Gibson Brands Forums

3 Strikes Your Out, PRS Blows You Away Gibson

Bluesy69

You know; we really do have to hand it to old Macmutt, here.

He might bear a striking resemblance to that little piece of stuff which you scrape off your shoe, politely, before entering a cowfield but he does give us insights in to the mind of The Village Idiot without the discomfort of our having to leave home.

Pip.

LOL well I here by take my bows, having provided you all with 5 pages of entertainment.....and quite honestly I couldn't remember my Macmutt password so I just created a new account, wasn't trying to hide or deceive anyone.

So I hope you guy's enjoyed this little rant, and for the record I don't have anything against Gibson guitars or Gibson guitar owners, to each his own,I just haven't had the best luck with them, so I'll leave you guy's to draw your own conclusions about me, whether they be insulting or even complimentary....which I doubt.

Anyway, it's been fun, even if it's non stop arguing or disagreeing back and forth I love talking guitars no matter what.....ENJOY... your chatting and I'll check back soon.

Guest Farnsbarns

Was it easier to create a new account, requiring a new email address, than it was to click "forgot password"?

Macmutt was last active on June the 8th. Bluesy69 joined on Feb the 22nd.

Do you have to work on convincing yourself with this stuff or are you sociopath who can do it instantly?

Please let there be more.

So, after all this entertainment, does anyone have a picture of this finish or binding issue this guy is talking about? I'd like to see it on my Les Paul. Or is this "defect" only on Traditional or Historic ones? I wouldn't have wanted to buy an expensive guitar with an obvious defect or flaw. I get that but trolling at least two boards apparently numerous times under various names is a bit silly and either stupid, immature or trolling.

Later today we are going to Guitar Center and I'm going to check out a PRS and see what I think.

So help me, if there's just one flaw... :D

Guest Farnsbarns

So, after all this entertainment, does anyone have a picture of this finish or binding issue this guy is talking about? I'd like to see it on my Les Paul. Or is this "defect" only on Traditional or Historic ones? I wouldn't have wanted to buy an expensive guitar with an obvious defect or flaw. I get that but trolling at least two boards apparently numerous times under various names is a bit silly and either stupid, immature or trolling.

Later today we are going to Guitar Center and I'm going to check out a PRS and see what I think.

So help me, if there's just one flaw... :D

download.jpg?raw=1

Vs

download%20%281%29.jpg?raw=1

I love the look of the PRS Mira. Never played one (so far).

guitar player in my sons band (Uslights, on spoitfy, look em up!) has one. nice axe, it's feather light too.

Yes I tried. Had to log in using FaceBook. Reached Us Lights, but couldn't hear any music no matter how I used the controls.

download.jpg?raw=1

Vs

download%20%281%29.jpg?raw=1

My Norlin era (76 LP Deluxe, and '80 LP Custom) Les Paul's, as well as my 2000 Classic LP have that wider binding in the cutaway!

The spec'd wider cutaway binding started in the late '60's ('68-69) Doesn't bother me, a bit!

Nor does the narrower, of the current, and CS models. The narrower binding, showing part of the top

material is the way LP's were bound originally. So, it's not a "mistake" or "flaw," in either case!

Just a different spec. :rolleyes:[tongue]

CB

1500712641[/url]' post='1870241']

Was it easier to create a new account, requiring a new email address, than it was to click "forgot password"?

Macmutt was last active on June the 8th. Bluesy69 joined on Feb the 22nd.

Do you have to work on convincing yourself with this stuff or are you sociopath who can do it instantly?

Please let there be more.

Honestly didn't think to do that, it would've been much easier, oh no matter everyone here knows who I am regardless.

1500730626[/url]' post='1870289']

My Norlin era (76 LP Deluxe, and '80 LP Custom) Les Paul's, as well as my 2000 Classic LP have that wider binding in the cutaway!

The spec'd wider cutaway binding started in the late '60's ('68-69) Doesn't bother me, a bit!

Nor does the narrower, of the current, and CS models. The narrower binding, showing part of the top

material is they way LP's were bound originally. So, it's not a "mistake" or "flaw," in either case!

Just a different spec. :rolleyes:[tongue]

CB

That's it ...in the top pic....that's the flaw, and supposedly it's the standard look for all the Traditional models, but I don't like it....to me it looks like a messy binding job and it's not something I can live with for $2500......a $500 epiphone maybe but not a brand new expensive Gibson, I just can't do it.

