Gibson Brands Forums

Got an offer

Bluezboy

Ok so i was at a local church for some kinda shindig and they had rock band set up. Everybody was fightin over the drums and guitar but nobody wanted to sing so i figured what the hell and stepped up to the mic. Well two guys from a local band at my school were playing too and we were picking a bunch of songs that they happened to be doing and of course i sang them. Well just as i was about lo leave they came up to me and offered me a spot in their band as the new lead singer. I won't be playing guitar unfortunately but while my band is searching for a bass player i figured at the very least i'd be playing paying gigs so i took it and am now the lead singer for the hard rock band Icarus.

Just thought i'd share

Once they can't live without you then you tell them' date=' "Oh btw, I am playing guitar too".

[/quote']

Oh i can't wait. I've worked with one of the guitar players before and, to put it bluntly, he's a d!ck and almost got kicked outta that band once before. I told the guy that offered me the spot that if we finally do kick him out for good then i got his spot on guitar....

Here's to hoping

Congrats singing is so much harder than playing guitar in my opinion because you can't fix a tuning issue by turning a knob.

Don't start planning the whole bands future and who stays and who goes. Just worry about vocal technique. Having a good voice is rare, and you can lose it easily if you don't properly maintain it.

Congrats singing is so much harder than playing guitar in my opinion because you can't fix a tuning issue by turning a knob.

Don't start planning the whole bands future and who stays and who goes. Just worry about vocal technique. Having a good voice is rare' date=' and you can lose it easily if you don't properly maintain it.[/quote']

Thanks for the tip and don't worry I'm not planning on trying to take the band over or anything they told me that he was pushing his luck and so I simply mentioned that I could take his place if he gets kicked out for good.

Its a make or break situation for you as a singer.

Never allow anyone the opportunity to abuse your voice.

You dictate the key, you decide if you want to do the primal scream or not.

You can do a lot more as a vocalist in control of his voice than as an extra guitarist that no one notices.

You have the option to customize the set, you can do a song as an acoustic extra, a good number of ways to control your situation.

The other guy, its just a matter of time before he pisses off both the group and its audience, the problem basically takes care of itself.

Even if you discover that your voice has never been that challenged, never lose control over your voice.

Its a make or break situation for you as a singer.

Never allow anyone the opportunity to abuse your voice.

You dictate the key' date=' you decide if you want to do the primal scream or not.

You can do a lot more as a vocalist in control of his voice than as an extra guitarist that no one notices.

You have the option to customize the set, you can do a song as an acoustic extra, a good number of ways to control your situation.

The other guy, its just a matter of time before he pisses off both the group and its audience, the problem basically takes care of itself.

Even if you discover that your voice has never been that challenged, never lose control over your voice.[/quote']

Damn good advice. BTW, make sure you dont sing like axl rose. YOU WILL DIE (and suck balls).

Good job and congrats, Bluezboy. It's nice to be recognized in any situation. Does the band write original music? If so, that can be your way to contribute on guitar. Compose some tunes in your spare time or with the band and show what you're made of as a guitar player. I am a singer as well. rdclmn7 gave you some great advice regarding vocals (CONTROL). Have fun.

Good job and congrats' date=' Bluezboy. It's nice to be recognized in any situation. Does the band write original music? If so, that can be your way to contribute on guitar. Compose some tunes in your spare time or with the band and show what you're made of as a guitar player. I am a singer as well. rdclmn7 gave you some great advice regarding vocals (CONTROL). Have fun.[/quote']

Thanks and regarding your question, I asked one of the guys the same thing and he said they attempted it but it didn't end well so I guess that means that I should try but we'll see what happens

If you really want to play guitar, make sure you don't give that up. I suck at singing and playing at the same time and, back in the 80's, I would always end up being the freaking lead singer because good heavy metal singers were so hard to find. So, I hardly ever got to play guitar in the bands I was in.

When my brother put together our current band, I flat out refused to handle lead vocals. All I want to do is play guitar and add backing vocals where needed. So, now he's singing lead for the first time in his life and I'm doing what I want to do.

Archived