Gibson Brands Forums

Oasis Guitar Sleeve

drathbun

I cut down a pure 100% woollen sock a few years ago after a recommendation right here in this forum.

It makes your arm even hotter and sweatier than without!

And it is uncomfortable walking around with one sock. [mellow] [mellow] [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Or without one sock! 😰

I thought I'd get a range of responses, and I did.

I don't mind wiping down the guitar after playing and I probably won't be using this in the winter, but the sticky feeling of my forearm on a nitro guitar is just uncomfortable and unpleasant. It is NOT a problem on a poly or UV finish guitar.

For those that cut up tube socks, I can't find lycra tube socks that don't fray. This thing is comfortable and cheap. I like it.

BTW, the peeps at UMGF said you folks here would call me a "cork sniffer ". Huh??

I thought I'd get a range of responses, and I did.

I don't mind wiping down the guitar after playing and I probably won't be using this in the winter, but the sticky feeling of my forearm on a nitro guitar is just uncomfortable and unpleasant. It is NOT a problem on a poly or UV finish guitar.

For those that cut up tube socks, I can't find lycra tube socks that don't fray. This thing is comfortable and cheap. I like it.

BYW, the peeps at UMGF said you folks here would call me a "cork sniffer ". Huh??

hahahaha!!!

Don't worry drath,, some folk, right?

The soulstealin' looky-box captured this image of yours truly playing with an old arm sock on a j45 rosewood, lefty no less, all while wearing a kittykat tshirt...

Some people indeed!

Pass the cork

wWcCq78.jpg

The soulstealin' looky-box captured this image of yours truly playing with an old arm sock on a j45 rosewood, lefty no less, all while wearing a kittykat tshirt...

Some people indeed!

Pass the cork

wWcCq78.jpg

Isn't that just a tat cover? ;)

eventually the finish will be effected by the oils in the arm where it rests. But Jeff, if you don't care, great, it's your guitar. you don't have to care one bit. not a problem..

just my 2 cents, not trying to sound argumentative.

I do care! And, I have a 1972 Gibson SJD bought in 1974 on which the finish is fine despite playing it for +40 years and not wearing a special sleeve in my arm...but rather cleaning the guitar after each gig. And, three 1965 Gibsons bought 20 some years ago that also are fine by wiping them after a gig. And a 2006 J-45 bought new in 2008 that I must have used for at least 50 gigs last summer, not wearing a sleeve in the summer, but cleaning them with a mild polish wipe after each gig...and there is no damage to any of the finishes dating back over 40 years. So I am not worried about any "eventually" as it's already been proven to me that if I wipe the guitar clean after a gig all is good (and the finish will not end up effected). I wipe the guitars down afterwards because I do care, so I am not clear with your statement of I don't have to care. But, I too do not wish to be argumentive but rather feel we can agree to disagree on this one.😄

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I cut down a pure 100% woollen sock a few years ago after a recommendation right here in this forum.

It makes your arm even hotter and sweatier than without!

And it is uncomfortable walking around with one sock. [mellow] [mellow] [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Too funny!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

That's a really good idea. I like the sock idea too. I think that the stretchy plastic fabric would be too sweaty here where I live and a cotton sock might breath better. I usually don't mind honest wear, less so on a sunburst finish, but there's no way a scratched up guitar represents an improvement over the way the guitar came from the factory.

Thanks, I've been looking for this but didn't know what to look for. I don't mind cleaning up but the haze looks bad and I worry about making swirl marks from too much wiping. Also, it is only $9.99 on Amazon. Link below.

http://a.co/aJiCUdI

Thanks! Just snagged one. Welcome to the forum!

I recently decided to sell my Roy Smeck and wound up taking it to the shop to have the arm gunk buffed out as it would not come off completely with the usual methods. This solution will be much less expensive!

Archived