Gibson Brands Forums

DIY 2.0

Dub-T-123

On 7/9/2019 at 1:11 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

Heres a quick snippet tracked through the rack for you guys

https://soundcloud.com/the-velvet-elvis/tele-twin

Signal chain is Telecaster > Guild Foxey Lady in bypass (I mention because it is a very old non buffered non true bypass pedal) > Twin Reverb > Beyerdynamic M160 (a couple inches in front of the speaker cone on axis) > API 312 clone > DIYRE EQP5 (Pultec based filter in this case boosting pretty generously at 10Khz and cutting a bit at 20Khz) > Hairball FET/500 (1176 compressor clone set to 2:1 ratio with fastest attack and almost fastest release)

So what I don't like is that I wasn't holding my guitar in the ideal position to reject 60 cycle hum and picked up way more hum than I would have liked. What I do like is that the guitar sounds pretty much just how it did in the room. I realize this does not really sound processed so you may be wondering why bother using the rack at all.. If you have any questions about that I'm happy to go into detail, but figure it'd be better not to give some super long detailed post at this time

Clean!  Sounds good, hum not noticeable (maybe I should turn it up more).

What does the Guild Foxey Lady in bypass do? Boost mids? 

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Clean!  Sounds good, hum not noticeable (maybe I should turn it up more).

What does the Guild Foxey Lady in bypass do? Boost mids? 

Glad you didn’t find the noise noticeable. I didn’t think it was bad at the time of recording but noticed it later. It’s inevitable with single coils anyway

The Foxey Lady is one of those old pedals that leaves the input of the fuzz circuit connected in bypass which loads down your pickups causing some high end loss. 

In this case I don’t think it was noticeable and a Tele and twin have high end to spare anyways. It does have a difference, but it doesn’t ruin the sound like some other bypasses can

Damn it..

Seems like someone has beaten me to it with the London Plane guitar.. One of our customers sent us these pics of what he is doing with the wood we sent him. I guess someone had too 🙂

1Pfxh3c.jpg

ULpFYrK.jpg

Maybe you’re onto the next big guitar wood!

Buttoned up my pair of KM84 clones. Did some quick testing with my acoustic and they sound great! It’s pretty hot here right now and I’m running the fan (too noisy for these sensitive mics) but I will shut that down in a bit to record a sample for you guys 

O5fSKbF.jpg

• Like 1

Here’s a quick clip recorded with one of the KM84 clones

https://m.soundcloud.com/the-velvet-elvis/martin-km84-clip

Just had a little desktop mic stand at home which doesn’t really allow much flexibility whatsoever on mic placement lol but the sound certainly changes a lot when you point it at different parts of the guitar at different distances etc

36 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Just had a little desktop mic stand at home which doesn’t really allow much flexibility whatsoever on mic placement lol but the sound certainly changes a lot when you point it at different parts of the guitar at different distances etc

Very nice! You should have made it longer. [smile]

10 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Impressive, electronics are black magic to me.

1 hour ago, billroy said:

Impressive, electronics are black magic to me.

Between the capsule and transformer (which I of course did not make) there is quite a lot of black magic here. Condenser capsules are made with incredible precision and engineering 

It is actually pretty simply to build a ribbon mic if that’s something you’re interested in. It is just a super thin aluminum ribbon suspended between two magnets, acting on the same principle as a guitar pickup (which I believe you have made?)

16 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

That’s cool. I’ve never used that wood before but I looked it up and apparently the tree is poisonous?

the edge looks sweet

From what I know the leaves are poisonous....  So just don't eat them  🙂   No, the actual wood is (as far as I know) fine to work with.

2 hours ago, billroy said:

Pretty cool looking, how thick are those tables...  anything in the 1 3/4 range?

Yeah id say it was about 45-50mm thick.. I didn't make them, just helped to finish them.

I also have a new guitar body blank.. I have been eyeing up the wood for weeks now ready to pounce...  I decided on this piece of Norway (Brown) Maple will be the first.

My boss has now gone away for the next six weeks. I have warned him that he must be aware than when he gets back all of the wood in the shop will be guitar body and neck sized  😄

wU5001z.jpg

buyWLsa.jpg

kz4Nbsf.jpg

Ww7gOuK.jpg

Edited by Rabs

28 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

What type of build are you planning with that?

That's a good question..   I am yet still to make a guitar for myself..  The Korina  double cut was meant to be for me but I sold that.. So probably one of my  DC shapes...  I have a lovely spalted maple top that's been waiting to be used..  I will probably change my mind several times before I start  🙂

This is the top..

N3BuRSS.jpg

JhmJFdm.jpg

Maybe something  like this

n4AMYFR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This time.. Logs....  Its what I like about this job.. Always something different to do   🙂

These are for a fashion shop called Ted Baker.. I think they are going in a store or a window or something.. From what I read they want like 10 more at some point..  Fun fun ..

Basically I had to go down to the farm where we keep our stock.. Get the guys there to cut off two bits for me.. They are Oak and damn they are heavy.... Then I had to de-bark them and sand them smooth... And again, cos its oak it was an all day sanding job..  I also had to make the tops as level as I could which I had to do with an electric hand planer... Pain  

lmnGnRz.jpg

X69cf7z.jpg

dbOdPUU.jpg

fSngq3Z.jpg

okXqmbc.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...

I built and biased/tested another pair of the KM84 clones this weekend. This pair has less expensive 3U transformers 

I would love to be playing with these things right now but I’m in the middle of moving and my home recording stuff is packed away at the moment. Will have more time soon!

WyEzbkv.jpg