Gibson Brands Forums

New Addition

RHANK

I finally pulled the trigger on a Hummingbird. I have been looking for a couple of months, and I saw this one on Reverb. It is a 2016 Limited with the figured Hog back and sides. It has the LR Baggs Anthem pickup in it as well. Did a gig a couple of weeks ago and was a little worried about the setup because I didn't get it until a day before. I plug into a TC Helicon Play Acoustic and the sound was great. I was a little concerned about feedback because my sound hole cover would not fit. No problems and no worries!!

I finally pulled the trigger on a Hummingbird. I have been looking for a couple of months, and I saw this one on Reverb. It is a 2016 Limited with the figured Hog back and sides. It has the LR Baggs Anthem pickup in it as well. Did a gig a couple of weeks ago and was a little worried about the setup because I didn't get it until a day before. I plug into a TC Helicon Play Acoustic and the sound was great. I was a little concerned about feedback because my sound hole cover would not fit. No problems and no worries!!

Gorgeous H'bird RHANK! The Anthem has a phase inversion switch, but did you find the pickup is not prone to feedback or do you think the TC Helicon Play Acoustic's setting had something to do with that?

I've always admired LR Baggs products.

Nothing like bringing a Bird back home - it does so much to the outer as inner environment.

Those chrome-tulips literally crowns its personality.

May you have fun together, , , and hopefully more than that. .

It may be heresy, but I'm more drawn to the understated H'Bird bursts than the more dramatic ones on other models like the J45. More subtle blending, muted shades that blend smoothly.

No heresy; the burst on RHank's incoming 'Bird can take on the look of an older naturally finished top that makes the Martin d look like a wallflower in comparison.

Speaking of subtle, this Quilt looks like a pop science experiment gone wrong (how's your gag reflex? To make up for it's look, we'll just make it really expensive: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-CS-Acoustic-Guitar-Montana-Hummingbird-Quilt-Maple-USED-/253046740520?hash=item3aeac2d628:g:W9kAAOSwWdZZaegC :

aHecT69.png

Somewhat reptilian:

LgJ61Tp.png

Get us a pic of that back when you can, R Hank.

No heresy; the burst on RHank's incoming 'Bird can take on the look of an older naturally finished top that makes the Martin d look like a wallflower in comparison.

Speaking of subtle, this Quilt looks like a pop science experiment gone wrong (how's your gag reflex? To make up for it's look, we'll just make it really expensive: http://www.ebay.com/...9kAAOSwWdZZaegC :

aHecT69.png

Somewhat reptilian:

LgJ61Tp.png

Get us a pic of that back when you can, R Hank.

Gag me with spoon ! I would have thought even CFMartin would draw the line at something as butt-ugly as that.

Looks sweet I'd love to see pics of the figured mahogany also.

I will get some of the back and sides this weekend and post Monday. Thanks for all the comments...I am well please so far with the sound. I have a J 45 custom as well that is Rosewood, but I think the Mahogany actually sound better amplified. It could be the pickup though because the J 45 has the under saddle only.

Gorgeous H'bird RHANK! The Anthem has a phase inversion switch, but did you find the pickup is not prone to feedback or do you think the TC Helicon Play Acoustic's setting had something to do with that?

I've always admired LR Baggs products.

Not sure yet why the no feed back whether the TC had something to do with it not sure. Speaking of TC Helicon Play Acoustic, the thing is phenomenal for small 1 person gigs!

I think the Mahogany actually sound better amplified.

This I absolutely agree with...my favourite amplified guitars have always been Mahogany. I do enjoy Maple plugged in as it's very crisp and direct, but it can border on harsh in a way that Mahogany doesn't. I have an identical Fishman Matrix Infinity in my two SJs, the Maple 200 standard and the Mahogany '41 RI 100, and literally the back and sides are the only sonic variable, bar the bridge design. Bling aside, they have the same scale length, top wood, bracing, fretboard and Bridge material, like for like.

Acoustically, the 200 is HUGE sounding...giant bass and chiming trebles, like a grand piano. The 100 is more polite, less loud and warmer, like an upright piano. Plugged in, it's almost like the 200 is just too much information for the pickup, it sounds great but massively complex. The 100 is warm, articulate, expressive and friendly, and as an amplified guitar, I'd pick the 100 for sure.

I've also loved the plugged in tone of both electro Hummingbirds I've owned, and the three Mahogany J45s I've owned (one of which is still here, my '67). My old D18 was a very ordinary sounding guitar acoustically, but through the K&K it was fabulous.

Mahogany just WORKS for me as an amplified tonewood. Weirdly, it doesn't seem to matter which pickup, either.

Appreciate the effort- however, photos are re-sized automatically when you use an image hosting site such as imagur.com. Fairly intuitive over there, and selecting the "direct" link on the right side of the page (once you upload your image there) will allow you to embed here using the "Insert Image" button on this forum's reply form, 2 buttons to the right of Smilie Face.

Looks good, so far.

Edit- just saw most recent 2 photos- looking very nice, good tiger stripe for mahogany.

Appreciate the effort- however, photos are re-sized automatically when you use an image hosting site such as imagur.com. Fairly intuitive over there, and selecting the "direct" link on the right side of the page (once you upload your image there) will allow you to embed here using the "Insert Image" button on this forum's reply form, 2 buttons to the right of Smilie Face.

Looks good, so far.

Edit- just saw most recent 2 photos- looking very nice, good tiger stripe for mahogany.

Thanks for the info...

Archived