Gibson Brands Forums

Late 1940s Gibson LG2

MancJonny

Here are pix of an LG2 I bought in October 2013 and sold in August 2015.

It required a little work by a tech here in the UK to sort a rattle - new nut, saddle, etc, but, so far as I can recall, no major overhaul.

It was a nice guitar, but had nothing like the same quality of build as my beloved J-50 (http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/138349-1949-gibson-j-50/)

wUUTcSFl.jpg

j5wF4kIl.jpg

0XvQYVnl.jpg

r21OYK5l.jpg

fL5bf80l.jpg

92vZkudl.jpg

Dmdtnfyl.jpg

itY5TD3l.jpg

GD7Ll97l.jpg

qIpIC61l.jpg

Purrrrdy! I ain't telling you what you don't already know, but they're different guitars and you have to know how to play them in their respective ranges. As far as build, I feel they're of equal design quality.

I sold my 2 50's era LG2's over time for one reason or another, but now find I love playing my very similar Hoboken Guild F20. It's a little brighter flat picking sound. I'd like to get a chance to reacquaint with the LG2, though, but I prefer the featherweight 30's L00's overall. That and a small bod Martin 000 are destined to be my 2 to grow old with.

As someone who is on the hunt for a vintage LG-2... This doesn't help. I can see how the J-50 would be better. As I try out small-bodied guitars I pick up a dread out of curiosity and MAN those things are booming cannons! To me it seems that the small stuff is hit or miss but an old dread always seems "right". Pity my right shoulder can't play them anymore. Jeb, how about a pic of that Guild? I have a JF 30-12 ( Corona- It's okay) and a Westerly DV-52E (The last sitka/rosewood dread I'll ever need to buy) so I'd love to see it.

Beautiful looking LG-2, Jonny- looks like a '46, by the burst. Nicely photographed. . . and how old is that wall in the background?

Although JedZep's suggesting that the J-50 might be louder than a 00, my observations would not match his, but I do agree that the build quality of the two guitars should be similar, even though there are always exceptions.

Nicely photographed. . . and how old is that wall in the background?

Ha! My photography is very hit-and-miss. Thank God for broad daylight.

The wall dates from 1903 and is more than slightly overdue for a re-paint.

I can send a pic of the outside toilet, too (yes - there really is one!), if you're into that sort of thing . . . .

Ha! My photography is very hit-and-miss. Thank God for broad daylight.

The wall dates from 1903 and is more than slightly overdue for a re-paint.

I can send a pic of the outside toilet, too (yes - there really is one!), if you're into that sort of thing . . . .

Nobody who ever had to use 'outdoor plumbing' could be expected to be deeply 'into' the concept, but pictures would be nice😂

Archived