Gibson Brands Forums

GUITAR COLLECTING

OldCowboy

We guitar folks have a way of accumulating lots of instruments. Granted, there are exceptions, but most of us appear to enjoy multiple choices. I've come to the conclusion that my main motive is pretty simple: if they make me happy, they stay. If not, they go. Wondering how others on the forum rationalize their multi-guitar addictions....

I'm with you cowboy

I have about 16 PLAYERS at the moment. 4 of them are acoustics.

There are a few more that found their way to my possession but don't get played, which make 20..

I've considered selling a few off, but when I take em out for a spin, I remember what it was about "that" one that drew me to the hunt.

For me, it's a matter of what I play with each guitar. We're at 7 guitars in the household now. I'll add a nice acoustic guitar, since my only other acoustic guitar is a classical guitar. I'll buy others as I find them, if I like the way they play and sound. Although I'm not playing professionally much any more, other than the occasional sit-in with some friends, I'd like to play some again.

Now it's not as much of a need as a want and at almost 52 years old, I have more disposable income than I did in my 20's and 30's. This question could be asked of anyone who collects anything. Coins, stamps, cars, motorcycles, shoes, books or whatever. I got all mine out on Saturday and played each for a half hour or so, cleaned them and each one has something special I like about them. With some, it's the feel. With others it's the sound. For some, it's just the look. I wouldn't trade any of them for any other guitar.

I'd like to have a good Strat and Tele and a good acoustic guitar. I've owned probably 20 guitars over the years and some were keepers and some were flings. The ones I have now are played on rotation. I hadn't picked up my '81 V in a while after buying my Les Pauls this year and it totally rocks them both as far as play or feel. It's probably because I'm so used to it after so long but wow, it's an awesome guitar.

I own a couple of vintage guitars, as well as quite a few new ones, acoustics and electrics. As far as my "need" to make music in relation to my capabilities, one acoustic and one electric would be enough. I own the others because they give me perhaps more pleasure than any other matetial objects I can think of. Also I can afford them without being irresponsible to the ones I love around me. I play all of them, and some I like better than others, but I find them all special. So I guess I'm sort of in between a collector and a player...a real musician, I'm not... [biggrin]

Lars

To me it's pretty simple.

Why have one when I can have many?

But if you want the honest truth my guitar collecting stems from being left handed I one day realized that I was never going to have as many options as righties until I started to try and get custom orders .

A righty could always trade in his one guitar for something else (righty abundance) so my thing is I have got to the point where I became a collector because of the limitions in availability for lefties.

Examples: I started with a maple J 200... If I ever wanted to trade it in at a shop for a rosewood 200 it's not like they are going to have one ready just for me ...So I ordered one back when the Montana custom shop was very flexible.I have different woods and body sizes.

What if one day I had a craving for a 3/4 sized Quilted Maple J 200?

I wasn't gonna wait around until I had the craving ...I found one already built and purchased it.

JC

I collect guitars and have 39 instruments in my collection last time I counted. Circa 1990 I started buying guitars that I had always wanted as a kid, but couldn't afford them. Then collecting turned into a hobby to complement my guitar playing. (I have played since I was 9 in 1962.). I saw some people collecting civil war nostalgia, some collecting Corvettes...and guitars seemed right up my league. My wife, meanwhile started collecting jewelry...and the deal became whevever I bought a guitar I would also buy her jewelry for her collection. Naturally, I had to double pay with this, but she loved me collecting my guitars. Then, it morphed into my finding that exploring playing different guitars triggered new advances in my guitars as I found each guitar had something different to find in them. Plus, similarly, it triggered me writing different pieces of music or songs. And, it nullified when I would get bored a bit after playing so long. New guitars had new music in 'em to continue to explore. Still does.

That's my story.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

A gathering of art, , , , sculptures you can actually work on yourself, , PLAY !

A collection of sounds

A sonic library

A park of Bentleys

A herd of friends

A life long quest for that certain wood'n'steel expression

, , , , many ways to describe what's goin' on.

I have a variety of flavors, but they definitely do not stick in every direction.

A lot of acoustic identities that just don't do it for me. In all respect I jump them over.

It's like my guitars point in more or less the same direction.

They know each other and make sense that way.

Like connected in a chain.

The chain makes a ring and that ring is an isle.

The Acoustic Pirate reached the blessed place, went ashore a turned into the Acoustic Monk.

Knows the treasure is here somewhere, , , might not have discovered it, , , , yet. . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . But he found the island

I'm not a collector. I do have a few, and like playing them. They switch... most of them. I have slowed down a lot. I don't have any desire for a Vintage birth year anything. I do have a feeling I may buy another J45 at some point. And maybe a Bird again. Lunacy but so be it.

I do have a D18 coming in October, and I may sell my HD28 to make room for it, or not.

