Gibson Brands Forums

The link didn't work for me

Ok working now  🙂

Sounds sweet 👍

Edited by Rabs

Walnut table update..  Had its first coat of oil...

Loookadat!!   🙂

GcJvMY1.jpg

heK1F3K.jpg

3iflkKR.jpg

epxSbZE.jpg

Also I spotted someone using some London Plane for an acoustic or archtop build

mfzjVi5.jpg

wNCDQfD.jpg

65mhpMP.jpg

On 7/9/2019 at 1:11 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

Heres a quick snippet tracked through the rack for you guys

https://soundcloud.com/the-velvet-elvis/tele-twin

Signal chain is Telecaster > Guild Foxey Lady in bypass (I mention because it is a very old non buffered non true bypass pedal) > Twin Reverb > Beyerdynamic M160 (a couple inches in front of the speaker cone on axis) > API 312 clone > DIYRE EQP5 (Pultec based filter in this case boosting pretty generously at 10Khz and cutting a bit at 20Khz) > Hairball FET/500 (1176 compressor clone set to 2:1 ratio with fastest attack and almost fastest release)

So what I don't like is that I wasn't holding my guitar in the ideal position to reject 60 cycle hum and picked up way more hum than I would have liked. What I do like is that the guitar sounds pretty much just how it did in the room. I realize this does not really sound processed so you may be wondering why bother using the rack at all.. If you have any questions about that I'm happy to go into detail, but figure it'd be better not to give some super long detailed post at this time

Clean!  Sounds good, hum not noticeable (maybe I should turn it up more).

What does the Guild Foxey Lady in bypass do? Boost mids? 

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Clean!  Sounds good, hum not noticeable (maybe I should turn it up more).

What does the Guild Foxey Lady in bypass do? Boost mids? 

Glad you didn’t find the noise noticeable. I didn’t think it was bad at the time of recording but noticed it later. It’s inevitable with single coils anyway

The Foxey Lady is one of those old pedals that leaves the input of the fuzz circuit connected in bypass which loads down your pickups causing some high end loss. 

In this case I don’t think it was noticeable and a Tele and twin have high end to spare anyways. It does have a difference, but it doesn’t ruin the sound like some other bypasses can

Damn it..

Seems like someone has beaten me to it with the London Plane guitar.. One of our customers sent us these pics of what he is doing with the wood we sent him. I guess someone had too 🙂

1Pfxh3c.jpg

ULpFYrK.jpg

Maybe you’re onto the next big guitar wood!

Buttoned up my pair of KM84 clones. Did some quick testing with my acoustic and they sound great! It’s pretty hot here right now and I’m running the fan (too noisy for these sensitive mics) but I will shut that down in a bit to record a sample for you guys 

O5fSKbF.jpg

• Like 1

Here’s a quick clip recorded with one of the KM84 clones

https://m.soundcloud.com/the-velvet-elvis/martin-km84-clip

Just had a little desktop mic stand at home which doesn’t really allow much flexibility whatsoever on mic placement lol but the sound certainly changes a lot when you point it at different parts of the guitar at different distances etc

36 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Just had a little desktop mic stand at home which doesn’t really allow much flexibility whatsoever on mic placement lol but the sound certainly changes a lot when you point it at different parts of the guitar at different distances etc

Very nice! You should have made it longer. [smile]

10 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Impressive, electronics are black magic to me.

1 hour ago, billroy said:

Impressive, electronics are black magic to me.

Between the capsule and transformer (which I of course did not make) there is quite a lot of black magic here. Condenser capsules are made with incredible precision and engineering 

It is actually pretty simply to build a ribbon mic if that’s something you’re interested in. It is just a super thin aluminum ribbon suspended between two magnets, acting on the same principle as a guitar pickup (which I believe you have made?)