Gibson Brands Forums

3 Strikes Your Out, PRS Blows You Away Gibson

Bluesy69

I've seen threads like this one get locked down on the PRS forum, because they don't really want people crapping on other brands. To me, it's almost like the iPhone vs. Android debate. Once you get to a certain level, it comes down to preference.

To give my thoughts on this full context, I do own 5 Gibson guitars, all electric. Relevant to the electric guitar I also own a Fender Strat, a Taylor T5z, and two Ernie Ball Music Man guitars [JP6 Starry Night and St. Vincent].

I also own a PRS Custom 24 Artist Package guitar. As PRS goes, this one is THE best of the best.

https://wildwestguitars.com/electric/prs-paul-reed-smith-artist-package-custom-24-black-gold-wrap-around-w-flame-maple-neck

To be clear, I don't own a PRS like that one. This is THE precise PRS that I own. It cost more than my car.

In the order of things, I bought most of my guitars BEFORE this stellar PRS. However, I bought BOTH of my EBMM guitars AFTER the PRS, as well as as my Gibson Les Paul Standard Premium Quilt [just this weekend].

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Standard-Premium.aspx

The color of mine is "Ocean Water."

My thoughts on different brands of guitars:

I own all of the guitars that I own because I like how they play. I like how they look. I feel INSPIRED when I pick them up. I can get different sounds and performances out of these guitars.

With regard to companies, you can find something wrong with every company.

When I bought my PRS, I treated it like every other guitar. That is, I brought it home, let it set for about a half hour to acclimate, and then took it out of the case. I show respect for my guitars, because let's face it, they're really expensive.

My thoughts on threads like these is that they come from a highly immature place. Gibson, Fender, Ernie Ball, PRS, Taylor, and on down the line ALL stand or fall based on their own merit, and do not need to stand on the corpse of another brand in order to be superior. THIS one kicks *** and THAT one sucks is 5th grade recess banter.

It's simply unnecessary.

People have their biases. I quit a Virgil Donati forum because every single conversation was about how Virgil Donati kicks THIS drummer's ***, and THAT drummer's ***. It gets boring after a while. A thread about how Gibson stands upon the corpses of all others would be very boring, too. My preference is to talk about the features, to learn more about the guitars, to discuss any discovered "hacks" or flaws. Positive stories that might inspire investigation into a new release, or negative stories that help me look for what to potentially avoid. I'm in the Gibson forum to learn about Gibson and to talk about Gibson. I do the same in the PRS and Ernie Ball forums; talk about THEIR products and learn about them.

I like my PRS, and my Fender, and my EBMMs. I really do. But I also like my Gibsons. It's why I spent money on them. It's why I pick them up just about every day, and it's why all of my guitars are in a weekly rotation.

And I definitely do NOT have to crap on another brand in order to feel good about what I own.

All of my guitars hang on the wall. The PRS is surrounded by two acoustic guitars. One of them is a Breedlove Concert LTD, which was a limited release made of ALL Myrtlewood. It cost an arm and a leg. On the other side is a Fender acoustic that I picked up at Guitar Center for $130. I play it, too.

What all of my guitars have in common is that I like them.

So let me get this straight.....you chose....chose mind you....."Suckit" as your user name.....but you're calling people who don't like a brand of guitar "immature"?

I'm not even going to point out the irony.

So let me get this straight.....you chose....chose mind you....."Suckit" as your user name.....but you're calling people who don't like a brand of guitar "immature"?

Ha! same thought occurs to me...

all the same, he wrote a quite rational and well worded post..

Just-stop.jpg

I agree!

When will people just STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD!

Don't they realise that every time they add another post this thread goes back to the top of the page?

Some people just don't think things through fully! You'd never get me posting in this thread; that would be crazy!

I'd be interested to read what everyone else thinks on this matter.

Pip.

Ha! same thought occurs to me...

all the same, he wrote a quite rational and well worded post..

His name was Guitar Drummer from the start. He obviously overreacted to a post allegedly sent by a troll what definitely isn't the case. Refer to this topic, and note the name on his quote in post #13: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/138632-2016-les-paul-cm-black/ Anyway, he can change his forum name the next time not before a certain period has passed - 180 days I think but I'm not sure I remember correctly. You may also read his introduction: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/138619-new-member-and-guy-who-plays-guitar/

You can also just look up his 'Name History' on his profile page which tells you he changed his moniker at 2:44pm yesterday afternoon.

I think you might be correct in the time-period thing, Cap. When I changed mine for (as I thought!) one day for a bit of banter with rct I discovered I had to put up with my new pen-name for the next six months...

Damn! That means the post has gone to the top of the page again!!!

When will people STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD?!?!?!?

PIp.

Guest Farnsbarns

I did that when someone wound Rabs up by going with Rabs2.0.

I thought it would be funny to join in and went with RabsVista.

I think I asked someone nicely and they changed it back for me.

And yes. Stop posting in this thread. Idiots.

One of them is a Breedlove Concert LTD, which was a limited release made of ALL Myrtlewood. It cost an arm and a leg.

i thought about it. so, ok, the one missing leg thing is overcome by a chair. but the one arm missing thing, i dont see how you could be playing, unless you strum/pick with your remaining foot. or maybe only do tapping. then i thought about it some more. you don't say either way whether you paid with your own limbs.

