Gibson Brands Forums

2014 ES Les Paul vs. 2016 ES Les Paul???

Larsongs

I'm looking at 2 new Memphis Gibson Black Top ES Les Pauls. One is a 2014 & the other is a 2016.

They appear to be the same. Does anyone here lnow if the are or aren't? If they're different what are the differences??

Thanks you,

Lars

• 3 weeks later...
1500147060[/url]' post='1868647']

I'm looking at 2 new Memphis Gibson Black Top ES Les Pauls. One is a 2014 & the other is a 2016.

They appear to be the same. Does anyone here lnow if the are or aren't? If they're different what are the differences??

Thanks you,

Lars

I think the 2016 has adirondack spruce bracing and abr-1 bridge (2014 had the AVR2 bridge) there may be a cap change between them too but I don't recall the specs. I've read differing things on the neck carve so seems like that may be different but might just be normal variation on the hand finished necks. 2014 has 1.7" nut, 2016 has 1.68" nut I think too...

I don't see the 2014 model on the Gibson site any longer so just going from memory, might be some other differences...

-Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting the 2014 & it was beautiful sounding Guitar. The Pickups sound almost as good as the original '59 PAF's that were on my old '59 ES345. At least from memory. I can't say that about the past several Gibson's I've owned.

However, upon close inspection there were some funny looking refilled & poorly refinished Holes in the Headstock that shouldn't be there.

The more I played it the more I could see them & the more it bothered me. I could envision when I go to sell or trade this Guitar at some point, as I go thru a lot of Guitars, potential Buyers thinking something was wrong & wanting to pay nothing for it.

So I called my Sales Rep & they were great. They said they have another one coming in on Aug. 18, 2017 & reserved it for me.

I called yesterday as it was the 18th. Wasn't showing that it arrived.

I've been thru some really long waits for Guitars in the past & one that after 8 months never showed up at all. I said never again!!!

I'll give them a couple days but after that my loyalty is with me.

In your experience how punctual is Gibson on Delivery Dates to their Dealers? Any feedback is appreciated. Should my Dealer have a Tracking number for Gibson?

Thanks,

Lars

• 2 weeks later...

I actually picked up a 2015 ES Les Paul between my first post on the thread and now. Sorry I don't know much about how Gibson is on delivery dates. I will say I like the 2015 a lot with a few things I am not thrilled with.

My two main gripes are that 1st it doesn't fit snugly in the case. The headstock can move right to left because the body is loosely fitted in the case so I am concerned something may happen to it carrying it around, or at least it might get wear marks or scratches. 2nd the tuners are very imprecise. They look good but it's tough to get it in tune because they are stiff and it's tough to tighten or loosen them by small increments so it's always "just about" in tune.

I'll probably need to get them replaced with locking tuners because other then those two things I really like the guitar. Hope they are able to get you fixed up soon.

-Jim

Archived