Gibson Brands Forums

1951 Gibson J-185, the Quest

TM

I posted this thread on the UMGF and thought you Gibson fans would enjoy. The J-185 is one of the classics in the Gibson catalog. I know many of you here own J-185. The only guitar I have purchased new is a 1997 blonde J-185 which is on loan to my son.

After a 240 mile trip to Dave's guitar in La Crosse Wisconsin my 30 year quest for a

J-185 ended. In 1975 I went in search of a vintage Dobro, running ads, going to auctions, reading the classifieds. My soon to be brother-in-law was already aware of the value and beauty of old guitars. I bought all the books available at the time, got on the mailing list of Gruhn, Elderly, Mandolin brothers. I saw my first J-185 at Wooden Music in Chicago, they had one of the first guitar shows around 1977. They just opened their store and had a party. The owners name was Jim Beach and one of his favorite guitars was the J-185. He had a blonde one hanging on the wall, but I didn't even touch it. Even then they were most desired and expensive. I got close when I bought a black 1963 Everly Brothers hanging in a pawn shop window in Peoria, Illinois. It had contact paper on the front of the headstock covering an old repair. In 1979 blonde J-185 showed up on Elderly's list. I still have the catalog somewhere. It was in excellent condition and priced, I belive at $900. I had recently bought a 1969 brazillian rosewood D28 from under a bed. Elderly was willing to trade me even for the 185, but I didn't do it.

At least 400 guitars have come and gone since then, yes there were some very nice ones. I needed money and guitars got sold, but they kept coming around. It was a way I supplemented my income and fed my passion.

Their scarcity and mystical status made them a difficult and expensive guitar to find. I had no hopes of finding one locally and I couldn't afford to buy from dealers. I saw a few through the years come and go on eBay. About three years ago I got the nerve to bid one up to 10K and didn't win the auction!

When this 1951 showed up on Dave's website it had no pictures, just a description of a repaired head stock crack they were in the process of touching up, hence the price was within reason. I called Dave the next morning and got a description. He said he would send me some pics as he had another request. I got off the phone and thought about it for a few minutes. I called Dave and told him I was going to buy the guitar, he laughed and ask me if I liked the pictures, of course he hadn't even taken them. I had met Dave at several guitar shows so I let him be my eyes. I closed the deal.

I lifted this copy from Folkway guitars, they do such fine write ups and pics.

Introduced in 1951 only to be discontinued seven years later, the J-185 has achieved near mythical status in the vintage guitar world. A total of 918 J-185's were built in that period (sunburst and natural) - far fewer than the 2500 or so J-35's out there, and a small fraction of the 20,000 or so J-45's and J-50's produced during the same years. 918 instruments might sound like a lot, but that number equals about half of the total production of original Sunburst Les Paul Standards. Rare and desirable are two words that most definitely describe the J-185 model.

It's small-jumbo 16" wide body is a perfect size for both comfort and tone, and coupled with its light bracing and solid maple back and sides provides a tone unlike anything else in vintage guitars.

The last statement says it well. It is like nothing I have played. It is extremely responsive, loud, with great projection. It is just so alive. I took it to a jam Saturday to hear it played. It must be played well because you will be heard. The sound just jumps out of the guitar. It has such dynamic range. Perfect size in your hands. I have owned 50s J-200s and it sounds nothing like those.

To me this guitar represents the best combination of Gibson's maple arch top tradtion in a flat top design. Also the finest looking guitar I think has ever been built.

DAVES%20J-185%20152.jpg

DAVES%20J-185%20158.jpg

DAVES%20J-185%20156.jpg

DAVES%20J-185%20187.jpg

A very nice looking J-185 that is, Terry!! Congrats, I'm as green as the case lining with envy!

If you have any more pics, send them to me or post them here, as I'd like to add them to my files on the venerable J-185.

Love to hear it someday, in person.

