Gibson Brands Forums

J50 for sale at a good price

MorrisrownSal

I bought a 5 year old J-50 in 2013 at Guitar Center for $1500, looks like they may be going up in price a bit. Here's my solution to the ugly tuners problem. :)

new%20tuners.jpg

I bought a 5 year old J-50 in 2013 at Guitar Center for $1500, looks like they may be going up in price a bit. Here's my solution to the ugly tuners problem. :)

new%20tuners.jpg

nice job Boyd, they look great.

FWIW, here is my thread about replacing the tuners. http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/111365-ntd-new-tuners-day

You will need bushings to adapt the big holes from the Grovers if you want to use "vintage" style tuners. That is no problem, however when you remove the washers from the Grovers, there's going to be a circular mark that looks really ugly. This requires sanding/polishing the headstock, which can be a little scary. I suggest that you remove just one tuner for starters and get an idea of how bad the marks are on the headstock, they were really ugly on mine. Then you can decide whether you are willing to tackle the job. If not, I believe there are some direct replacements for the Grovers that will cover the marks. However, IMO, one of the ugliest things about the Grovers are those big washers so I wanted to get rid of them.

FWIW, here is my thread about replacing the tuners. http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/111365-ntd-new-tuners-day

You will need bushings to adapt the big holes from the Grovers if you want to use "vintage" style tuners. That is no problem, however when you remove the washers from the Grovers, there's going to be a circular mark that looks really ugly. This requires sanding/polishing the headstock, which can be a little scary. I suggest that you remove just one tuner for starters and get an idea of how bad the marks are on the headstock, they were really ugly on mine. Then you can decide whether you are willing to tackle the job. If not, I believe there are some direct replacements for the Grovers that will cover the marks. However, IMO, one of the ugliest things about the Grovers are those big washers so I wanted to get rid of them.

thanks for the info Boyd.

Archived