Gibson Brands Forums

Hear N' Aid- Stars

Rabs

so...corny.

man they got great voices for rock though!

Yes well it was the 80s :)

I find that a lot of Dios stuff is fairly cheesy but his voice.. Its worth the nonsense lyrics just to listen to him :)

Their voices all sound virtually identical. If I wasn't looking at the video I would think it was all Dio

Haha if you are not paying attention, how can you confuse Dokken, Meniketti, DuBrow or Tate with Dio?

The song had to have a consistent intensity in order to convey a message but sounding the same?

I find that a lot of Dios stuff is fairly cheesy but his voice.. Its worth the nonsense lyrics just to listen to him :)

A time when guitar players could play and rock stars had great voices. Lyrics that were not about depression and misery. Not very many of them committed suicide.

A time when guitar players could play and rock stars had great voices. Lyrics that were not about depression and misery. Not very many of them committed suicide.

Really... I had no idea :P

Unskinny Bop was released in mid-1990, although technically not the 80's it does make wonder why you did not pick Slayer's South of Heaven (released in !988) or Metallica's And Justice for All (released in 1988 as well) or Skid Row (Released in 1989) or GnR's Appetite for Destruction (released in 1987) or Dokken's Back for the Attack released that same year. Or any of Yngwie's albums of the 80's.

What I am saying is that probably you were not listening to the best part of the 80's (my exmaples are all from the late 80's, many more from the early and mid 80's). But it's ok not to be into that stuff.

Hey, I'll tell you what. I just saw Poison live with Def Leppard and Tesla, and they stole the show. It was great time, it may be corny but try and play some of CC DeVille licks and solos and tell me it isn't fun (and musically satisfying) (I would probably not chose Unskinny Bop though)

In the 80's we had Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Hard Rock, Glam and great pop music actually but for some reason, the 90's generation insists on saying that it was all glam and it was great that grunge killed it all, now you have Nickelback (still better than Limp Bizkit) and rock n' roll is on sudden death.

What I am saying is that probably you were not listening to the best part of the 80's (my exmaples are all from the late 80's, many more from the early and mid 80's). But it's ok not to be into that stuff.

Hey, I'll tell you what. I just saw Poison live with Def Leppard and Tesla, and they stole the show. It was great time, it may be corny but try and play some of CC DeVille licks and solos and tell me it isn't fun (and musically satisfying) (I would probably not chose Unskinny Bop though)

In the 80's we had Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Hard Rock, Glam and great pop music actually but for some reason, the 90's generation insists on saying that it was all glam and it was great that grunge killed it all, now you have Nickelback (still better than Limp Bizkit) and rock n' roll is on sudden death.

No no not at all.. I was just mucking around and tried to find the silliest example I could which I do actually realise was 1990 (I actually looked it up before I posted) but since I was joking I thought it acceptable :) (it was either that or Warrant Cherry Pie, which oddly enough also 1990)

I was raised in the 80s... So while I have to agree that a lot of it is cheesy.. I don't care, IT ROCKS :)

It was just music of its time, evolved from what was before and influenced what came after.. Im cool with it.. Just not the stupid spandex and perms ;) (but then most of the 80s if not all can be accused of that)

Hell, my first ever gig was in the late 80s and was Skid Row :)

In the 80's we had Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Hard Rock, Glam and great pop music actually but for some reason, the 90's generation insists on saying that it was all glam and it was great that grunge killed it all

I was raised in the 80s... So while I have to agree that a lot of it is cheesy.. I don't care, IT ROCKS :)

Unfortunately, I think this happens with a lot of decades... people over generalize. It's kind of a shame. Just like the 60s wasn't all peace and love and drugs... the 80s was NOT all silly techno pop and hair metal.

For example look at this run of great albums R.E.M. had during that decade..

Murmur (1983)

Reckoning (1984)

Fables of the Reconstruction (1985)

Lifes Rich Pageant (1986)

Document (1987)

Green (1988)

Maybe we need an 80s music that doesn't suck thread!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AwHCb57huo

Most of my time spent in bands and touring was in the 80's and early to mid 90's. It was definitely a fun time and I played a little of everything, hard rock, metal, hair band, classic rock, 80's pop/rock, grunge, thrash, country, country rock, blues, or whatever else. I'm pretty sure I have this cassette somewhere. It was fun trying to listen to it back in the day to figure out who was who when singing or playing. Good stuff, good memories.

