Gibson Brands Forums

DIY 2.0

Dub-T-123

That looks like a great job [thumbup]

Ive only done squares and trapezoids well and dots but that's easy as.... Its a long process if you do it the old school way which I do, but I have a dremel and want to get into doing some slightly fancier inlays at some point. Id also like to do carvings in the bodies aswell... So much I want to do, such little time [unsure]

I did not see your reply before and didn't see my double post either.

You know actually the star was easy in that a large chisel will go across two points on the star on this particular shape, does that make sense? what was very difficult is doing that on plastic. I did two trial runs on wood and it was easy.

Congrats, especially on keeping your nerve!!

Looks very good from the pics!

Thanks, no kidding, at one point I had a piece with superglue drying on the guitar, another one stuck on my finger and one piece that fell on the floor with the glue facing down.

I had run some tests on the drying time of this particular glue but the time is completely different when you apply a very small amount.

Edited by Riffster

• 2 weeks later...

What do you reckon on this...

Theres another guitar forum that I go to where a guy has put a design up that hes drawn for a different shape..

This is what he did.

WgZLcz3.jpg

Everyone was talking about the design and what they would do.. So I decided to have a go... I came up with this and posted it and its been over a day with not a single response [crying] .. But you know what.. the more I look at it the more I like it... Im actually thinking about building it :) What do you think?

sMrsm3s.jpg

Edited by Rabs

Theres another guitar forum that I go to where a guy has put a design up that hes drawn for a different shape..

This is what he did.

Everyone was talking about the design and what they would do.. So I decided to have a go... I came up with this and posted it and its been over a day with not a single response [crying] .. But you know what.. the more I look at it the more I like it... Im actually thinking about building it :) What do you think?

Reminds me of an Explorer with an added upper wing. Could be a fun project.

I came up with this and posted it and its been over a day with not a single response [crying] .. But you know what.. the more I look at it the more I like it... Im actually thinking about building it :) What do you think?

Looks like a mix of Gretsch Astro-Jet, 80s Fender Performer and a 60s Italian or Japanese formica-top thingy.

I think the whole thing will be too far to the left of the player to be useable.

Looks like a mix of Gretsch Astro-Jet, 80s Fender Performer and a 60s Italian or Japanese formica-top thingy.

I think the whole thing will be too far to the left of the player to be useable.

Hmm, I think I see what you are saying but am not sure.. In those terms its not that much different to a firebird or explorer with a huge back end like that.. Ive played both of those guitars and you are right, it did feel a bit weird to me.. BUT there are many people who do like it...

Thanks Rabs!

Nope Travis, I bought it on eBay, the seller makes guards for several models that do not come with one from factory. I like this style that extends into the side of the freboard like a 1960's special does.

Note how I went with a single dot inlay at the 24th fret, I only had one left and looks better this way.

27429342748_4778a61212_c.jpg

Edited by Riffster

• 2 months later...

We redid a couple of Pro Juniors for a guy in tweed cabinets and the customer lacquered both of them and reliced one of them himself and they came out pretty nice. He used regular guitar lacquer in a spray can. One of them is light amber and one is dark amber. He reliced he dark one and it came out pretty nice. He just taped off the chassis and other stuff to do the spraying. Which is o.k., I guess. <_< Check out the cigarette burns and the drink ring on the dark one! [thumbup]

36475762_1551360998324256_8532017280135987200_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=f112d8083bcc8377075debdc9a5f51b8&oe=5BE138B336543503_1551361288324227_7056417356481822720_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=be4e72decf090417074ec0b142541e7b&oe=5BE1D97436522962_1551361558324200_1712906792427585536_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=d50485e5cf14b29e8177f2eea45a403b&oe=5BE4BF8636445073_1551362011657488_3194401339652177920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=577296287efe3871c0e0676a31d352e2&oe=5BDADD95

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Still modding my Marshallized Epiphone Valve Junior. This time only cosmetic stuff. But I did it to open some room for some switches.

I love tinkering with stuff and I also love this head, it sounds great using an attenuator.

From this:

36429119974_6604079957_c.jpg

to this:

29376037327_32568c59af_c.jpg

42504461030_f3bd28c633_c.jpg

• 4 months later...

Nice Rabs. Cant wait to see what you do with that wood!

Me too.. I actually HAD to buy it the second I saw it.. It had 10 watchers too, slackers :)

It wont be a Strat, I can tell you that much. And it will be natural finished as it would be sacraclige to do anything else. I have some nice black walnut body blanks sitting about and some black walnut neck wood.. Will maybe use that in a DC shape.

Like this

4mCSeqf.jpg

kvoe9yh.jpg

avLliZF.jpg

What would you make?

