Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bluesy69

3 Strikes Your Out, PRS Blows You Away Gibson

I've seen threads like this one get locked down on the PRS forum, because they don't really want people crapping on other brands. To me, it's almost like the iPhone vs. Android debate. Once you get to a certain level, it comes down to preference.

To give my thoughts on this full context, I do own 5 Gibson guitars, all electric. Relevant to the electric guitar I also own a Fender Strat, a Taylor T5z, and two Ernie Ball Music Man guitars [JP6 Starry Night and St. Vincent].

I also own a PRS Custom 24 Artist Package guitar. As PRS goes, this one is THE best of the best.

https://wildwestguitars.com/electric/prs-paul-reed-smith-artist-package-custom-24-black-gold-wrap-around-w-flame-maple-neck

To be clear, I don't own a PRS like that one. This is THE precise PRS that I own. It cost more than my car.

In the order of things, I bought most of my guitars BEFORE this stellar PRS. However, I bought BOTH of my EBMM guitars AFTER the PRS, as well as as my Gibson Les Paul Standard Premium Quilt [just this weekend].

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Standard-Premium.aspx

The color of mine is "Ocean Water."

My thoughts on different brands of guitars:

I own all of the guitars that I own because I like how they play. I like how they look. I feel INSPIRED when I pick them up. I can get different sounds and performances out of these guitars.

With regard to companies, you can find something wrong with every company.

When I bought my PRS, I treated it like every other guitar. That is, I brought it home, let it set for about a half hour to acclimate, and then took it out of the case. I show respect for my guitars, because let's face it, they're really expensive.

My thoughts on threads like these is that they come from a highly immature place. Gibson, Fender, Ernie Ball, PRS, Taylor, and on down the line ALL stand or fall based on their own merit, and do not need to stand on the corpse of another brand in order to be superior. THIS one kicks *** and THAT one sucks is 5th grade recess banter.

It's simply unnecessary.

People have their biases. I quit a Virgil Donati forum because every single conversation was about how Virgil Donati kicks THIS drummer's ***, and THAT drummer's ***. It gets boring after a while. A thread about how Gibson stands upon the corpses of all others would be very boring, too. My preference is to talk about the features, to learn more about the guitars, to discuss any discovered "hacks" or flaws. Positive stories that might inspire investigation into a new release, or negative stories that help me look for what to potentially avoid. I'm in the Gibson forum to learn about Gibson and to talk about Gibson. I do the same in the PRS and Ernie Ball forums; talk about THEIR products and learn about them.

I like my PRS, and my Fender, and my EBMMs. I really do. But I also like my Gibsons. It's why I spent money on them. It's why I pick them up just about every day, and it's why all of my guitars are in a weekly rotation.

And I definitely do NOT have to crap on another brand in order to feel good about what I own.

All of my guitars hang on the wall. The PRS is surrounded by two acoustic guitars. One of them is a Breedlove Concert LTD, which was a limited release made of ALL Myrtlewood. It cost an arm and a leg. On the other side is a Fender acoustic that I picked up at Guitar Center for $130. I play it, too.

What all of my guitars have in common is that I like them.

So let me get this straight.....you chose....chose mind you....."Suckit" as your user name.....but you're calling people who don't like a brand of guitar "immature"?

I'm not even going to point out the irony.

So let me get this straight.....you chose....chose mind you....."Suckit" as your user name.....but you're calling people who don't like a brand of guitar "immature"?

Ha! same thought occurs to me...

all the same, he wrote a quite rational and well worded post..

Just-stop.jpg

I agree!

When will people just STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD!

Don't they realise that every time they add another post this thread goes back to the top of the page?

Some people just don't think things through fully! You'd never get me posting in this thread; that would be crazy!

I'd be interested to read what everyone else thinks on this matter.

Pip.

Ha! same thought occurs to me...

all the same, he wrote a quite rational and well worded post..

His name was Guitar Drummer from the start. He obviously overreacted to a post allegedly sent by a troll what definitely isn't the case. Refer to this topic, and note the name on his quote in post #13: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/138632-2016-les-paul-cm-black/ Anyway, he can change his forum name the next time not before a certain period has passed - 180 days I think but I'm not sure I remember correctly. You may also read his introduction: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/138619-new-member-and-guy-who-plays-guitar/

You can also just look up his 'Name History' on his profile page which tells you he changed his moniker at 2:44pm yesterday afternoon.

I think you might be correct in the time-period thing, Cap. When I changed mine for (as I thought!) one day for a bit of banter with rct I discovered I had to put up with my new pen-name for the next six months...

Damn! That means the post has gone to the top of the page again!!!

When will people STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD?!?!?!?

PIp.

Guest Farnsbarns

I did that when someone wound Rabs up by going with Rabs2.0.

I thought it would be funny to join in and went with RabsVista.

I think I asked someone nicely and they changed it back for me.

And yes. Stop posting in this thread. Idiots.

I don't know what's up with people continuing to post in this thread. I, for one, wouldn't!

One of them is a Breedlove Concert LTD, which was a limited release made of ALL Myrtlewood. It cost an arm and a leg.

i thought about it. so, ok, the one missing leg thing is overcome by a chair. but the one arm missing thing, i dont see how you could be playing, unless you strum/pick with your remaining foot. or maybe only do tapping. then i thought about it some more. you don't say either way whether you paid with your own limbs.

[scared]

I did that when someone wound Rabs up by going with Rabs2.0.

I thought it would be funny to join in and went with RabsVista.

I think I asked someone nicely and they changed it back for me.

And yes. Stop posting in this thread. Idiots.

Which I seem to remember was the result of a few too many drinks that night...

Or at least that what I was told :-k

:D

Guest Farnsbarns

Which I seem to remember was the result of a few too many drinks that night...

Or at least that what I was told :-k

:D

Yes, I think that's true actually.

I've had new PRS's and I just purchased a brand new Les Paul Classic T Gold Top. The Gibson in every way is as good, if not better than the PRS. This guys is just an angry man who wants to rant.

It's 2017. I don't want a guitar built the way they were in 1954, with antiquated manufacturing and wood selection processes. That notion is ridiculous. But quality sourced components. Absolutely.

Both Gibson and PRS make amazing instruments. The one big difference to me is that all to often, people talk about how exotic and pretty the tops are on PRS's and just how beautiful they are. Truth be told, they do build a great guitar with amazing tops. And do you pay for that as a consumer. But so does Gibson! In nearly every way they are piers to PRS (but I'm sure they could learn a thing or two as well).

I don't know about you but tonight, I'm taking my brand new LPGT and going to my favorite blues bar and rocking the **** out of it. I don't care if it gets nicked, beer spilled on her, or if ages gracefully while I'm enjoying doing what I bought it for...playing out live! I often think too many PRS's spend their lives in a game rooms playing to sound tracks.

Just my opinion.