Haha if you are not paying attention, how can you confuse Dokken, Meniketti, DuBrow or Tate with Dio?

The song had to have a consistent intensity in order to convey a message but sounding the same?

I think I'm just not as much of a fan as you. To me they are all doing the same voice, vibrato, etc in this track. I can hear a difference between them but I can't tell how they're not doing the same voice

I personally woulda preferred they just let Dio sing the whole thing. But I think since he wrote the song everyone was bound to sound a bit like him. They prolly even had a demo vocal to follow.

Unfortunately, I think this happens with a lot of decades... people over generalize. It's kind of a shame. Just like the 60s wasn't all peace and love and drugs... the 80s was NOT all silly techno pop and hair metal.

For example look at this run of great albums R.E.M. had during that decade..

Also least we not forget the 80s brought us the total opposite of Glam.. Thrash Metal.. i.e. Metallica... Kill em All is raw and heavy, the riffs on that album are just outstanding and plentiful. Then theres Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and Justice for All... All in the 80s and some of my favourite albums ever made.

I think we're due again for a lot of great guitar oriented bands. There's not that many these days and it's often unusual to hear a guitar solo at all these days. It will take that one artist/band to catch the attention again, probably by doing something classic in a new way and then have a few others join in on the bandwagon. The 80's and early 90's were a fun time to be playing music in clubs and it seems like there were a lot more places to play then than there are now.

I think we're due again for a lot of great guitar oriented bands. There's not that many these days and it's often unusual to hear a guitar solo at all these days.

Really? I don't know what the %$#@ you're listening to...

I think we're due again for a lot of great guitar oriented bands. There's not that many these days and it's often unusual to hear a guitar solo at all these days. It will take that one artist/band to catch the attention again, probably by doing something classic in a new way and then have a few others join in on the bandwagon. The 80's and early 90's were a fun time to be playing music in clubs and it seems like there were a lot more places to play then than there are now.

Actually there are a lot of them but you won't find them by listening to mainstream radio. It just isn't the popular music that they want to shove down our throats on the radio. They want to keep playing the same 5 Led Zepplin songs all day on mainstream rock radio, maybe some Foo Fighters or somethin on "alternative", then the rest is mostly pop

I don't think hair metal or glam metal will be back for a while, right now the big thing on the metal scene is "doom" and "stoner rock" more Sabbath influenced stuff

Actually there are a lot of them but you won't find them by listening to mainstream radio. It just isn't the popular music that they want to shove down our throats on the radio. They want to keep playing the same 5 Led Zepplin songs all day on mainstream rock radio, maybe some Foo Fighters or somethin on "alternative", then the rest is mostly pop

I don't think hair metal or glam metal will be back for a while, right now the big thing on the metal scene is "doom" and "stoner rock" more Sabbath influenced stuff

Giddyup! If you're still listening to the radio you're part of the problem not the solution. Buy some records from young bands instead of supporting the mainstream BS. [thumbup]

If you want some suggestions to get started there are a few folks here who listen to new music. We used to have a thread for it, but that turned into something else unfortunately. :rolleyes:

One easy way to find new stuff is youtube. I subscribe to this list (Stoned Meadow of Doom). Hard to go wrong there. I'll post an album below and you can follow from there if you like. Also watch the suggestions in the right column. Often similar sounding bands are suggested. Then.. buy the albums to support the band - or go see a show. [thumbup]

Going back to the original subject, in the making of video of the song Dio is instructing the others singers how to sing, not so they sing like him because for example Don Dokken could not possibly sound like Dio but the give the song a sense of urgency on the subject and cohesiveness.

To me the 80's ruled from the beginning to the end.

I do understand why the next generation thinks it was all glam metal, because it was all over. Just like me and my early memories of the late 70's and Disco and bands like Bread and other pop acts.

Regarding new rock music, yea the stoner movement has caught like wildfire, that YouTube channel has more stuff you can keep up with. Some bands are great others are like elevator music for rockers. A lot of interesting bands but the song structures are different, definitely less lead work which is not necessarily bad.

I saw Mothership open for Kadavar right here in Nashville, front row, it was glorious, both bands killed it.

There is a lot of great music, but there isn't a push for it, like it or not people used to get hooked on bands because of the radio or videos. Now the distribution of music is different, so spread out.

I wonder where it will all go from here once the big bands start retiring.

Archived