Gibson Brands Forums

DIY 2.0

Dub-T-123

When you use stain on the neck, do you then go over it with multiple coats of the Tru oil?

Rgds - billroy

Yeah... All pretty simple really.. Let the stain dry off for an hour or so.. Then just apply what ever finish... It will have several coats so I can get it at least semi shiny.. Because I don't usually use filler it will never be a mirror finish, but that's not what I go for on my builds.. I like wood to look and feel like wood ;)

Step 1: Plan the build

Step 2: Build any special tools (you can) that are needed to do the job.

Will still need a fret saw and radius gage, and probably another thing or two - but if my ideas for home made tools work, i'm well on my way.

You can buy pre radiused and cut frets.. It is much easier :)

Like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FENDER-STANDARD-MEDIUM-JUMBO-GUITAR-FRET-WIRE-24-9-5-RADIUS-099-1998-000/362567432303?epid=2254325178&hash=item546ab3f86f:g:jpgAAOSwu3ZcWceA

Edited by Rabs

thank you, nice!

Ohh and also I didn't answer your other question.

Step 1...

Make or buy a template. This is how I made my first template :D

oGgdJ6Q.jpg

Literally made from wood from an old door

nLEp6qs.jpg?1

I would advise that you just get some cheap or free wood. I went to an industrial estate and got some pallets and cut up old doors which I would find locally in skips (of course I would ask first :) ).. Test that you can do it on some old wood. Once you are happy then get some nicer wood.. When I fist started trying to drill holes for the TOM and Tailpiece I must have tested it like 50 times on scrap wood before I was happy to do it for real. Even getting some pine slabs wont cost much..

You can get templates online https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC0.A0.H0.Xtelecaster+template.TRS0&_nkw=telecaster+template&_sacat=0

Or as make your own. What you can do is get a free image of a template and print it to size. Cut around the body shape and then use that to draw around on the wood...

RkP9kaE.jpg

Once you have the body shape drawn on the wood cut it as close as you can to the line with a jigsaw or band saw if you have one.. Then use the template and a router with a bearing bit to clean the edges up and get it to the exact shape. Like this, but he has a bench router.. But its the same thing.

Edited by Rabs

...Here's a 3 string (fretless) CBG I made (maple w/ mahogany), not great pics to tell how shiny and smooth it is, but the finish on the neck is beautiful...

QVQNkvL.jpg?1dgOP8be.jpg?1

Superb! I LOVE that you have used Klusons!

eusa_clap.gif

And Rabs! Fantastic stuff yet again. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one progress. It's a bit odd; although I know it will be great to see the finished article it's (IMO) more fascinating watching the whole process unfold bit by bit and step by step. It will almost be a shame when it's all over...

Thanks for the enlightenment!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Edited by pippy

And Rabs! Fantastic stuff yet again. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one progress. It's a bit odd; although I know it will be great to see the finished article it's (IMO) more fascinating watching the whole process unfold bit by bit and step by step. It will almost be a shame when it's all over...

Thanks for the enlightenment!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Cheers... And its a pleasure to share.. If it wasn't for the support and amazing people in this place I wouldn't even be doing this I don't think [thumbup]

And theres always the next build.. Which I may actually start next week in between oiling and finishing this one. I still have so many things I want to try yet.

Did you know theres some new guitar shows coming.. One in Newmarket which I am attending (on the 24th) and then they have one in Milton Keynes and then one in Chelmsford.. Depending on how the first one goes I may do all three. http://www.myclassicguitars.co.uk/

Yes, if you look at the pics above I did use a stain for the neck as the wood was a bit lighter and I was trying to colour match a bit (or it would annoy the hell out of me :) )

But yes.. Just tru oil on the body, no stain at all.

Missed that! Lookin fantastic btw

Ok.. Its oiling time :D

First thing though was to stain the neck as its a bit lighter than the body wood and would annoy me..

RZZdl5L.jpg

So I tape it off and use some Peruvian Mahogany stain

BVIFIwC.jpg

FGqhm0p.jpg

And the result

i5Yiyba.jpg?1

Then while that was drying I oiled the body... And thus will follow a load of gratuitous shots :D

C0qK0Xp.jpg?1

jNLa6ee.jpg

Fl7iUv4.jpg

z85EV2B.jpg

XvgPFZJ.jpg

3VmiGXt.jpg

Beautiful!!!