Fred

Congratulations Terry, that's a fine guitar. 50 years is a long time to wait, but I'll bet it was worth it. An original J-185 is on my short list of "would love to have's" as well. Not that I have any hope of ever finding one that I can afford. Still, one can hope.

Tell me, is the pickguard original? And, what is the material? Maybe my eyes are getting old, but it doesn't look like celluloid to me.

Thanks for the comments folks. I wish I could take more credit for the guitar, as it is I was at least smart enough to buy it! Good eye on the pickguard. Yes, it is original and one way to know it is a 51. This was the first guitar that gibson used the big guard, or batwing as I here it called. This color of guard was used on the 51 and on some of the 52s. They also used this material on the other pickguards of the time. It is a little harder to notice on the J 45 sized guitars, but look for it and you will notice it. Woody Mann's guitar has the same guard and I believe I read that his is a 52. You don't see the guard past that year and they are not on all the guitars. I like it better than the later guards and others don't like this one.

50 years is a long time to wait, but I'll bet it was worth it. An original J-185 is on my short list of "would love to have's" as well. Not that I have any hope of ever finding one that I can afford. Still, one can hope.

Yes, I have grey hair, but I'm not that old. There have been more for sale the last couple of years than I recall. A J-185 just came on gbase priced at $7900. That is about as low a price as you will find. I would get it if I could trade, but he is mostly an electric dealer so I would take a beating on an acoustic trade.

I haven't had the opportunity to play it against my 97, but they are two different guitars. The 97 is a fine guitar but doesn't have quite the sound of the 51.

Fred, I finally got one!!!!!!!

Maybe now I can rest.

Thanks, Terry

No, I don't remember the first song. Probably something of my own fingerpicking in the Key of E. It sounds great with fingers or flat pick.

By the way Gilliangirl I have a guitar for you. A 1956 Gibson J-50. Looks very similar to the guitar Gillian Welch plays. Do you know what year her J-50 is? I have it for sale. I have pics on my webpage.

http://home.comcast.net/~tmitchell59/site/?/photos/

You can take that DeArmond pickup out.

Fred, I will post some more pics of the J-185 on my webpage for your files. I have pics of a few on my computer. Probably the same guitars you have.

A Love Story? Well, I think the J-185 is the sexiest guitar ever built. Not sure what that says about me!

Thanks, Terry

that's fantastic Terry. What a gorgeous patina. Nothin' else like 'em. How's the tone?

No one can describe tone quite like you Modac. I was thinking of you when I describe the guitar as the best melding of Gibson maple arch top and flat top construction. Going back to a discussion about Gibsons roots in arch top guitars.

It is the most alive guitar, very responsive, with great dynamics. It can easily overpower a singer or other guitars. This was evident when I took it to our Saturday jam. I let all the players play it, from real good players to less so. Big Jim is a good player and has a great big country voice. He also plays hard. It really overpowered his voice in the way he is playing it. He got control of it during the session. A less adept player could be heard and that wasn't so good! It is a guitar that you have to control because it can get out of hand, if that makes any sense. None of the jam players are in to vintage guitars, all of them commented on the projection, the cut of the guitar.

To me it is certainly a guitar that lives up to it's reputation. I don't suppose it is a guitar for everyone, but what really is.

Terry

No' date=' I don't remember the first song. Probably something of my own fingerpicking in the Key of E. It sounds great with fingers or flat pick.

By the way Gilliangirl I have a guitar for you. A 1956 Gibson J-50. Looks very similar to the guitar Gillian Welch plays. Do you know what year her J-50 is? I have it for sale. I have pics on my webpage.

http://home.comcast.net/~tmitchell59/site/?/photos/

You can take that DeArmond pickup out.

Fred, I will post some more pics of the J-185 on my webpage for your files. I have pics of a few on my computer. Probably the same guitars you have.

A Love Story? Well, I think the J-185 is the sexiest guitar ever built. Not sure what that says about me!

Thanks, Terry[/quote']

OMG, I might just faint! Gillian's guitar is a '56!! Headin' over to the webpage, heart a'pounding!

Archived