Ain't it fun?

"rationalize" To even utter the word suggests an uneasiness of mind, no?

Fwiw, I think there si a difference between collecting (what TBIII) does, and acquiring. Re the latter, there's room for different tones. Let your music be your guide.

Fwiw, I think there si a difference between collecting (what TBIII) does, and acquiring. Re the latter, there's room for different tones. Let your music be your guide.

Plus 1 ^

I'd vote for tbiii's herd anytime. Lots of soul there, , , and obviously more acoustics.

Nothing wrong w. the collection in the video, but the way they treat it is making it vulgar.

Then again, a comedian will laugh everything inside out won't he. .

I didn't start off collecting but rather looking for that perfect acoustic for me. Never found it, but I found them.

I'm in the process of putting the majority of them ( 40+ guitars, slew of mandolins, ukes and amps) in storage for a while to make room for my Daughter and family while their new home is being built. Here's what I'm keeping at home. Three guitars, one mandolin and one uke.

L5P, J45, D41S, F5L, 5K

I'm not a collector, just a working musician who is fortunate enough to have a broad-ish pallette of guitars to call upon. I have a strict rotation policy, if a guitar isn't earning its keep it gets moved on in favour of another one. I'm doing less electric work now so kept my Tele and let my Jazzmaster and my spare Marshall go against my '90 Hummingbird, which fills a really nice niche in my collection.

Generally my two Super Jumbos are my live workhorses, my Dove is for studio and writing work, my '67 J45 for studio and theatre/arts centre gigs, my Texan for flyaway gigs, my EL-00 for recording and more bluesy gigs and so on.

I have a VERY choice 12er waiting in the wings for when I have the funds, and I also forsee a Maple parlour such as a Nick Lucas in my future too, then I'll be just about done.

Said no guitarist ever 😂

Musical instruments are designed to look desirable....and when their sound quality connects with an individual on an emotional level they can be difficult to resist....:blink:

Even to the extent of spending over budget....

This applies across the whole spectrum of trade tools.....[biggrin]

I have an ongoing banter with a band member.....a notional budget of say £2000 can be 'blown' on one high end instrument.....[thumbup]

Or....by careful research.....spent on several good looking, well finished, good sounding instruments in the £300 to £500 bracket....

Which from personal experience can provide robust work horses with varying woods, finishes, neck profiles, body sizes, tunings etc...

V

:-({|=

I'm no collector. Like Jinder, I WAS simply a gigger, working musician with my tools.

However, after pretty much retiring from gigging after I quit drinking I simply CAN'T let go of the electrics. I'm rarely ever play them as my interest is ONLY for acoustic music and has been for many years, but I have a weakness that is keeping me from letting go.

I will SOMEDAY liquidate some of the "wall" and also the Boogie and the Prosonic to upgrade my p.a. gear and get a few backup acoustic guitars because I plan to gig more after I retire, the day job and property simply leaves no time and energy.

But, MAN, this is a hard thing for me to do. I think it's the "survivalist" in me who knows, no matter what happens to the economy, I could always gig a little to help make ends meet, as I've done it my entire life. Plus, the fact that I only kept the "keepers".

Someday......

Hi all,

For us (wife and I), this is a pretty broad topic. The fact that it is "wife and I" is a major part of it. Now retired, we have developed a lifestyle around activities that were just hobbies in our working days. These were stress relieve activities -- a way to get away from the continuing pressure of career and working life.

The whole topic for us is quite complex -- I actually wrote about some years ago as part of a discussion on this forum. I later put it in a blog. Here is that post.

I did a lot of stuff in my life that was satisfying but not "fun." I guess the height of fun for me -- like Willi Nelson I guess -- is making music with my friends. And having a lot of friends to do it with. We are not performers -- we are jammers who sometimes jam on stage. Never the same -- every time different. Every time an excuse to play with friends. I just LOVE to do that in a direct visceral way. I love a great jam with great musicians, a good jam with modest musicians, a fair jam with fair musicians -- I even love jams where the pieces don't fit and I love playing with novices. I also love it with a audience, but it is ok if the only audience are the players. It is like the music is a painting and the old guitars -- along with the songs we know, our vocal/harmony skills, our playing skills (such as they are) and all the skills of the other players are the pallet. It is like doing a high wire act without a net. Like Dale Earnhardt SR said -- sometimes you win, sometimes you, lose, sometimes you wreak. But it is the joy of my life.

Let's pick,

-Tom

I bought guitars because I played guitar. Back in in the day I played with two bands and gave private and group lessons for a small art center.

