out.

0fjGssE.jpg

There we go Rabs found an illustration. In reviewing the description further I see that a big part of the "Modern" Standard is a "fully chambered body". Carved (or routed) from a solid piece of mahogany, with a long tenon neck joint and the Apex (volute). They are stressing that it will have a LP sound due to the hardwoods used and construction and also emphasizing "extremely low weight".

I am guessing that these are built in the Custom Shop because they already have the tools set up to route out a solid block of mahogany for 336s and 356. Whereas Gibson USA that normally makes the LP Standard does not have that tooling and they wouldn't want to spend the money to tool up the USA shop for a limited run of 100 of each color.

They did something similar about a year ago or so - a hollow body LP. It was basically an ES Les Paul without any f holes. I saw The Captain and Chappers review it and they really liked it - but if I recall that one was all maple. This new Modern should have a slightly different tone due to the mahogany body.

Archived