Edited by Rabs

Me too.. I actually HAD to buy it the second I saw it.. It had 10 watchers too, slackers :)

It wont be a Strat, I can tell you that much. And it will be natural finished as it would be sacraclige to do anything else. I have some nice black walnut body blanks sitting about and some black walnut neck wood.. Will maybe use that in a DC shape.

Like this

4mCSeqf.jpg

kvoe9yh.jpg

avLliZF.jpg

What would you make?

What I would make isn’t important since this is all you :)

Since you asked, I’ve been wanting to make a Flying V. Personally I would gravitate towards a solid color for that, but the quilt on that wood has kindof a chevron pattern which would really look cool on a V shaped body

What I would make isn't important since this is all you :)

Since you asked, I've been wanting to make a Flying V. Personally I would gravitate towards a solid color for that, but the quilt on that wood has kindof a chevron pattern which would really look cool on a V shaped body

in the middle pic you can actually see a Flying V in the grain!!!

What I would make isn’t important since this is all you :)

Since you asked, I’ve been wanting to make a Flying V. Personally I would gravitate towards a solid color for that, but the quilt on that wood has kindof a chevron pattern which would really look cool on a V shaped body

Well I was just interested... Sometimes its nice to have some external input. My double cut obsession seems to direct me most of the time but im up for doing different stuff too. :)

The thing with me is that I love the natural look as you all know. And in my head that means I want a nice big area to show that wood off.. On a LP or SG you really get a nice canvas to show the wood off on the back bout of the body.. On a V specifically theres less space. I have such a big list of builds I want to make its silly :) Its like a different type of GAS, never ending and evolving ideas.

I did what I called a frame body a while back. Im really intrigued by how it will turn out. Cant remember if I posted it before or not.. what I did was make a frame made of oak and then stuck maranti boards either side and cut to shape. I think it could be really interesting.

aNiFN6r.jpg

qR96DFM.jpg

UUK2Kao.jpg

qoDBFyW.jpg

h6cM4DI.jpg

0PoWOxB.jpg

Edited by Rabs

• 1 month later...

Finally got back to work today YAY ME!!! :) Seriously it felt good.

So I have a show on Sun 24th of this month and want to get this finished for the show as its the only example I have now of one of my carved type tops..

Just got to the first lot of final sanding and shaping today..

If you don't remember its going to look something like this (but with a toggle switch :))

rjNOfkQ.jpg

And made from this lovely lump of African Walnut

HMrFrn6.jpg

nirgFY1.jpg

And how it looks now

Q2NAAHH.jpg

pcrv6QE.jpg

sz2SRtc.jpg

ZEst9Ns.jpg

fd9VlYC.jpg

PiUcxcX.jpg

bqdHZoU.jpg

:D

Edited by Rabs
  • Upvote 3

Nice to see you have managed get back to the build side after all the succession of hurdles that have been in your way for such a long time.

That's coming along swimmingly, Rabs. There really is nothing like having a fixed deadline to meet to get one's arse into gear!

msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Looking forward to the progression of this!

Pip.

Edited by pippy

Nice to see you have managed get back to the build side after all the succession of hurdles that have been in your way for such a long time.

That's coming along swimmingly, Rabs. There really is nothing like having a fixed deadline to meet to get one's arse into gear!

msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Looking forward to the progression of this!

Pip.

Thanks Pip.. And yes totally. I will admit to dragging my heals a bit the last month or so but I really needed this show so am really glad about it.. And now back to work. [thumbup] (and I had a good reminded today on how boring and knackering sanding is :rolleyes: )

Edited by Rabs

Really like the idea of the Tele neck pickup. Interested to hear it on 24 3/4” scale (?) with naturally what must be a slightly different distance from the bridge

How do you plan where to put the pickup? Have you ever noticed that Telecasters have the neck pickup right under what would be the 24th fret so you can’t hear certain harmonics through that pickup?

Really like the idea of the Tele neck pickup. Interested to hear it on 24 3/4” scale (?) with naturally what must be a slightly different distance from the bridge

How do you plan where to put the pickup? Have you ever noticed that Telecasters have the neck pickup right under what would be the 24th fret so you can’t hear certain harmonics through that pickup?

Well I think the whole idea with me is that I just want to try stuff. Doing slightly different things like this what I hope gets me noticed... Yes its Gibson scale (as actually is every guitar I have built so far)...

As for planning.. Lol... Sometimes I have a very specific idea.. Sometimes I just go with what ever comes to mind... Sometimes it depends on the type of neck joint I have made and how safe I feel taking some of the tennon away that close to the joint and how deep the pickup pocket has to be to accommodate it (so P90s make me more nervous).

So its a bit of everything :) (and I still have a list of other things I want to try)

Edited by Rabs