Hi all, planning my first build and looking into how necks attach to bodies. I'm planning to copy the Fender bolt on design, but when I look for hardware, it all comes with wood screws (screws that screw directly into the wood of the neck). I guess it works if that's the age old way, but I would think a threaded insert into the neck where a bolt screws into it would be more secure... and if I need to take it on / off etc, would be better than strictly the wood screws. This makes sense to me, but I miss the obvious some times.

Does anyone have experience or opinions on this?

Rgds - billroy

Hi all, planning my first build and looking into how necks attach to bodies. I'm planning to copy the Fender bolt on design, but when I look for hardware, it all comes with wood screws (screws that screw directly into the wood of the neck). I guess it works if that's the age old way, but I would think a threaded insert into the neck where a bolt screws into it would be more secure... and if I need to take it on / off etc, would be better than strictly the wood screws. This makes sense to me, but I miss the obvious some times.

Does anyone have experience or opinions on this?

Rgds - billroy

Well I decided to have a look as well I should know these things :) Or will need to at some point.

It seems both ways are used?? So I guess you have to decide which way you want to go..

Heres the latest....

Did the trussrod cover today.. Made from black Walnut

RFUN3NK.jpg

j9Zox9J.jpg

Annoyingly I realised today that I am out of my headstock logos (DOH!!) I have already emailed the guy who makes them. Hopefully he can get some to me by Wednesday.

And the guitar is getting there.. we are on about 7/8 coats now and you can see the grain is slowly being filled making the overall effect smoother. I will probably stop at about 10.

DebDMl2.jpg

5VdQux1.jpg

ztpW3zf.jpg

1HqYWP4.jpg

OYa8FUQ.jpg

p0NopKA.jpg

RFN2oSF.jpg

L8C50vR.jpg

• Upvote 1

lovin it Rabs! What is your plan for a pickguard on this - will she be naked, or how do you go about getting one fitted?

No pickguard for this one... I like the natural beauty of the wood to shine.. Mind you im the same with my LPs, if there is a nice top to be seen I leave the guard off..

Ok.. Last of the oiling done today.. Im happy with the finish, shiny enough for me :)

Only issue is the people who supply me with my headstock logos have let me down.. Not quite sure what im going to do yet.. I may end up using a sharpie on it [crying] (very carefully).

Anyway.. I will leave it a day or so to dry properly and then give it a good buffing.. Then I can at last put it all together [thumbup]

bGHg4A9.jpg

JphzRb9.jpg?1

I0gUQEQ.jpg?1

2z9SXq5.jpg

x2TxxU2.jpg

EkIO3LE.jpg

Vw2c5Ph.jpg

u5izRyQ.jpg

CAgWwBU.jpg

yjpFZQM.jpg

More soon :)

• Upvote 3

Ok.. Last of the oiling done today.. Im happy with the finish, shiny enough for me :)

Only issue is the people who supply me with my headstock logos have let me down.. Not quite sure what im going to do yet.. I may end up using a sharpie on it [crying] (very carefully).

Could you wait for a new batch, or are they out of the picture. Good luck, jones'ing to see this with the fretboard uncovered?

Could you wait for a new batch, or are they out of the picture. Good luck, jones'ing to see this with the fretboard uncovered?

Its not that.. Its that I have a show on Sunday.. I want this for the show as its the only example of one of my carved type tops I have left.. Its my fault really, I thought I had some and didn't and should have checked earlier. Its annoying as I mailed them Sunday, they answered back straight away saying sure no problem and then I haven't heard from the since and they didn't answer the phone today..

So its a case of, if I am lucky and someone wants to buy it, I don't want to sell it without a logo.. I have a few things like I printed my own labels once and I think I may have some left somewhere but they don't look anywhere near as good as my usual which are silver with a black outline... The ones I did myself are all black and it will barely show on this dark wood.

I have my thinking hat on.. I will do something, just not sure what yet.

Ohh and I cant wait to get this thing together and finished too [thumbup]

Edited by Rabs

Its not that.. Its that I have a show on Sunday.. I want this for the show as its the only example of one of my carved type tops I have left.. Its my fault really, I thought I had some and didn't and should have checked earlier. Its annoying as I mailed them Sunday, they answered back straight away saying sure no problem and then I haven't heard from the since and they didn't answer the phone today..

So its a case of, if I am lucky and someone wants to buy it, I don't want to sell it without a logo.. I have a few things like I printed my own labels once and I think I may have some left somewhere but they don't look anywhere near as good as my usual which are silver with a black outline... The ones I did myself are all black and it will barely show on this dark wood.

I have my thinking hat on.. I will do something, just not sure what yet.

Ohh and I cant wait to get this thing together and finished too [thumbup]

MOP inlay!!