Guest Farnsbarns

Honestly didn't think to do that, it would've been much easier, oh no matter everyone here knows who I am regardless.

No, come on, spin us a yarn to explain why macmutt has logged in since bluesy 69 joined. I love your yarns.

That's it ...in the top pic....that's the flaw, and supposedly it's the standard look for all the Traditional models, but I don't like it....to me it looks like a messy binding job and it's not something I can live with for $2500......a $500 epiphone maybe but not a brand new expensive Gibson, I just can't do it.

This is what kills me. You come in here claiming to know more about guitars than me, which you don't, and you didn't know that about the lower bout binding on Les Pauls?

rct

• Upvote 1

1500753872[/url]' post='1870373']

This is what kills me. You come in here claiming to know more about guitars than me, which you don't, and you didn't know that about the lower bout binding on Les Pauls?

rct

I knew they did it for the historical and custom shop models, I just didn't know they did it on the Traditional models.

By the way I never got an answer to my question from all of the so called more knowledable than me Professors of guitar in here.

If weight relieving is so revolutionary and sustain improving, why is Gibson the only one doing it ?

You mean to tell me that Leo Fender and Paul Reed Smith, don't know what their doing with sustain by still making solid body guitars without weight relieving ?I seriously doubt it.

"I" don't claim, in any way, to know all there is about guitar building, or even Les Paul's. But, from what I've

read, one reason for weight relief, was complaints from the buying public, on Les Paul weight. Another reason, was

that the newer wood, is denser, than the wood they used in the '50's, and '60's, so they have used some weight relief,

in order to more closely resemble, the original's. I understand, too, that the Custom Shop uses a much lighter weight

Mahogany, as often as possible, in one-piece bodies, whereas Gibson USA, uses more of the heavier wood, in 2 (or more)

piece bodies, and utilize the weight relief, for comfort, and (they claim) more resonance, as well. It's a lot more work,

and time consuming, for them to do that, so I don't see why they'd make false claims.

I (personally) think Gibson does an excellent job, MOST of the time, in turning out products, in ALL price ranges, for

people of every financial means. Those who can (and will), have nothing but Custom Shop version, have those. The rest

of us, can either save for a long time, and get a CS model, or find perfectly great Gibson USA models, that will do an

equally fine job of making music! It's mostly in the fingers, and "heart," anyway. But, whatever works, and/or floats

your boat! It's all good!

I think, sometimes our criticism of Gibson's QC is warranted! But, a lot of the time, it's unrealistic expectations, and

just "whining!" If any product, guitar or not, is not up to snuff, it's simply your own responsibility NOT to buy it!

And, with some exception(s), one reason I rarely buy guitars "on line!" Especially expensive versions! [tongue][rolleyes]

But, that's just Me!

IMHO, as always.

CB

• Upvote 1

Guest Farnsbarns

I knew they did it for the historical and custom shop models, I just didn't know they did it on the Traditional models.

it was almost as if someone came up behind the person that was applying the binding and bumped their arm, because there was like a semi circle reveal that clearly showed the paint seam, where on the rest of the guitar the seam was covered.

This to me looked like a major flaw so I brought it back to the store and even another customer that was leaning over checking out the guitar while I was pointing out these defects to the sales guy commented " that she was surprised that they let it leave the factory like this"....the sales guy repeated that also when he saw it.

Stop it, you're killing me. [lol]

• Upvote 1

1500757944[/url]' post='1870389']

http://www.gibson.co...x#disqus_thread

A recent article, from "the horse's mouth,' so to speak!

CB

I'm sure there's that and a 100 more articles with Gibson explaining the so called benefits of weight relief. They have to, since it's pretty much in half the guitars they build, however I love these guys that come in here and say that it's more trouble for Gibson to eliminate the extra wood in the weight relieved bodies.

Umm no it's not, it's all done on their CNC machines, the weight relieved bodies might have to stay in the CNC for an extra 60 seconds. Plus we now need to address why Gibson is the only guitar maker constantly using Richlite composite crap in their fingerboards ? when Fender, PRS, Rickenbacker, and all the Asian guitar makers are still using rosewood on all their models .

It 's not to spare the environment, because it was already reported that due to the hurricanes and tsunamis in Southeast Asia like Indonesia, the trees that were knocked down during these storms for the past 60 years have been stock piled and auctioned off to various guitar manufacturers.

