Gibson Brands Forums

I went to Russo's yesterday

MorrisrownSal

I brought my 2011 HD-28 as trade bait, as it is a great sounding guitar - just one I am not too emotional about.

I tried the new J45 Vintage. I tried a 1997 Hummingbird early 60s reissue. I tried a J45 Custom Rosewood. I tried a Taylor 316CE. I tried a Martin 000-15, and a plain jane J45 from 2016.

The two best were the standard J45, and the Taylor 316ce, if I am being objective.

I did ask what I would get for my HD-28 on a trade, and I politely but respectfully went home with my HD-28.

I guess sometimes its good to visit your music stores, and check out the wares, even for no other reason except to remind you of how good the guitars you have are.

By the way - again their standard J45 (with the flubber guard) sounded great... but it had nowhere near the crispness, volume, and low end as my J50. I still would have liked it. Beautiful burst...

Wasn't there a story we were told when young about a bear who had caught a fish, had it in his mouth. and looked in the lake and saw the reflection of his fish, looking bigger. So, he dropped his to try to grab the reflection?

(Or maybe it was just my mother's way of telling me my head REALLY wasn't as big as it looked in the mirror.)

I did ask what I would get for my HD-28 on a trade, and I politely but respectfully went home with my HD-28.

yep.. to be expected... when I was doing "time" in the local store, the owners were always looking to discourage a trade by low balling any one looking for one. 2 transactions, (one goes in, one goes out) verses just the one "going out"... if the customer agreed to it, fine, the store would eventually make out ok. but man, some of those trade deals were just brutal.

Archived