Gibson Brands Forums

Where to measure pickup height for SG without pickup rings?

sbpark

Wondering where you take your measurements on SG's that don't use pickup rings, resulting in the pickup not being parallel to the strings? I installed a set of SD Seth Lovers into my SG Standard and have been tweaking them, and of course it's don by ear, but just curious for and hose of you who measure where on the pickup are you taking your measurements on the tilted pickup? Thanks!

same process usually, fret at the last fret, measure from the pole screw to the bottom of the string.

and yea, the SG pickup angle is funky, I have two one with bukcers, the other w/p90s.. same setup.

Using the bridge pickup as an example, it's pretty much impossible to get the bridge pickup at say 4/64" from the string when fretted at the last fret because the way the pickup is angled results in the string hitting the other side of the pickup in some cases.

I think somewhere I saw 4/64" recommended as a Gibson starting point for their pickups. Granted that was for the 498T hat used to be in there and now it's a SD Seth Lover. I've noticed with the Seth Lovers they are VERY sensible to pickup height changes. Too night and they get a bit wooly/muddy but if they're too low you really lose some low end. Nice sounding pickups but seem more finicky to pickup height than other pickups. Granted, I'm also mostly used to single coils so himbuckers are a bit new to me. It's been a bit since I had a guitar with humbuxkers.

• 3 months later...

So, what's the big deal here. If you can't get the pick up angled right, I'll tell you what to do. Remove the pick up, take out the springs (put them in your spare parts tin.)Find your self some silicon tubing with a little bit more inside diameter than the pickups mounting screws, cut said silicon tube at an angle on one end and carefully align said piece of silicon betwixt your pickup & pick up ring to cause said pick up to tilt the way you want. Note, you may need to enlarge the screw hole on the pickup ring by a **** hair to allow a little bit of play. Problem fixed. $50 please, I take MasterCard, Visa, Paypal, American Express, Diners Club, Amex, Gold, Cash is preferred, just kidding. Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

So, what's the big deal here. If you can't get the pick up angled right, I'll tell you what to do. Remove the pick up, take out the springs (put them in your spare parts tin.)Find your self some silicon tubing with a little bit more inside diameter than the pickups mounting screws, cut said silicon tube at an angle on one end and carefully align said piece of silicon betwixt your pickup & pick up ring to cause said pick up to tilt the way you want. Note, you may need to enlarge the screw hole on the pickup ring by a **** hair to allow a little bit of play. Problem fixed. $50 please, I take MasterCard, Visa, Paypal, American Express, Diners Club, Amex, Gold, Cash is preferred, just kidding. Have fun.

I'd have thought you'd work for beer... just sayin...

Archived