So again why the Richlite crap ? Gibson even made a limited edition 2016 SG Supreme with the Diablo carve and it had the mahogany and maple body, Burstbuckers and was over $2000, and yet Gibson puts Richlite on that $2000 limited edition guitar and not only effects the quality but just ruins an otherwise beautiful guitar.

This is probably the biggest money making guitar company in the world but yet they are the one's cheaping out the most with their parts......plastic jack plates, acrylic nuts and inlays, Richlite fingerboards, and yes less wood in each Les Paul.....WHY ??? This is a billion dollar company, why the heck are they being so cheap ?

...You mean to tell me that Leo Fender and Paul Reed Smith, don't know what their doing with sustain by still making solid body guitars without weight relieving?...

You have obviously never compared the under-'guard cavities of an old Strat with a newer regular example.

...these guys that come in here and say that it's more trouble for Gibson to eliminate the extra wood in the weight relieved bodies.

Umm no it's not, it's all done on their CNC machines, the weight relieved bodies might have to stay in the CNC for an extra 60 seconds...

If it takes an extra 60 seconds longer to eliminate the extra wood then, by definition, it adds time - and therefore cost - to the production process. Surely even you can understand the basics of manufacturing costs?

...we now need to address why Gibson is the only guitar maker constantly using Richlite composite crap in their fingerboards?...

They aren't.

Washburn. Ever heard of them?

Parker. Ever heard of them?

Steinberger. Ever heard of them?

Hagstrom. Ever heard of them?

Oh, and C.F. Martin & Co. Ever heard of them?

All of the above use some form/brand of phenolic resin as a fingerboard material.

...(Gibson) are the one's cheaping out the most with their parts......plastic jack plates, acrylic nuts and inlays.....WHY ???...why the heck are they being so cheap ?...

When the Les Paul was introduced in 1952 it had a plastic jack-plate, a plastic nut and man-made / acrylic inlays. It's the same today because this is how they should be made.

...I've forgotten more about guitar building, playing and manufacturing then you'll ever know...

Clearly.

Pip.

They aren't.

Washburn. Ever heard of them?

Parker. Ever heard of them?

Steinberger. Ever heard of them?

Hagstrom. Ever heard of them?

Oh, and C.F. Martin & Co. Ever heard of them?

All of the above use some form/brand of phenolic resin as a fingerboard material.

Pip.

And more's the pity. At least IMHO.

But choice is choice and I would never buy one. Why? Pure prejudice.

I've only just seen this thread. I've not read it all, but the original post made me think that it was the maple top showing. I've jumped to the last page and yes it is. It's not a fault and the shop should have known that (Minimum wage staff again?).

The OP clearly doesn't know Les Pauls and doesn't want to know them.

https://worldguitars.co.uk/shop/prs-guitars-mccarty-594-mccarty-sunburst-with-solid-rosewood-neck-239600/

This is the PRS McCarty. Look at the cutaway. Same as the Gibson, but no moulding. Look how the cap is wider in the cutaway.

My conclusion. Troll, Gibson hater.

...choice is choice and I would never buy one. Why? Pure prejudice.

I have a few(!) prejudices myself, Pin, but the only issue I have against Richlite is that it shouldn't be used for the L.P. Custom. Why? Tradition. No more than that.

As a fretboard material I actually like it. I've tried out a few phenolic resin 'boards from some of the manufacturers mentioned in the earlier post and loved them TBH.

But I understand the reluctance of others who would prefer wood at all costs.

...I've only just seen this thread. I've not read it all......My conclusion. Troll, Gibson hater...

Well done, Larry; a Tick and a Star!

You saved yourself the tedium of wading through 100 posts of (pretty much) utter nonsense and yet still managed to arrive at the correct conclusion!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Yes I tried. Had to log in using FaceBook. Reached Us Lights, but couldn't hear any music no matter how I used the controls.

Hi ME, their album Waes is there on sporitfy, I have it in my library., usLights is one word btw.. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

On iTunes too..

does this bandcamp link work for you: https://uslights.bandcamp.com/album/god-save-the-queen-teen-angst

Guest Farnsbarns

Bluesymutt is back! Still not able to explain why he logged in as macmutt months after he created his bluesy69 account when he claims he'd forgotten his password and found it easier to sign up again with a new email that to click forgot password.

Hey, bluemutt. How about the seam in the maple cap being visible on the PRS guitars. Any comment on that.

Please let's have some more ridiculous nonsense. It's so enjoyable to read. I love how you ignore a particular point for a few days until it dawn's on you how you're going to lie to fit your previous lies. You should have your own show.