But I am not nor have ever been a collector. I am, however, an accumulator. There is no rhyme or reason for the guitars I choose to keep me company. As well as Gibsons, I own Regals, Kay Krafts, Supertones/Harmonys, Oscar Schmidts, and Epiphones. But I am one lucky SOB as I have scored a few which rarely show up the marketplace on the cheap such as a 1930s Regal jumbo 12 and an Oscar Schmidt-made Galiano jumbo (basically a Sovereign). Funny thing is when it comes to pre-War Gibsons, I owned L-1s and L-00s in the 1960s and 1970s but mainly because they were just considered used guitars and cost less than new guitars. No different with electrics as I played a 1958 strings through body Fender Telecaster and a 1960 Esquire.

I get bored easy, and I love getting something new.

And once I bite, I then get excited reading about other guitars...that I just have to have.

As long as I am playing, eventually I am thinking about what else might be cool to have.

I have controlled it lately, and been more $$ sensible.

Definitely need a few at any time just for comparisons and variety.

several good looking, well finished, good sounding instruments in the £300 to £500 bracket....

I agree entirely-my Epi IB'64 Texan is one of my favourites of all of the guitars I've owned over the years. I bought it for £200 (previously owned but unplayed) and have had so much pleasure from it as a songwriting guitar and for overseas gigs that I owe it far more than it owes me.

I'm a firm believer that whilst top end guitars are beautiful to own, play and behold, there is plenty of joy to be had under £500.

I agree entirely-my Epi IB'64 Texan is one of my favourites of all of the guitars I've owned over the years. I bought it for £200 (previously owned but unplayed) and have had so much pleasure from it as a songwriting guitar and for overseas gigs that I owe it far more than it owes me.

My herd too contains an Insp. by 1964 Texan and I am impressed every time you praise yours. Admit mine can't reach those levels at all.

It's a good guitar for the tag and I would recommend it, still it just doesn't touch even the shadow of the lower bout of the G's or M's.

But a forest-guitar, , , sure.

Btw. carved it new wider spaced buffalo-black-horn-nut and sanded it down. Far too glossy from the plant - had to wear shades to play it before cool.gif

With a very meager budget, I began buying old guitars at flea markets in the '70s, in order to work my way up to better guitars. Quite often these would be old Kays, Harmonys, Wards, Supros, no name parlor guitars, etc. I'd fix them up & do trades to get something better, and eventually worked my way up to Guilds, Gibsons, and Martins.

In the mid '80s, my daughter was born, and I pared it down to two: a Gibson B-25 & Martin 00-18. I virtually stopped playing for many years, as an interest in photography took over the obsessive portion of my nature. Then around 1999, a friend asked me to find a good guitar for him. Lo & behold, guitar lust came back with a vengeance, and soon included electrics.

Since then, many purchases have been instruments that essentially recreate my favorites from the ones that passed through my hands in the '70s. The long range goal was to accumulate a group of instruments while still working, which I could then enjoy restoring & tinkering with in retirement.

And now, just over a year into retirement, it's worked to perfection!

When my wife and I were married thirty years ago this coming Tuesday, we said to each other that there would always be room in our house for books and music. I had one guitar (seldom played) while my children were growing. But later, when I was able to afford the time and the money, I started exploring guitars I could never have acquired when I was young. I've kept the heard fairly small as I have a limited amount of space in my office, but I've had as many as 12 at one time. I've spent the last 10 years or so trading up and trading two for one and the quality of the nine I have now is excellent.

My last "rationalisation" was trading a Taylor 814ce and a Martin 000-17sm for a Martin 000-28vs. One guitar less in the inventory, but ooh that sound is soo sweet!

When my wife and I were married thirty years ago this coming Tuesday, we said to each other that there would always be room in our house for books and music. I had one guitar (seldom played) while my children were growing. But later, when I was able to afford the time and the money, I started exploring guitars I could never have acquired when I was young. I've kept the heard fairly small as I have a limited amount of space in my office, but I've had as many as 12 at one time. I've spent the last 10 years or so trading up and trading two for one and the quality of the nine I have now is excellent.

My last "rationalisation" was trading a Taylor 814ce and a Martin 000-17sm for a Martin 000-28vs. One guitar less in the inventory, but ooh that sound is soo sweet!

First, happy anniversary! Second, congrats on obtaining the Martin 000-28vs!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

As John Bonham smashes his drumkit in the house over my back fence with all his doors/windows open - really loud and not very nice but usually doesn't go long - I got to thinking about this thread and how the 'collecting' thing is fairly endemic to guitar players....

I mean, you don't usually hear of, for example, drummers having 30 drumkits or even trumpet players having 50 trumpets or for the space of say, 30 guitars in cases, the trumpeteer could have what? 300 trumpets in cases?

I mentioned both drums and trumpets because I may buy a trumpet to play at 2 am revenge on drummer time.....but all the same, a trumpet is transportable even more than a guitar, but drums.... (drummer boy just came to a grinding halt - police at his door or broken paradiddleizer? Hang on - he's back.) :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Archived