Gibson Brands Forums

3 Strikes Your Out, PRS Blows You Away Gibson

Bluesy69

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That guy who played at Woodstock can sure make em sound good. What's his name...Carlos something or other.

The guy who played at Woodstock has said he could have that sound on any Rig he plays..... 

On 7/22/2017 at 5:43 PM, Bluesy69 said:

That's it ...in the top pic....that's the flaw, and supposedly it's the standard look for all the Traditional models, but I don't like it....to me it looks like a messy binding job and it's not something I can live with for $2500......a $500 epiphone maybe but not a brand new expensive Gibson, I just can't do it.

My 2020 LP Standard 50s Gold Top has the same 'flaw'.

Edited by sunking101

• 3 weeks later...

I have owned many a Gibson, and they were/are all stellar instruments. However, I understand that if someone buys their 1st Gibson and its defective, it is not going to inspire brand loyalty.

But I just bought what I consider the Guitar that all other Guitars wish they were: 2019 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul CUSTOM VOS 'Black-Beauty'. It was less than the OP's $4,200 PRS and I will bet it is superior in every way. This new Les Paul CUSTOM I just got is perfect in every way. From the Binding, Ebony Fret-Board,Mother-of-Pearl Head-Stock & Fret-Board In-Lays, which are perfectly level w/Head-Stock & FB, Custom-Bucker P-up's, (OMG, THEY ROAR and this Les Paul was/is 'EXCLUSIVE' to the retailer and is the only 2019 LP Custom, that is not a re-issue, that has the Custom-Bucker P-Up's. All others have the 490R & 498T.....POS), Grover T.M's, Corian Nut to the Electronics and the Paints finish..... my new Guitar is Perfect. I am, OMG, seriously impressed. The Medium 'C' Chunky Neck is Solid as a rock. I checked the relief on the neck when it arrived and it was perfectly dead-straight. I opened the relief almost a Half-Turn to .011" and then tightened it a li'l less than 1/4 turn and it measured .008" @ 8TH fret.....3 weeks later it is in the exact same spot.The neck relief has not budged. My experience tells me this is a Rock solid instrument as every other new Gibson I've purchased had a wondering relief (nothing huge but a few thousandths of an inch every few weeks) for the 1st 12-24 months after the purchase until the neck 'settled'. This is not the case w/my new Les Paul CUSTOM: 'REX'. 'REX' is, OMG, solid as a Rock.

The new Les Paul CUSTOM VOS 'Black-Beauty' I just bought, 'REX', I will put up against any PRS out there or any other Guitar for that matter......it is just a Fabulous piece of Gibson history and it is W.A.D. the finest Guitar I have ever played/owned/touched.

This Guitar is the culmination of my career playing music. I did not get as famous or as rich as I would have liked BUT I did OK......and every GIBSON I ever owned was a stellar instrument and this new Les Paul CUSTOM VOS I just bought blows every one of the others away, even my ES-335 Traditional w/MHS Pick-Up's doesn't quite stand up to 'REX' and, believe it, my ES-335 Trad. is a BAD A$$ Guitar ......My new Lester w/Italian Leather strap and Schaller Gold Strap locks cost me less than $4K..........so beat that PRS !

• 1 year later...
On 7/24/2017 at 2:01 PM, Guest Farnsbarns said:

Shall we look at this hallowed thing then, this McCarty 594 thing. What does it have...

A truss rod. Idea stolen from Gibson

Humbuckers. Idea stolen from Gibson.

Tune-o-matic. Idea stolen from Gibson.

Mahogany and maple laminated body. Idea stolen from Gibson.

Cap and back seem visible in cuttaway. Idea stolen from Gibson.

Yes, I see what people mean. Gibson should take a page from PRS's book. No wait, PRS's book is Gibson's book, they took all the pages.

[lol]

Tell us macblues, if you set up your second account because you forgot the password for the first account why have you been logging in to your first account long after you created the second?

Don't pretend you don't see the question. I think this needs answering.

[sneaky]

Really, that's it? This is your comparative analysis of a PRS 594.  It's a sad statement of how little you truly know about makes a guitars a great guitar. Wait, don't they all have 6 strings? Who installed 6 strings first? They say ignorance is bliss, but frankly it definitely been proven that, "you can't fix stupid"....

23 minutes ago, rock-legend_ar said:

Really, that's it? This is your comparative analysis of a PRS 594.  It's a sad statement of how little you truly know about makes a guitars a great guitar. Wait, don't they all have 6 strings? Who installed 6 strings first? They say ignorance is bliss, but frankly it definitely been proven that, "you can't fix stupid"....

You do realise the post you quoted was from 2017??  I wouldnt expect any answer from him.