[scared]

I did that when someone wound Rabs up by going with Rabs2.0.

I thought it would be funny to join in and went with RabsVista.

I think I asked someone nicely and they changed it back for me.

And yes. Stop posting in this thread. Idiots.

Which I seem to remember was the result of a few too many drinks that night...

Or at least that what I was told :-k

:D

Guest Farnsbarns

Which I seem to remember was the result of a few too many drinks that night...

Or at least that what I was told :-k

:D

Yes, I think that's true actually.

I've had new PRS's and I just purchased a brand new Les Paul Classic T Gold Top. The Gibson in every way is as good, if not better than the PRS. This guys is just an angry man who wants to rant.

It's 2017. I don't want a guitar built the way they were in 1954, with antiquated manufacturing and wood selection processes. That notion is ridiculous. But quality sourced components. Absolutely.

Both Gibson and PRS make amazing instruments. The one big difference to me is that all to often, people talk about how exotic and pretty the tops are on PRS's and just how beautiful they are. Truth be told, they do build a great guitar with amazing tops. And do you pay for that as a consumer. But so does Gibson! In nearly every way they are piers to PRS (but I'm sure they could learn a thing or two as well).

I don't know about you but tonight, I'm taking my brand new LPGT and going to my favorite blues bar and rocking the **** out of it. I don't care if it gets nicked, beer spilled on her, or if ages gracefully while I'm enjoying doing what I bought it for...playing out live! I often think too many PRS's spend their lives in a game rooms playing to sound tracks.

Just my opinion.

• 2 years later...
On 7/24/2017 at 11:25 AM, Bluesy69 said:

Good story and believe it or not I had a similar experience with a PRS custom 22 I owned a few years ago, I ordered it online because it was too costly for the store to inventory it, and the guitar arrived aesthetically perfect but it didn't feel great when I played it and it didn't have that fat woman tone of the 59 LP's that I love, so I eventually sold it and I was going to go back to Les Paul's, which eventually lead to this whole experience that I started the post with.

However in all your hours of playing PRS guitars I bet you didn't play a PRS McCarty 594, that is a completely different animal, and aside from the usual PRS perfect aesthetics, it feels and plays great with that vintage pattern neck and such low action you can only slide a piece of paper between the strings and fretboard.

Many have said "it's what the Les Paul should aspire to be" or" what it would be if the Les Paul evolved", and those are various reviewers words on YouTube not mine.

So to be clear I'm not comparing any other PRS to a Gibson Les Paul, just the McCarty 594, and having recently played both the Standard and Traditional LP's in the store I can say this " The Les Paul is not anywhere close to being in the same league as the McCarty 594".....it's just not, and unless guitar players here have played both like I have they can't offer an honest opinion.

Instead they'll just argue and dismiss it as the ramblings of a so called troll, because they have to justify having spent thousands of dollars on their Les Paul's and never wanting to admit that their is something better out there with better components and a better build quality, so for them to do that they resort to name calling or other false accusations about a person they never met.

All so they can glorify their choice of company and guitar instead of actually trying the McCarty 594, or even going on YouTube and trying to find a bad review about the 594...go ahead I challenge anyone of you go and look for a bad review, you won't find one, in fact you'll hear guitar players of all ages sing it's praises....watch the John Mayer on Periscope video, and listen to his praises of the guitar, or will you find some way to disrespect him now and say that his praises aren't genuine ? if you do that, then whose the Troll ?

We know the Les Paul has established itself as the worlds most famous and iconic guitar, so of course you can find thousands of videos on Gibson's behalf, but the PRS McCarty 594 is a new model and NO ONE has bashed this guitar, EVERYONE who plays one wants one....don't believe me go to YouTube and see for yourself.

I have not played a PRS 594 yet but I plan to--the other thing to keep in mind is I can buy a Wildwood Spec 50's Les Paul for about $2700 (before tax) and a PRS McCarty 594 with a 10 top that competes with the Wildwood is going to set me back $4300.

--even without going with the 10 top on the PRS I'm looking at $3800-not really a price-to price comparison to a very nice Les Paul

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2017 at 12:03 PM, MichaelT said:

All four of my Gibsons are awesome. Sorry you had a bad experience. Gibson states on their website: "AA-grade flamed maple top: Beautiful top with just the right amount of flame for an authentic vintage look"

I do find it odd that Gibson would send you 3 different guitars, each with the exact same flaw. Are you sure the store wasn't pulling a fast one and giving you the same guitar each time? Did you check the serial numbers for each?

For that kind of price, I'd have bought this: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Custom/Standard-Historic-1958-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

But, glad you're happy with your PRS. Sorry you had a bad run. Good luck.

Thats what I thought, That he was getting the same guitar back the whole time. Theres no way he can get 3 guitars with that same flaw. He oviously hates Gibson and just wanted to come here and brag? A long story for nothing. 

On 5/31/2020 at 4:20 PM, Larsongs said:

PRS Guitars look great but their Sound lacks Soul......

I suspect it seems that way because its a sound that hasn't been around as long.  

I have recorded with a PRS more often than any other electric because of its sound. 

• Haha 1

Yeah that 'flaw' in the binding is the maple top peeking and it shows om every LP.  Certain colours make it more visible, for instance my honey-backed Gold Top shows it more than my cherry backed LPs. 

As for PRS, lovely but soulless. They just leave me cold.

• Like 1